search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has the best Southeastern skyline?
Atlanta 37 25.52%
Charlotte 15 10.34%
Dallas 24 16.55%
Houston 40 27.59%
Miami 29 20.00%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Best Southeastern Skyline & Poll

Because the Best Texas Skyline has been met with much criticism, and thanks to an idea by portyhead in the Texas Skyline Photothread, i decided to make a poll for all of the Southeastern region to enjoy.

Ok, if i didn't include your city, its because i don't think it is in the same level as the candidates. So no hard feelings, and feel free to post pics as well as discuss.

This is not limited to just CBD's, as long as the skylines are in the city limits

BUT IF YOU FEEL that i was wrong to not include your city, then discuss why it should be in the same league as these candidates.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I prefer Atlanta. Its not as continuous as Miami, but it has height and nice clusters. I also think the trees and hills add to the view.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

I suppose we're speaking of "Southern" skylines here and not "Southeastern" since the Texas metros are included. But then again, that goes back to the name of this subforum and so on and so forth...

Atlanta's skyline is unique in that there are three core skylines in downtown, midtown (which now includes Atlantic Station), and Buckhead that are connected along the linear spine that is Peachtree. It also has the most architectural variation among its towers with multiple spires, crowns, fins, etc. Of note are the suburban Perimeter and Cumberland skylines.

Charlotte's skyline is great, ultra modern and ever-expanding; it's a little hard to believe that we've got skyline-transforming towers under construction right now in the middle of a recession (a 40+ story, a 50+ story, and a 30 story). However, I think it still has some ground to make up before it's on the level of the "big boys" of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami.

The skylines of Dallas and Houston are similar in that they have one main core, clustered skyline surrounded by smaller skylines; obviously Houston's is on a larger scale than Dallas's. While Houston's main skyline is massive, it's not as architecturally appealing to me as Atlanta's or even Charlotte's. However, there are some gems in there and I particularly like Main Place, which is under construction. Of note is that Houston has the tallest skyscraper in the nation not located in a CBD (Williams Tower) and the Texas Medical Center district is quite impressive for being a medical district. Dallas's skyline has a bit more flair to it (e.g. Reunion Tower), but could use just a little more expansion IMO.

Out of all of these skylines, Miami's has probably come the farthest in the shortest period of time; it's been the U.S. version of Dubai for some time now. It's pretty expansive, but I'm not the biggest fan of skylines being dominated by condo towers; I think it detracts from the aesthetics of the skyline.

So with all of that said, my choice is Atlanta:

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Correct, i wouldn't group Texas to the Southeast, but its part of the sub-forum.....

And a Houston Picture, i like this view because its not a traditional skyline district shot.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

It probably doesnt have the sheer size of the other skylines (yet) but I went with Charlotte. I could look at the skyline all day, and there always seems like there is something new popping up.
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6
ThirdCoastSkyline

Likes (Received): 0

I like Atlanta's skylines, but the main one, Downtown doesn't do it for me. There isn't enough of a variation of colors as opposed to other cities,during the day. At night though, the skyline explodes in color.
I really only think as Atlanta having 2 major skylines, Downtown and Buckhead. Midtown is way to close to Downtown and usually comes out in shots with Downtown. But Atlanta does have some notable crowns and spires.

Ah, Charlotte. This city is visually stunning, and has many unique buildings that fit so well to become a singular skyline. I give it a couple more years, and it will REALLY compete with the other cities, mentioned.

Dallas has a lot of cool buildings, individually. As a skyline, it overdoes itself. And some would say Reunion Tower is tacky, and i would agree, and it just looks like an oversized version of the Sunsphere in Knoxville, Tennessee.( i know Reunion was built in 1978 and Sunsphere in 1982, but still) Way too many clashing of buildings, imo. Some views of Dallas are nice, and some buildings even nicer.

And Houston, my choice, has three distinctive skylines and all hold significance to the city. Uptown anchored by Williams Tower, stretches its area, and i would like to see more infill. But you cant help, but hold your breath at the 900 footer. Uptown, the shopping and fashion mecca of Houston, not to mention the hotels.
The Texas Medical Center is fairly low, compared to the other skylines, but has many buildings that stand out. And it's a cityscape thats always changing and getting denser. Its in an amazing location, and just looks good in so many ways.
Downtown is my favorite skyline in Texas, and all of the buildings seems to "flow" with each other. I thinks its time for taller skyscrapers to be built, as the skyline hasn't seen any notable recent changes. But it still all defines the city well, and there's enough variation of colors. I wish we had more crowns or spires, but im satisfied with what we got.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 43

Houston. It is the best. Love Atlanta and Dallas, but, sorry, Houston's skyline is better than both of these cities.
Sean in New Orleans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #8
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Houston..

Downtown

Uptown
image hosted on flickr

Dallas and Atlanta aren't bad. Atlanta is tops for architecture but Houston's skyline would still dominate the ATL.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Miami -

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #10
ThirdCoastSkyline

Oops, forgot to do Miami

Well although many cities would love to have the number of high-rises Miami has,
most of its skyline looks like a wall of condos, hotels, and apartments. Although it does have
some notable office buildings, it becomes underwhelming compared to the rest of the skyline.

In fact, i can only think of 1 city in the US that has pulled off a large number of high-rises
and still be visually stunning, not just for architecture but for quantity as well. And that is
Chicago, NYC has too many, so i wont include it. Miami simply can't pull of an amazing skyline
without more notable architecture that is present in office buildings. It's a cool skyline just
because of its sheer size, but thats about it.

And since nobody has posted some Texas Medical Center pictures.

Can't really get a skyline shot that does the TMC justice, but this shot shows what i mean by good location. Next to the Museum District, Hermann Park(include Houston Zoo), and Rice University.

And one of many buildings that stand out, at least for a skyline of its size.
This is the O'Quinn Medical Towers at St.Lukes

Last edited by ThirdCoastSkyline; August 23rd, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
ThirdCoastSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #11
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

1.) Charlotte
2.) Miami
3.) Dallas
4.) Atlanta
5.) Houston

My preference
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #12
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

bleh, not this type of thread again.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:04 PM   #13
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
bleh, not this type of thread again.

-
I never been on one of these types of threads, but I think it's interesting because everyone tries to find the best pics of the city they choose

Here's some of the queen city

image hosted on flickr

IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #14
UrbanEssence

1-Houston
2-Atlanta
3-Dallas
4-Miami
5-Charlotte

I hate the composition of Miami's Skyline(s), but the reason its not last is its quantity of buildings is good, regardless of architecture. And Charlotte is too small, to even be considered, but its still no. 5 in the Southeast.

6-New Orleans
7-Austin
8-Tampa
9-Nashville
10-Ft.Worth/Mobile/Orlando/Jacksonville/Memphis/San Antonio/Shreveport
17-Birmingham/Any Condo Wall in FL/Knoxville/Jackson/Little Rock/OKC
23-Any Condo Wall in FL/El Paso/Corpus Christi/Tulsa/Charleston

The bottom 10-26 can be rearranged. Any Condo Wall in Fl may include cities like Miami Beach, etc.
UrbanEssence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #15
UrbanEssence

double post.
UrbanEssence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #16
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
Houston. It is the best. Love Atlanta and Dallas, but, sorry, Houston's skyline is better than both of these cities.
In what way?
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #17
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanEssence View Post
1-Houston
2-Atlanta
3-Dallas
4-Miami
5-Charlotte

I hate the composition of Miami's Skyline(s), but the reason its not last is its quantity of buildings is good, regardless of architecture. And Charlotte is too small, to even be considered, but its still no. 5 in the Southeast.

6-New Orleans
7-Austin
8-Tampa
9-Nashville
10-Ft.Worth/Mobile/Orlando/Jacksonville/Memphis/San Antonio/Shreveport
17-Birmingham/Any Condo Wall in FL/Knoxville/Jackson/Little Rock/OKC
23-Any Condo Wall in FL/El Paso/Corpus Christi/Tulsa/Charleston

The bottom 10-26 can be rearranged. Any Condo Wall in Fl may include cities like Miami Beach, etc.
What about Raleigh/Richmond/Louisville/Columbia/Winston-Salem/Greenville/Greensboro/Lexington/Norfolk/Chattanooga/Montgomery/Huntsville/and Durham?
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #18
JorgiPorgi

Likes (Received): 103

1.Atlanta- due to the diversity of the buildings...I like spires, and there are plenty here. I dislike the lack of density in some parts of the skyline..I love Boa Atlanta at night.

2. Houston- beautiful buildings. Very dense center, but then it spreads out linearly forever..I've always been impressed with Houston.

3. Charlotte- as far as size, its not in the league of Miami, Atlanta, or Houston, but its not in the league of Nashville, Louisville, or Jacksonville either..It kind of sits in its own category. Beautiful, new skyline, that continues to grow. The buildings are tall and gorgeous. A pretty damn dense skyline. Definetely belongs in the top 5.

4. Dallas- Skyscrapers on the plains..A photogenic skyline, but for some reason, isnt as impressive as Houston. In my personal opinion, there isn't enough diversity in the architecture to be as good as Houston.

5. Miami- Beautiful scenery. Lots of boxes though..Also, a lot of high-rise condos. I would say this is probably the biggest skyline, but too much residential. If you were to just look at an outline of the Miami skyline, most wouldn't be able to tell if it was miami, or just a collection of tall buildings. You could easily pick out Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, or Dallas.

6. Austin

7. Louisville

8. Nashville

9.Richmond

10. Jacksonville

11. Winston Salem

12. Raleigh

13. Birmingham

14. Memphis

15. Asheville/Wilmington/Charleston/Savannah- love the talll church spires and old architecture these cities offer.

That's my top 15.
JorgiPorgi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #19
krazeeboi

I'd put New Orleans somewhere within the 6,7,8,9 range.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #20
portyhead

Likes (Received): 6

All the competing skylines are great, but with all the construction that has been done in uptown Dallas, I feel Dallas has probably the best nighttime skyline. I love this pic taken from Oak Cliff. Photo courtesy of Ninjatune

image hosted on flickr
portyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote