daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Old July 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 16

BBC East Midlands: The Cinderella Region

Doesn't it feel like that sometimes? I mean. We have no substantial production facilities (and, no a handful of news studios in Nottingham does not count), and I can't name a single programme produced by BBC:EM that's been broadcast nationally in the past five years. All despite having a collective population larger than Wales (home of Doctor Who and Torchwood amongst others).

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #2
thompski
Wilderslowe Tower

Likes (Received): 0

I am inclined to agree Mark76, though it goes beyond television in my opinion - our railways are crap, our cities are boring and I think we can do alot better generally.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3
majabl
The Northamptonian

... and then Northampton, despite sitting in the East Midlands, gets lumped in with an entirely separate television region! BBC East basically seems to be everything that's left over once the rest of the country has been chopped up into bits - not sure what the link between me in Northampton and someone over in Suffolk is, but hey.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Ranwolf

Likes (Received): 1

Just be glad you dont live in Lincolnshire. Where my dad lived was traditionaly Anglia with Central as the ITV station i parts to the west. Then when the TV mast near him was sold to Yorkshire TV they covered the region, I can tell you no-one I know felt hearing almost blacket coverage of news about Leeds and sometimes York was of any interest to them. We even had to put up with lots of crap Yorkshire based regional variation TV. I remember one time where it was European Cup on 3 i most of the country but an interview with Richard Whitely on Yorks! Not sure if BBC has followed the same regional changes but i would think so.
Ranwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Patrick G

The East Midlands has always been an unfashionable region, but maybe thats why I like it.

People get all teary eyed and nostalgic over places like Liverpool and Newcastle, etc. To me they are just towns that are inhabited with people that are obsessed with their identities and making sure everyone knows where they are from.

We are different in that respect. More unassuming, less obvious.

However, we could show a little more solidarity sometimes.
Patrick G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #6
kk_94093

well said Patrick_G ... !!! totally agree with you there
kk_94093 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM   #7
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 55

I like Nottingham and Leicester. Both good sizes, not too big, not too small.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

I guess you guys have seen the Birmingham thread, if you feel the same way that the BBC now seem to ignore other areas do you think a petition to Government would make any difference, after all we pay for the company by licence and taxes through Gov.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Maybe we could petition our MPs. If we can get enough of them to raise the issue someone at the beeb would have to take notice.

I haven't actually looked at the Birmingham thread, but I'm guessing some people are expressing the same sentiments (though, isn't Doctors made by BBC Birmingham? That's one more than we have ).

Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #10
majabl
The Northamptonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark76 View Post
Maybe we could petition our MPs. If we can get enough of them to raise the issue someone at the beeb would have to take notice.

I haven't actually looked at the Birmingham thread, but I'm guessing some people are expressing the same sentiments (though, isn't Doctors made by BBC Birmingham? That's one more than we have ).
Doctors is on in the middle of the day so hardly anybody will watch it, compared with prime time! I also expect that, while it may be made in Birmingham, it could as easily be anywhere in the UK for all of the 'local feature' that there is in the programme.

I think that petitioning our MPs to raise the issue on our behalf would probably be more effective than a Government petition.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Mark76
Penguin fancier

I suppose we could say Robin Hood; as it's set in Nottingham. But it's a fake Nottingham filmed in Hungary (although it is incredibly lifelike ).

But contemporary dramas and comedies set in our region? Not so much.

Old November 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #12
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by majabl View Post
I think that petitioning our MPs to raise the issue on our behalf would probably be more effective than a Government petition.
maybe a standard letter of complaint that we could all work on and copy and paste, then print off and sign then send to local MP could be worth a squirt. ?
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #13
moseeds

Likes (Received): 3

Where's Keith Vaz when you need him??
moseeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #14
leicslad3
LCC what is it good for?

Could you imagine an East Midlands soap?

Strange Thoughts...
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #15
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:
ust be glad you dont live in Lincolnshire. Where my dad lived was traditionaly Anglia with Central as the ITV station i parts to the west. Then when the TV mast near him was sold to Yorkshire TV they covered the region, I can tell you no-one I know felt hearing almost blacket coverage of news about Leeds and sometimes York was of any interest to them. We even had to put up with lots of crap Yorkshire based regional variation TV. I remember one time where it was European Cup on 3 i most of the country but an interview with Richard Whitely on Yorks! Not sure if BBC has followed the same regional changes but i would think so.
yes, its just absurd really. its the same for everything really, and the worse thing is this region is a net contributor in terms of revenue for the government. lincolnshire actually has the worst taxation to spending ratio in the entire country, some 50% less than scotland in terms of govt spending per person.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #16
thompski
Wilderslowe Tower

Strange Thoughts would be a good name for a East Midlands Soap.

I was thinking how great it'd be if the next Grand Theft Auto game was set in the East Midlands? Start on Durbey Island, go to Laysesta and finish in Knottingum?

To be honest i'm not too fussed about a lack of East Midlands programming, but I wouldn't mind some decent programming to make me desire a television in the first place.

I'd rather pay £140 a year for high speed railway through Derby, a shopping centre not called Westfield, a Derby tram system and tall buildings
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #17
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 1812

well rockstar have a studio in lincoln
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #18
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 40

Didn't everything turn out good for Cinderella in the end?
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #19
The_Curves_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicslad3 View Post
Could you imagine an East Midlands soap?

Strange Thoughts...
As a 'soapy drama' does Stephanie Beacham's appearance in the starring role of the 1985, Nottingham-set (I don't know if was actually SHOT in the city, though) series, 'Connie' count? I seem to recall that there were vague 'threats' to turn it into a fully-blown, regular soap, but it somehow never quite came to fruition. I never actually WATCHED it but I did think it was kind of neat (sorry for sounding terribly 'Mid-Atlantic' there!) to have a prime-time drama series set in the East Midlands - even if it was Nottingham!

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/lo...e-beacham.html
The_Curves_Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #20
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G View Post
People get all teary eyed and nostalgic over places like Liverpool and Newcastle, etc. To me they are just towns that are inhabited with people that are obsessed with their identities and making sure everyone knows where they are from.
Yet it doesn't stop us being lumped into a Greater Greater Manchester region, for more things than just television.

Most of the BBC's 'regions' are merely regional news outposts. Only Manchester, Birmingham & Bristol were ever really charged with making anything important outside of London. When was the last time you heard of anything significant coming out of Plymouth-based BBC South West, for example?

Last edited by Gareth; November 28th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: