search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #81
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
Since you travel often to different Southern cities, I'd be interested in seeing your real list.
Good point krazeeboi, I've been to most mid-size and large cities in the US several times (job demands). It's silly to pick a list.

Anyway, let me add to the silliness.

My Favorite Southern Cities/Metros:

1. Dallas/FW, TX
2. Atlanta, GA
3. Miami, FL
4. Houston, TX
5. New Orleans, LA
6. Orlando, FL
7. Tampa Bay, FL
8. Nashville, TN
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Richmond, VA
11. San Antonio, TX
12. Raleigh/Durham, NC
13. Norfolk/Va. Beach, VA
14. Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
15. Memphis, TN
16. Columbia, SC
17. Jacksonville, FL
18. Austin, TX
19. Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
20. Mobile, AL

You can play schuffle board with each group of 5 or 6.

OK, this is not a historic or touristy list, but based on WHAT I LIKE to do when I get to town.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Birmingham, Huntsville, Jackson, Louisville, Lexington, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Little Rock or Columbus or some of the smaller metros. But, I've been to them all (just not enough time to be objective).

The reason I enjoy Dallas so much is that for the most part, it's clean with tremendous growth and the surrounding mini-cities have tons of activity. Ditto for the ATL and HOU. I'm a bit biased as I tend to spend a tad more time in Dallas versus the other two.

Anyway, in the top 7 (you can find anything and everything in those), the bottom 13 are not as large or as diverse but possess unique characteristics that make each very interesting.

I could create an entirely different list for a ONE or TWO day visit (Charleston, Asheville, Wilmington, Savannah, Galveston, etc).
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #82
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

^Pretty cool list. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #83
TVN

Likes (Received): 150

Hello US
I am from Denmark, i wanna ask you what makes a soutern city better than an other soutern city?
What is the thing that makes an american city good?
when a city in Denmark attraktive, its because it have a lot of old buildings in its downtown. (Old=1700century)
In the old cities we injoy the charm and the Carlsberg beers.

TVN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #84
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 55

hello denmark, we too have old buildings (built in the 1970's) here in the south and we drink miller light.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #85
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

TVN, I understand your point, and you are correct. However, we need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. The New World was just that: new. It took many years to create impressive architecture and make it the norm, even in Europe. The population boom in the United States, in many cases, created demand for housing at fast rates, which removed the most important variable to building impressive buildings: time. Naturally, the material found in abundance (wood) became popular; very different from the European standards.

Overall, Europe is a different beast. It has a wealth of old architecture - still standing. This is precisely what makes Europe attractive to visitors. The traditions were better kept, although changes in the demographics and ethnic composition of the European countries will certainly bring y'all a bit closer to the fabric of the United States. With those changes, your landscape and architecture may also be altered. Eventually, many of those nice old buildings may be replaced with bigger, more modern structures, in order to meet the increasing demand for living space. I do not know what the population increase rates are in Denmark, but I can assure you that in the South, those rates are pretty high. Unfortunately, the need for housing surpasses the need for elegance.

As for the beer, we do have some nice ones here. I am no expert in beer making, so I cannot make any comparisons to what you guys enjoy on the other side of the Atlantic, but the ones I tried can be rated highly. If you ever visit our area (Raleigh, North Carolina) go to the Flying Saucer, in the downtown area. They are a small chain, found in many Southern cities, but they have a nice selection of beers, including several from North Carolina.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #86
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
hello denmark, we too have old buildings (built in the 1970's) here in the south and we drink miller light.
Just noticed something in the above statement... We have buildings that date back to the 1800's, not just 1970's. Unless of course jmancuso meant that as a joke

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #87
PiperPig
Deep South Pillsbury

Likes (Received): 0

^ But we do drink Miller Light. Now that's the good life. Sometimes, I like to get a little sophisticated, maybe head downtown and drink a little Stella; maybe throw on some Ryan Adams. But you know, every now and then, I just have to throw open some PBR and crank up some Marshall Tucker Band or Drive By Truckers. Whoohooo.

Last edited by PiperPig; May 6th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
PiperPig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #88
yakirz

Carlsberg was one of my favorite beers in Israel, it was the third most popular from what I could tell (Maccabee and Goldstar, Israeli beers, being more popular). I don't drink it here, though; I like Red Stripe (a Jamaican beer, for our Danish friend).

As for old buildings, we have some in the south, just not as many, or as old, as in Europe. Cities like Charleston, South Carolina, New Orleans, Louisiana, etc. have buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. I doubt you'd find much that is older than that. However, you can see Indian mounds that are thousands of years old, in places such as Moundville, Alabama (south of Tuscaloosa).

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

I beg your pardon, Mama, what did you say?
My mind was drifting off on Martinique Bay.
It's not that I'm not interested, you see;
Augusta, Georgia, is just no place to be.

