daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1281
citybooster

Likes (Received): 217

I've been reading on how the use of extensive glass especially in residences(floor to ceiling) has a lot of potential practical/environmental/aesthetic problems.... great views but extensive glare, difficulty to regulate heat and cold forcing central air and heating system to work really hard and waste energy, windows potentially being dangerously unstable and in need of repair. It's chic but don't think t's all that practical other than the amazing views. The quality of glass used is more amenable to office towers, residendes have developers who want to squeeze all the profit they can so even in ritzier places the temptation and practice is to use much cheaper , thinner glass. There are instances of great glass buildings using the best materials including thicker, more insulant glass but it is more the exception than the rule. Maybe it's me but just prefer buildings made of stone, earth and show real craftsmanship. In Toronto particularly there's been a lot of complaint about the down side to all glass buildings...some other site basically had something to the effect that residential towers in particular shouldn't be over 30-40% glass and is critical of the tendency towards promoting condos dominated by glass. Not being a NIMBY by any means, but I wonder that unless really strong, durable and insular glass is used for the most part are developers really going in the right direction with these kinds of towers?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 18th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #1282
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 7834

Aren't there building codes describing heat flux and glass thickness for glass fašades in NY (or the US in general)?
If these are being met, I see little problems in using glass.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1283
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 20620

Progress by jonathanpercy, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 06:16 AM   #1284
towerpower123

Likes (Received): 850

If I don't say otherwise, all of my images are on my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/?view=sidebar