search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has the best Southeastern skyline?
Atlanta 37 25.52%
Charlotte 15 10.34%
Dallas 24 16.55%
Houston 40 27.59%
Miami 29 20.00%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #101
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Now that thats out of my system, SRG is once again missing the point.

The OP asked the question which city has a better skyline. Not which city has the tallest buildings, not which city has the most buildings, not what tier a city belonged in. They asked which city has the better, which means pick your favorite.

Obviously Charlotte does not have the tallest or the most, but it is the most appealing to my eye. The same way I think Des Moines has a better skyline than Nashville. I would never live in DM, dont think its even close to Nashville in terms of a city/metro, but I do think the skyline looks better.

Maybe one day you will be comfortable enough with your own city (and maybe even your own skin) that you wont feel the need to rank everything and elevate or devalue cities for no reason.

Until then go back to your blog and 'try your best to get meaningful, debate-provoking posts up every other day or so' so that people can have the following discussions:

"I saw the Producers last time I was in NYC. I really liked it more than the movie."

"Yeah the movie isn't very good at all."

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...89094901&pli=1

Which is better than the zero comments your blog posts normally get/
My dog died today. I had him for 15 years. His name was Mack..

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM   #102
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

I vote Atlanta. But of those five, I've only seen two in person... that one and Charlotte.

Apart from the list, I have to list a couple more skylines that I really like:

First, from my home state:
Richmond... approaching downtown on either I-95 North or I-64 West makes you feel like you're coming to a much bigger city than it is. It'd be nice if the city could get back to 1970s numbers.
Norfolk... same deal as Richmond, but 1950s instead of 1970s.
Roanoke... for a city its size, it looks pretty good up top.

Next:
Tampa
Raleigh (up and coming!)
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:13 AM   #103
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Not that anyone asked but...IMO New Orleans has the best looking skyline in the south. It is (to me) by far the most evocative of them all (in that looking at it makes me think that there is really interesting stuff to find within its streets). That's what appeals to me about a skyline, its ability to draw me in. The others mentioned inspire in me a minimal desire to get down to the street level and explore the city. If a skyline doesn't draw me in, it isn't a good one, no matter how tall or pretty it is.
Interesting way to judge a skyline. But I don't really see how New Orleans's skyline can really draw one in to explore the city on the street level. Of course, that's where New Orleans really excels, but for me, it would be cities that have older towers as their most prominent ones that would really make me think there's something on the street worth seeing, and the most prominent towers in the New Orleans skyline aren't really that old.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:40 AM   #104
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
Interesting way to judge a skyline. But I don't really see how New Orleans's skyline can really draw one in to explore the city on the street level. Of course, that's where New Orleans really excels, but for me, it would be cities that have older towers as their most prominent ones that would really make me think there's something on the street worth seeing, and the most prominent towers in the New Orleans skyline aren't really that old.
I love how you guys are looking at what is SUPPOSED to be looked at in Downtowns. You both are on target, IMO. Density matters. Old matters. Mirrors suck...they will be old in 20 years and ugly. Prominent buildings DO MATTER!! The tallest buildings in New Orleans are the newest, but, the prominent buildings ARE the oldest....that's why I'm proud of my city and that's what so many come to see!! For those that want to see the Southern density in New Orleans--it is worth seeing. And it is urban. It really is the most urban area in the entire South. You can feel it when you are there. There is energy in the people. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, & Charlotte do have a newer, taller skyline, but, there is one thing that I can completely assure you....not even one of them is remotely close to the density of New Orleans if that is what you like. There are many areas in the density of Downtown New Orleans where you will not get direct sun. The only two Downtowns that I have been to that remind me of the density you see in New Orleans is New York and Chicago. They're bigger, for sure, but, although smaller in area, you will find the density in New Orleans. And you will feel that urban energy. It's there. You know what I'm talking about.....

Last edited by Sean in New Orleans; August 31st, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Sean in New Orleans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM   #105
spencer114

Likes (Received): 443

With regards to New Orleans, its all about the scale. I’m not a big fan of the monolithic tower that takes up an entire block. Even from miles away you can tell that a city full of those isn’t going to be very interesting, at least not in its downtown area. New Orleans does have its share of full square block buildings but even from a distant it is evident that they are outnumbered by smaller high and mid-rises which suggest that the city has been a big city for a longer period of time (as the downtown was developed with tall buildings before the 1960’s). Older urbanized areas = more interesting places for me. I like water towers on top of buildings, fire escapes and iron building fronts and bridges…There is also a lack of a corporate feel to the skyline of New Orleans. There aren’t many corporate names visible on the buildings (except for some hotels). It doesn’t have any post modern skyscrapers. I see post modern architecture and can’t help but think that lame mall and suburban amenities are near-by. A post modern skyscraper suggest that there is an Applebee’s located in its lobby and that’s not cool with me. While the high-rises in NO are a bit bland the power of them is greater than the sum of their parts. They make a big, thick and far reaching skyline that to me suggests that the urban area is big and full of human scale spaces. It all comes down to taste. I prefer Northeast and Midwest cities. New Orleans looks and feels more like Cincinnati and Milwaukee to me. I was amazed by how NE the city felt when I visited. The skyline filled me with excitement. I can’t say the same about Atlanta (cheap and plastic, to me) or Dallas (tacky and ugly, again.. to me). Miami was OK, looked shinny and bigger than I was expecting. I was drawn into Charlotte the first time that I visited but that was because I had never even heard of the city before I visited there in the early 90’s. Never been to Houston.

spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM   #106
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

New Orleans' skyline besides being really ugly totally contradicts what that city is all about.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #107
Hia-leah JDM

Anyways, heres a bit of a different look at Downtown Miami

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Hia-leah JDM; August 31st, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM   #108
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 43

At least New Orleans is occupied--when you look at that skyline, know that it is 93% occupied---better than a Downtown full of nothing but a bunch of empty foreclosed condo towers.
Sean in New Orleans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM   #109
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
With regards to New Orleans, its all about the scale. I’m not a big fan of the monolithic tower that takes up an entire block. Even from miles away you can tell that a city full of those isn’t going to be very interesting, at least not in its downtown area. New Orleans does have its share of full square block buildings but even from a distant it is evident that they are outnumbered by smaller high and mid-rises which suggest that the city has been a big city for a longer period of time (as the downtown was developed with tall buildings before the 1960’s). Older urbanized areas = more interesting places for me. I like water towers on top of buildings, fire escapes and iron building fronts and bridges…There is also a lack of a corporate feel to the skyline of New Orleans. There aren’t many corporate names visible on the buildings (except for some hotels). It doesn’t have any post modern skyscrapers. I see post modern architecture and can’t help but think that lame mall and suburban amenities are near-by. A post modern skyscraper suggest that there is an Applebee’s located in its lobby and that’s not cool with me. While the high-rises in NO are a bit bland the power of them is greater than the sum of their parts. They make a big, thick and far reaching skyline that to me suggests that the urban area is big and full of human scale spaces. It all comes down to taste. I prefer Northeast and Midwest cities. New Orleans looks and feels more like Cincinnati and Milwaukee to me. I was amazed by how NE the city felt when I visited. The skyline filled me with excitement. I can’t say the same about Atlanta (cheap and plastic, to me) or Dallas (tacky and ugly, again.. to me). Miami was OK, looked shinny and bigger than I was expecting. I was drawn into Charlotte the first time that I visited but that was because I had never even heard of the city before I visited there in the early 90’s. Never been to Houston.
So in other words, it's the older midrises, which add to a skyline's density, which draw you in. I can get with that. Personally, I love those as well, but I also dig post-modern highrises too. I like it when a skyline reflects different periods of growth, as I like architecture from all periods (yep, even some '60's to 70's stuff, international style, modern style, etc.). It shows that it's a city that isn't just satisfied with its past status, but it also adapting for the future as well. And you might have been exaggerating a little, but I don't know of any post-modern highrises with an Applebees (yuck) in the lobby. An overpriced steakhouse maybe, but not an Applebees.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM   #110
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Love these two pics. New Orleans has the best skyline of the non-major metropolis'. Charlotte who? Austin who? Tulsa who? Nashville who?

Last edited by SRG; August 31st, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
SRG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #111
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post

Love this pic. Charlotte who?
Charlotte, North Carolina:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/...7c7e15.jpg?v=0

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM   #112
NorthDallas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
It still makes them both Tier 2 cities no matter how much you hate OKC or not matter how much I dislike Charlotte, which are cities that don't deserve to even be mentioned next to Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami. Why don't we just throw Asheville, NC into the mix and I'll vote for it because I love that little town. Sure it's not a "great" or even comparable skyline but I think it's just the right mix that perfectly suits Asheville. Way to turn a topic into a competition of lameness.

Uh.. Atlanta's airport is the world's busiest airport. Houston is the medical capital of the world, and the Houston Museum District is better than anything in DFW. Also Rice is a Top 20 school, SMU and UT-Dallas are not. Emory is also Top 20. Just saying. I think the reasonable thing is to say "Dallas is among cities like Houston and Atlanta" and not that "Dallas blows away cities like Houston and Atlanta." The only clear advantage Dallas probably has over Houston/Atlanta would likely be shopping, for some weird reason.
OK....first off, i would like for you to tell me when i said that dallas blows all of those cities away!! what i said was said in reference towards charlotte. seriously bring down the defensiveness a notch! i was replying to someone that said dallas was not a world class city and then i said that it was, then gave my reasons(once again comparing CHARLOTTE to DALLAS) for believing so and then also mentioned that CHARLOTTE does not even rank up there any of the mentioned cities. that post really shows who is on here to bash and who is on here to truly discuss differences in our urban landscapes!!