An American Dream
yakirz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #89
Cannonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVN View Post
Hello US
I am from Denmark, i wanna ask you what makes a soutern city better than an other soutern city?
What is the thing that makes an american city good?
when a city in Denmark attraktive, its because it have a lot of old buildings in its downtown. (Old=1700century)
In the old cities we injoy the charm and the Carlsberg beers.

You'd like New Orleans. We don't demolish old buildings, and we have lots of beer.
Cannonized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #90
bisco_ale
bisco_ale

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
Man, I respect your list, but, if you find Nashville, Memphis, and San Antonio more important than New Orleans then I have to question what you know about the American economy and the importance of New Orleans and neighboring ports in the Metro area comprising the busiest port system in the entire world.
This thead its called the Top 10 Southern cities, to me its an overall rank, New Orleans has the biggest port, besides that, crime rate is the worst in the US, standard living its one of the lowest in the south, and those things matter to me, and I do think new orleans shouldnt be in my list. sorry if i came out so harsh, dont question me like i dont know anything about the american economy, very rude.

Im a Raleigh city planner, and right now cities like nashville, San Antonio, and even Raleigh havent been affected with the U.S. resession as bad as cities in the north and new orleans. Great number of huge corporations and population are moving to this areas. Nashville and raleigh are in the top 10 US for best cities to do business

Alcatel-Lucent
Siemens Power Transportation & Distribution Division
Progress Energy
Red Hat
IBM Corporation
ABB Asea Brown Boveri
First Citizens Bank
Golden Corral
RBC Centura Bank
Lenovo
Cisco Systems
Carquest
Nortel Networks
Martin Marietta Materials
Eaton Corporation

the pharmaceutical capital of U.S
this are some headquartes in raleigh

Nashville, the signature tower will be the 8th tallest building in the U.S. in 2009 the largest outside Chicago and New York. Nashville has more than 220 health care companies including Hospital Corporation of America, the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. AT&Theadquartes, dollar general, Sony, nissan, automotive is huge in Nashville. the largest religious denominations in the south headquarters in Nashville.
Banks have a stronge presence like Suntrust, Bank of america.
here are some others

Arrangers' Publishing Company
Back Yard Burgers
Baldwin Piano Company
Bridgestone Americas Holding
Captain D's
Caremark Rx
Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation
Central Parking Corporation
Corrections Corporation of America
Country Music Television
Gaylord Entertainment Company
Genesco Inc.
Gibson Guitars
Griffin Technology
Ingram Barge Company
J. Alexander's
Jerry Jones Guitars
LifeWay Christian Resources
Logan's Roadhouse
Louisiana-Pacific Corporation
O'Charley's
PrimeFlight
Purity Dairies
Shoney's
SMS Holdings
Stoney River
Thomas Nelson Publishing
Vanguard Health Systems
Asurion
Sitel
Pinnacle Financial
SESAC
Yazoo Brewing Company
Tractor Supply Company
Delek US Holdings
Cracker Barrel

Memphis besides the fact that its the largest cargo HUB in the world
AutoZone Incorporated, Belz Enterprises, Buckeye Technologies, First Horizon National Corporation, Guardsmark, Hohenberg Bros. Co., Harrah's, Hilton, ServiceMaster, and Morgan Keegan & Company,
bisco_ale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #91
Sinkingingoo
Sinkingingoo

Actually New Orleans isn't even in the Top 25 when it comes to worst overall crime rates.
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

ISeatz recently moved it's headquarters back from NYC after Katrina because of the quality of life.
http://nolareport.com/2007/11/local-...atz-plans.html

Also, last year Harrah's moved its reqional offices from Memphis to New Orleans.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_n18636383
Sinkingingoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #92
PiperPig
Deep South Pillsbury

I love run-on sentences sprinkled with tons of information about random stuff.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #93
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperPig View Post
I love run-on sentences sprinkled with tons of information about random stuff.
Go bake me some cookies doughboy.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #94
Skyliner
The Creative 1

I decided to pick one favorite city from each southern state, including Texas:
  1. Greenville, South Carolina - It has more than earned my love.
  2. Asheville, North Carolina - Has all the charm of a small historic city in the mountains.
  3. Austin, Texas - Hip and a great role model for many other growing cities.
  4. Chattanooga, Tennessee - Fun outdoors-focused city with exciting new revitalization.
  5. Huntsville, Alabama - Healthy business and great location near the mountains.
  6. Hot Springs, Arkansas - Charming town and beautiful setting in the mountains.
  7. Gainesville, Georgia - Growing small city with abundant surrounding natural beauty
  8. Columbus, Mississippi - Historic small town with charm.
  9. Orlando, Florida - Vibrant and fun city with plenty of tourism year-round
  10. Anything in Louisiana?
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #95
JPKneworleans

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisco_ale View Post

Im a Raleigh city planner, and right now cities like nashville, San Antonio, and even Raleigh havent been affected with the U.S. resession as bad as cities in the north and new orleans.
New Orleans has not been hit by the "resession". It hasn't even even been hit by the recession, either. There's so much construction going on here that we don't have enough workers to keep up.

