daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Buffalo / Niagara Falls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2018, 03:59 AM   #16661
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 638

Doesn't sound like we'll be seeing progress at Campus Square any time soon...

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/08/20...t-in-jeopardy/
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #16662
fubo

Likes (Received): 720

College-educated young adults are moving to Buffalo in impressive numbers
By G. Scott Thomas
Projects Editor, Buffalo Business First

Jan 9, 2018, 9:32am EST
Updated 4 hours ago

Newly released statistics offer cause for hope. The City of Buffalo's population of 25- to 34-year-olds grew by 13.4 percent during the past half-decade, outpacing the national growth rate.

sabre11, mikmo323, homestar, Guac liked this post
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:46 AM   #16663
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 638

I'm curious if it's from more people moving here (as the title implies) or less locals leaving (as the first paragraph implies). Either way it's good, but people moving here from elsewhere would be more surprising and impressive.

After the last recession they had talked about more young adults staying in WNY, but a rebuttal to that was that they didn't have jobs opportunities anywhere and had no choice but to stay put. But now the unemployment rate is very low and the economy is doing well, so this is a very good sign.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 04:49 AM   #16664
fubo

Well if there are more 25-34 year olds here now than there were 20-29 year olds here 5 years ago then I guess it would have to be in migration. The good part is that they are college educated
Old January 10th, 2018, 05:45 AM   #16665
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 739

Ciminelli's revised plans for Waterfront Village include seven townhomes and 24 condos. Ellicott has also started the process to get approvals for renovating the Cooperage on Chicago Street. No plans online yet.

Old January 10th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #16666
Guac

Likes (Received): 58

For Waterfront Village, did urban planners just kind of throw up their hands and shrug? Such a weird slice of the city that has never made sense to me.

Buffaboy liked this post
Guac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #16667
fubo

It was the 1970's . They went with a suburban model thinking that if they could duplicate Amherst they could keep a few people from joining the mass Exodus.After all Amherst gained 18.000 people in the 1970's after having gained 33,000 in the 1960's so the City was trying to compete with what they thought the public wanted.

Guac liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 06:01 PM   #16668
ECoastTransplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guac View Post
For Waterfront Village, did urban planners just kind of throw up their hands and shrug? Such a weird slice of the city that has never made sense to me.
They took what came along. There was a plan that called for higher density but remember, this area started development in the early 1980s when there wasn't much happening at all in the city (some larger projects like Goldome and Hyatt were underway but subsidized with UDAG money). Rivermist took years to build-out because of the limited high-end market at the time. This area was always going to be residential but it isn't tied together well. It's what you get when you have multiple developers taking on chunks- they all have their own product and idea of what will sell. So you have these individual developments that don't really match. Maybe everything should have been all-brick? Originally there were going to be three Admiral Walk "towers" but the developer went bankrupt (Balling?) building the first one even though sales were strong.

The office buildings were what companies wanted at the time: big floors and free parking.

Buffaboy, Guac liked this post
ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #16669
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

It also cuts off Lasalle Park from the burgeoning Canalside area.

As ECT said, no urban planning went into this. It has no qualities of a city. Why isn't there an arterial road/city street that directly fronts the waterfront similar to Niagara St. or something? Why did they decide the residents must own their slice of the waterfront in that nature, instead of walk 200 feet to a common, public area?

It will be like this for centuries now.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #16670
fubo

Yes it was Balling Brothers, they were a client of mine at the time. They lost their shirt on an out of town project they they couldn't overcome.

Guac liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:27 PM   #16671
guydudebro

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
I'm curious if it's from more people moving here (as the title implies) or less locals leaving (as the first paragraph implies). Either way it's good, but people moving here from elsewhere would be more surprising and impressive.

After the last recession they had talked about more young adults staying in WNY, but a rebuttal to that was that they didn't have jobs opportunities anywhere and had no choice but to stay put. But now the unemployment rate is very low and the economy is doing well, so this is a very good sign.

I'm late 20s and in the circles I run in there are many people from out of town and most of my high school and college friends live in town or have moved / are considering moving back.

I managed to snag a girl with a graduate degree from the east coast and she's very happy here compared to spending 300k+ to live an hour outside the action which is commonplace where she's from.

Also trying to rope her family into selling and moving out here but jury is out on that one.

There are many young out of towners here at the hospitals etc. on residency that stay at least 5-10 years after their programs are over. Some become lifers.
guydudebro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:47 PM   #16672
fubo

My wife moved here from VA and once we had kids her folks sold there house there and moved here. They love it, but they are closer to being centenarians than millennials.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #16673
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Buffalo made The NY Times' prestigious list of places to visit in 2018. I read through all of the destinations until i got to us at 37. I stopped reading when they mentioned "repurposed grain elevators," because a though just hit me: they aren't as repurposed as they could be.

People around here love to talk about saving these things, but yet when an idea comes up like turning then into hotels or apartments, it's brushed off as too complex. Well I have a response. Other cities and places, such as the ones on that list, do groundbreaking and unprecedented things all the time. Chattanooga did public broadband for instance.

So why don't developers try something different, even given how complex it is upfront? That will really give people a reason to come, if done correctly.
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #16674
fubo

What makes you think the list is prestigious? It's just another click bait list to sell ads.

u_u liked this post
Old January 11th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #16675
guydudebro

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
What makes you think the list is prestigious? It's just another click bait list to sell ads.
Agreed. The NY times is a shell of it's formal self.
guydudebro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM   #16676
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Buffalo made The NY Times' prestigious list of places to visit in 2018. I read through all of the destinations until i got to us at 37. I stopped reading when they mentioned "repurposed grain elevators," because a though just hit me: they aren't as repurposed as they could be.

People around here love to talk about saving these things, but yet when an idea comes up like turning then into hotels or apartments, it's brushed off as too complex. Well I have a response. Other cities and places, such as the ones on that list, do groundbreaking and unprecedented things all the time. Chattanooga did public broadband for instance.

So why don't developers try something different, even given how complex it is upfront? That will really give people a reason to come, if done correctly.
Because I am sure its all about $$ and how much it would cost to renovate them.

fubo liked this post

Last edited by Buffalomatt1027; January 11th, 2018 at 07:16 PM.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:59 AM   #16677
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

What do you think?

Potential changes to marina across from Canalside explored

Quote:
An Outer Harbor marina on Fuhrmann Boulevard, across from Canalside, looks cluttered and unappealing, but a state agency wants to change that, making it more accessible and public-friendly, while also retaining marina services.

A boat marina, launch locations and outdoor storage will remain, officials of Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. said. But the layout of the site is expected to be redesigned with broader interests of the public also in mind.
http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/11/po...side-explored/
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #16678
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Developers prepare to unveil Children's Hospital reuse plans

Quote:
The development team behind the planned reuse of the former Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo site in the Elmwood Village has fine-tuned their proposal for a mix of condos, townhomes, apartments and retail space, and wants to unveil it to the public at the end of this month.

Sinatra & Co. Real Estate and Ellicott Development Co. said Thursday that Kaleida Health will finish vacating the hospital property at 219 Bryant St. on Friday, after removing the last of its personnel, equipment and other items during the past two months.

That's enabled the developers to finally move forward with more serious and detailed planning, now that they can get access to all parts of the hospital without interfering with staff, patients or other operations.
http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/11/si...l-reuse-plans/
Old January 12th, 2018, 06:24 PM   #16679
ECoastTransplant

Ellicott's reuse plan for Cooperage site (from Buffalo News):

fubo, mikmo323 liked this post
ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:18 PM   #16680
ExWNY'er

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
They took what came along. There was a plan that called for higher density but remember, this area started development in the early 1980s when there wasn't much happening at all in the city (some larger projects like Goldome and Hyatt were underway but subsidized with UDAG money). Rivermist took years to build-out because of the limited high-end market at the time. This area was always going to be residential but it isn't tied together well. It's what you get when you have multiple developers taking on chunks- they all have their own product and idea of what will sell. So you have these individual developments that don't really match. Maybe everything should have been all-brick? Originally there were going to be three Admiral Walk "towers" but the developer went bankrupt (Balling?) building the first one even though sales were strong.

The office buildings were what companies wanted at the time: big floors and free parking.
It really is a mishmash with no common style or architectural continuity. Village isn't the right word to use for it. the townhouses themselves are upscale and I am sure they are great to live in. San Francisco did some similar things too, it wasn't just Buffalo in the 70's and 80's making mistakes. I would almost have preferred more high rises, but that might have walled off the waterfront. Some cities can and have done waterfront high rises correctly (Vancouver) where they blend well with green spaces and parks and don't overwhelm. At this point, just build out the rest of the area and make sure other waterfront development is done right.

fubo, ECoastTransplant, Guac liked this post
ExWNY'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amherst, black rock, buffalo, cheektowaga, cobblestone, delaware ave., delaware park, depew, east aurora, east side, elmwood, inner harbor, kensington, lackawanna, lancaster, main st., niagara square, outer harbor, polonia, south side, south towns, the tonawandas, west side, williamsville