SkyscraperCity Forum banner

One Millenium Quay / Jury's Inn Hotel | Gateshead | 18m | 4/5 Fl | Completed

29K views 154 replies 29 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited)
This was originally the site of Yuill's rejected South Shore One scheme, and then slated for Opus Land's Days Inn, before McAleer and Rushe bought the land and proposed their office and hotel scheme. Property Week says they will begin construction in 2010.

McAleer & Rushe Statement:

# Planning Permission Obtained For 57,000Sq Ft Offices, 205 Bedroom Hotel And 88 Car Park Spaces
# Hotel Pre-Let To Jurys Inns Group
# High Profile Location Overlooking River Tyne And Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Whilst Being Adjacent To Baltic Centre For Contemporary Art And The Sage Gateshead

See less See more
#3 ·
I have found that I can change the title (on a newly set up thread) by using 'Edit' then 'Go Advanced' and then simply amending the title (putting your 'n' in, in this case).

However, I have only done this (successfully) very shortly after the original first posting.

I think I tried it once after I had left it a period of time, and while it amended the title at the top of the first post of the thread (in the post) it did NOT amend it in the 'list of threads'.

You could try that first though.

If it doesn't work you need to put a message on the "naming & moving threads and posts" thread, asking the mods to change it, and they will do it for you.

#16 ·
Didn't johhnypd say it is a competing design and not a replacement design?

I agree that the first one is better.
i meant 'competing' in the sense that there's an alternative out there. i don't know which one is going to be built. McAleer & Rushe still use the original glassy design on their website, though usually designs get dumbed down, rather than made nicer, once people start assessing construction costs.
I told you, read between the lines, pfft.:lol:

#15 ·
i meant 'competing' in the sense that there's an alternative out there. i don't know which one is going to be built. McAleer & Rushe still use the original glassy design on their website, though usually designs get dumbed down, rather than made nicer, once people start assessing construction costs.

#22 ·
but you can't just block development on the river site. i think these buildings work well alongside the two Baltic Quay towers, as it is split into two blocks mirroring what is currently there, and the buildings are low enough so you can see what lies behind them.

still has a degree of symmetry and matches up with what is behind it-

#27 ·
I think thats something to do with Northuimbrian Water, I drive past there every morning trying to avoid traffic on Tyne Bridge. They seem to be taking ages doing whatever they are doing, they remind me of the doozers off fraggle rock, comnstantky moving stuff about but not actually doing much :)

#34 ·
scheduled for october 2010 opening, might be a bit optimistic to have it fully built and internally complete in only 7 months!.

October 2010 – 200 bedrooms
JURYS INN QUAYSIDE
NewcastleGateshead

The new hotel will be located on the Baltic Riverside, South Shore Road in Gateshead – a ten minute walk from Newcastle city centre and the Quayside entertainment district. It represents part of a £90m, four hotel investment by Jurys’ strategic development partner McAleer and Rushe. The new hotel will be Jurys Inns’ second hotel in Newcastle.

Acting Jurys Inn CEO John Brennan commented:

“It is a significant vote of confidence in Newcastle that we can announce plans for a new hotel in the area in today’s challenging economic climate.

“Our positioning at the premium end of the budget market means we can be competitive with business users switching from four star hotels and leisure customers that still want hotel pedigree and hospitality from their weekend breaks – something missing from no frills budget operators.”

#35 ·
Seven months is a reasonable short amount of time, but with it being a hotel they might be using a modular system, which are pretty quick.

Either way, another hotel isn't a bad thing. I do wonder though, how close are we to having an over supply? Could we be leaving ourselves open to having too many in the future if tourism has a downturn?

#42 ·
Taken today. 1st sign of breaking ground with 4 vertical forms (bottom right) presumably awaiting concrete and plenty of rebar on site.

5th August 2010 (taken from the end of Tyne Street, Off City Road)