AND FURTHERMORE......this topic was meant to be a discussion about skylines(i believed the skyline with-in the city proper to be all -inclusive), nothing more i thought. my only first reason for replying was to comment on the inaccuracies mentioned by several people. so with that being said my favorite skyline list goes as:

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. Atlanta
4. Miami
5. Nashville

Last edited by NorthDallas; August 31st, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
NorthDallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM   #113
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Just a refresher, only skylines in City limits of candidates, are to be discussed.
I doubt anyone forgot, so I'm just saying.

So this can include multiple skylines, as long as their IN the city.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM   #114
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
I love how you guys are looking at what is SUPPOSED to be looked at in Downtowns. You both are on target, IMO. Density matters. Old matters. Mirrors suck...they will be old in 20 years and ugly. Prominent buildings DO MATTER!! The tallest buildings in New Orleans are the newest, but, the prominent buildings ARE the oldest....that's why I'm proud of my city and that's what so many come to see!! For those that want to see the Southern density in New Orleans--it is worth seeing. And it is urban. It really is the most urban area in the entire South. You can feel it when you are there. There is energy in the people. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, & Charlotte do have a newer, taller skyline, but, there is one thing that I can completely assure you....not even one of them is remotely close to the density of New Orleans if that is what you like. There are many areas in the density of Downtown New Orleans where you will not get direct sun. The only two Downtowns that I have been to that remind me of the density you see in New Orleans is New York and Chicago. They're bigger, for sure, but, although smaller in area, you will find the density in New Orleans. And you will feel that urban energy. It's there. You know what I'm talking about.....

100% agreement. That is why New Orleans is my favourite city in the USA Americans and Asians generally think Cities = 50 story Bank of America office towers. New Orleans and San Antonio. The 2 best American cities ever by far!

But this thread is about skyline which I assume means buildings over 25 Stories or so, and well. In that arena, Charlotte takes it for me - in the Southeast. Then Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Houston. But if we're talking about which city feels more urban, I would 10000% pick New Orleans without a doubt.

Last edited by IberiaCLT; September 1st, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM   #115
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6443

New Orleans, in my opinion, has one of the uglieset American skylines. It's full of monolithic, brutalist modernism that isn't attractive at all. Add in the fact that, along with Miami, it's in the most disaster-prone area of the US and it becomes incredibly unappealing.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:07 AM   #116
Cashville
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallas View Post
5. Nashville
Do you really like Nashville more than Charlotte and New Orleans?

I always find our skyline so bland, unexciting, and short (no roof over 500 feet). Maybe its my hate for the 'Batman Building', but I really dont think the skyline reflects the growth the city has seen over the last 20-30 years.

image hosted on flickr
Cashville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM   #117
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:

I always find our skyline so bland, unexciting, and short (no roof over 500 feet). Maybe its my hate for the 'Batman Building', but I really dont think the skyline reflects the growth the city has seen over the last 20-30 years.

image hosted on flickr
I'd give Nashville an Honorable Mention, but NorthDallas probably prefers ARLINGTON over CHARLOTTE....

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM   #118
Rufus

Likes (Received): 15

Aesthetically speaking, Charlotte does it for me. I just think the buildings work well together.

Atlanta I love for its length, especially viewing it from Stone Mountain State Park. It is pretty striking and intense.

Miami is awesome from I-95, and I love how it almost stands right at the water.

Houston is just big...like they say about Texas....everything's bigger. There are some really interesting buildings downtown.

Dallas, is in someways an anomaly. It just explodes along the plains, so it is really striking when approaching the city.

**but, in truth, my favorite skyline in the Southeast is Asheville. The surrounding nature, the history of the Gilded Age, and the deco buildings just bring together something special. It's street life is pretty awesome too...which is always a good sign about a skyline and the city.
Rufus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM   #119
Hia-leah JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
At least New Orleans is occupied--when you look at that skyline, know that it is 93% occupied---better than a Downtown full of nothing but a bunch of empty foreclosed condo towers.
That would make you feel nice in the inside, wouldn't it?

Fact is Downtown's population has tripled in less than 10 years when it was only projectd to double this decade. Occupancy rates are nearing 70% in the infamous condos completed since 2006 alone and the overall ocupancy rates downtown are over 80% and over 30 new businesses have succesfully opened shop Downtown in the middle of this recession the last year. Downtown Miami will easily reach 100K residents the next decade.

New Orleans still has that ugly skyline though.

Last edited by Hia-leah JDM; September 1st, 2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM   #120
krazeeboi

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
The Bass, Berry, and Sims tower should have been at least 10 stories higher. I like the design, but it seems more fitting as a new tallest. Nevertheless, it brings something new to the Nashville skyline.