search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Oceania

Oceania Everything Pacific!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #21
BNE QLD

Likes (Received): 2

Wow a lot is happening in Port Morseby...

Thank you Tbite for starting this thread. It shows you've covered a great deal of recent developments. While the development is good for your country and the economy, I just hope the common people can benefit from it.

I went to PNG about 10 years ago now and I can say so much has changed since. At least the kind of development which is going on looks sustainable and appropriate for the type & current population. i.e. the buildings are not hugely tall.

I think PNG is a wonderful place, it still has crystal clear water up in the hills away from the big centres. The rivers are wild and the mountain villages are like a totally different world to the rest. A real nice place to be. I hope to return to visit PNG one day in the near future.

I like the Ela Vista a development the renders for day and night, the size and design looks appropriate for the hillside area.

Quote:
Ela Vista a development to watch out for in 2010

Again thumbs up to a good thread...

Danubis liked this post
BNE QLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Tbite
Expert

Some other pictures of the Steamships Property development in downtown from Late 2009

More Recent Photo Early 2010

Old April 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #23
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I never thought there'd be so much happening in Papua New Guinea!

Keep posting, this is really interesting.
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #24
nOchAos
Happy now...

Likes (Received): 8

Thanks Tbite so much more happening up there than I thought.

Are lots of aussies moving up there and driving the property investments or is it coming from somewhere else?

Go PNG!
nOchAos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Tbite
Expert

When I lived there just 4 years ago there was nothing going on.

So I have no clue really.

I'm kinda a bit angry.

The mall being built there is a stones throw from where I used to live, 5 minute drive. I wish they had built it when I was there, the largest retail in the city was a hypermarket, built by the same company actually.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #26
Tbite
Expert

I think this explains it

PNG to post 'China-type' growth: Fraser
March 18, 2010

AAP

Quote:
Papua New Guinea is set to record "China-type" growth of eight per cent this year, Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser says.

Mr Fraser, who returned from a trade mission to PNG on Wednesday night, told an infrastructure summit in Brisbane the neighbouring nation was on the cusp of "game-changing, nation-changing, development".

"The PNG economy is poised to take off," Mr Fraser said.

"The frontier of development there is in many ways a similar dynamic to the fundamental optimism and practicality that lies at the core of the Queensland economy's recent development.

"Resources growth is crucial to the future of PNG and its people."

He said he had been advised PNG's economic growth was expected to hit eight per cent, following growth of around five per cent last year.

While the massive Ok Tedi mine contributed about 17 per cent of PNG's GDP, the "dimensions" were about to change with the financial close on a $14 billion LNG project that is set to deliver $30 billion to the PNG government over the next 30 years, Mr Fraser said.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0318-qh7u.html
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #27
Tbite
Expert

The Papuan Hotel, Port Moresby (Steamships Property)

Quote:
This is a 20F Development

Construction Started in 2008

Quote:
Natural resources in Port Moresby continues to attract international companies (and their staff), driving demand for apartment blocks.

The Mary Street Serviced Apartments project involves construction of a 15-level (plus four-level basement) apartment block. It will house 52 three bedroom apartments over 13 levels, with office space taking the remaining two levels as well as three of the four basement levels. The building will also house a swimming pool, spa, gymnasium and BBQ area on the ground floor level.
Here is the render

Old April 11th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #28
Tbite
Expert

Era Dorina Apartments (Completed 2009)

Quote:
Situated beside the three blocks of two-levelled apartments already completed, this project involves construction of an eight-level apartment building.

Once complete the apartment building will offer a range of facilities including a fitness club featuring a 12m x 3m lap pool and state-of-the-art gymnasium.
http://www.fletcherconstruction.co.n...project_id=325
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #29
Tbite
Expert

The Papuan Hotel, Mary Street (Larger Render)

Old April 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #30
MyFavco
Regular User

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, great thread.

I noticed quite a few Brisbane & Sydney firms are involved in those projects. I think we will all be keenly watching PNG mature nicely over the next few years.
Nimby's start all innocent. But then they turn into NOTE's (Not Over There Either) and before long they turn into BANANA's (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything). You can't trust em, so stamp em out early I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
AtD is so hawt with his statistics and blunt wit.
MyFavco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #31
south
always lost

Excellent thread about a country we don't hear enough about. Thanks for all the pics
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM   #32
BNE01

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite View Post
HOTEL COMPLEX & CONFERENCE CENTRE

EXECUTIVE APARTMENTS (future development)

OFFICE TOWER

I think this is an amazing thread and there looks like there are great things happening in PNG.

Although, I don't think a building that looks like the Taj Mahal or the Theiss Building from Brisbane are going to be built.....
BNE01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #33
south
always lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNE01 View Post
Although, I don't think a building that looks like the Taj Mahal or the Theiss Building from Brisbane are going to be built.....
yeah, that arch looks very much like Putrajaya's to me...
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #34
Tbite
Expert

Those are obviously not the towers to be built, they are are just part of the proposal impression
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #35
Tbite
Expert

May 2010 Update of the 20F Steamships Papaun Hotel

Danubis liked this post
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #36
Tbite
Expert

Vision city (Mall) June 2010 Update

Danubis liked this post
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #37
ChackM
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Very nice buildings !!! I.' impressed !

ChackM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #38
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2440

anyone got some updates... there was a lot going on 2 years ago
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #39
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Anyone got some updates... There was a lot going on 3 years ago
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #40
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Old, but interesting

Port Moresby urbanisation project gets go ahead

http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=7052

June 2011

Dr Paul Jones, Senior Lecturer in the Urban and Regional Planning Program of the Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning had his proposal for a Port Moresby urbanisation project ratified this week when Mr Max Kep, Director of the Government of Papua New Guinea's Office of Urbanisation visited Sydney to sign the agreement.

The project was brought to fruition by Sydnovate, and Director Dr Anders Hallgren was present to congratulate the participants and sign the agreement on behalf of the University.

Sydnovate is the commercial arm of the University of Sydney - its mission is to ensure that expertise, technology and innovation from the University are used to develop new industry, and for the public good.

Paul Jones had previously worked as an adviser in the Government of Papua New Guinea's Office of Urbanisation before joining the University this year.

The PNG National Urbanisation Policy is intended to guide the urbanisation process in Port Moresby, as a model for the management of urban development in PNG over the next 20 years.

PNG has 15 percent of its population in urban centres - that is, approximately one million people out of a total about 6.8 million. By 2030, PNG is expected to have around 3.5 million people living in towns and cities.

The National Urbanisation Policy as adopted has a number of main components of Dr Jones's proposal, which will form the basis of projects and programs to be undertaken in selected PNG towns and cities. These components are:

the provision of primary and trunk infrastructure and services, such as water supply, power, roads, and sanitation.
the development of sites and services on customary and freehold land, including upgrading of unplanned settlements, and
the development, rejuvenation and strengthening of provincial and district rural service centers, especially investments enhancing the economic base of the towns.