New Orleans' recent history has been terrible, i.e., too much corruption, etc. Those days are ending, and New Orleans will once again be on the rise.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #96
PiperPig
Deep South Pillsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Go bake me some cookies doughboy.
I'm on a diet!!
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #97
SlidellWeather

Likes (Received): 45

Yup...New Orleans is recession proof thanks to $125/barrel oil. We also have shipping and banking interests headquartered here that are doing quite well.

Top Publicly Traded Companies

Entergy Corporation
Pool Corp.
Tidewater, Inc.
Superior Energy Services
Whitney Holding Corp.
Stewart Enterprises, Inc.
Energy Partners, Ltd.
Hornbeck Offshore Services
Mc Moran Exploration
GS Financial Corp.

Top Private Companies

Imperial Trading
Pan-American Life Insurance
Laitram LLC
Randa Accessories
Intermarine LLC
Canal Barge Co.
Al Copeland Investments Inc.
Smoothie King
USES Corp./U.S. Environmental Services LLC

Source: CityBusiness Book of Lists 2007-08, edited by GNO, Inc.

Here's one assessment of our market...

http://http://www.housingzone.com/ProBuilder/article/CA6557760.html
SlidellWeather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #98
Cannonized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I decided to pick one favorite city from each southern state, including Texas:
  1. Greenville, South Carolina - It has more than earned my love.
  2. Asheville, North Carolina - Has all the charm of a small historic city in the mountains.
  3. Austin, Texas - Hip and a great role model for many other growing cities.
  4. Chattanooga, Tennessee - Fun outdoors-focused city with exciting new revitalization.
  5. Huntsville, Alabama - Healthy business and great location near the mountains.
  6. Hot Springs, Arkansas - Charming town and beautiful setting in the mountains.
  7. Gainesville, Georgia - Growing small city with abundant surrounding natural beauty
  8. Columbus, Mississippi - Historic small town with charm.
  9. Orlando, Florida - Vibrant and fun city with plenty of tourism year-round
  10. Anything in Louisiana?
Your attempt at comedy notwithstanding... Your favorite city in Florida is Orlando?... unless you are 8 years old, I can't agree with your opinion here. How can you think highly of a city like Austin, TX and in the same typing stroke include Orlando, FL? That place is everything that goes against everything that cities like Austin and New Orleans are all about. It's fake... no soul, no history... nothing. Throw it in with Las Vegas... without the fun for adults.

Last edited by Cannonized; May 10th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Cannonized no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #99
BhamDKH
Oranje boven alles!

My top ten Southern cities:

1. Maastricht- practically a Belgian city, has great arts and dining scenes
2. Leiden- "Where Rembrandt saw the light". Home to the oldest university in the Netherlands and the first township to declare independence from Spain
3. The Hague- classic Dutch central core with tons of diplomats making for a very international city
4. Delft- where all the Delft flatware (obviously) comes from. Great old cathedral
5. Gouda- where all the Gouda cheese (obviously) comes from.
6. Nijmegen- Old Hanzestad buildings remain, with modern design influences adding a nice touch where appropriate
7. Hoek van Holland- because of the beach!
8. Tilburg- great college town
9. Bronkhorst- smallest town in the Netherlands, dates back to 600
10. Den Bosch- emerging club scene with a nice old center

Since we're on the subject, my BOTTOM five Southern Cities are:

5. Eindhoven- murder capital, PSV, too much Philips stuff everywhere
4. Venray- case in point of why soulless sprawl is bad
3. Breda- BOOOORING!
2. Scheveniningen- beach is too damn busy
1. Rotterdam- YUCK! Nice skyscrapers and vibrant port are outweighed by the problem youths from Turkey and Morocco that roam the streets. Case in point of the failed Dutch immigration policies of the 1980s-1990s. Plus, Feyenoord is from Rotterdam.

Oh, wait, were you all talking about the Southeast United States? I'm sorry, the forum title said "Southern Cities".

In all seriousness, some of the older posters here know I used to live in Birmingham. I don't miss much about the South but I do miss college football Saturdays, barbecue, and most important how genuinely nice the people are throughout the region. So, my point is, discussions like these are petty and a waste of time because Southern culture and its quirky charm enhances the region as a whole because of shared similarities. It is also enhanced when there are less divisive competitions over differences (we heard about the GA-TN-AL water wars in the news over here). Tot ziens, allemaal!
BhamDKH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #100
ikerguelen
ikerguelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
List is based on overall significance to the American economy for Southern Cities:

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Miami
5. New Orleans
6. Charlotte
7. Tampa
8. Nashville
9. San Antonio
10. Memphis

11. Jacksonville
I agree.