daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Today, 01:07 AM   #36861
brewcitymilwaukee

Likes (Received): 320

http://fox6now.com/2018/01/15/crane-...-to-milwaukee/

This is a pretty big deal for Milwaukee getting a major company to move here. On the other hand. I do not like it when places take headquarters from other cities. Especially from other cities in Wisconsin.
brewcitymilwaukee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #36862
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuty View Post
Bay View is just about completely built up. There are some spots left for development but they are not many. Plus, that neighborhood/community is about to go full NIMBY. Especially east of kk, those homeowners wonít let squat be built if is anywhere near their homes. As for the next neighborhood that will get gentrified I mean excuse me developed, well thatís really easy to see. As others have said, Lincoln village and Mitchell street are primed for development. It makes to much sense too. Relatively low crime, good old buildings, access to transit, not to far from the lake, next to both downtown and bay View, Latinos not seen as scary. Basically what is happening to Pilsen in Chicago is what will happen to Lincoln Village and Mitchell Street here in Milwaukee. Canít forget with the whole inner harbour project coming up, it just makes too much sense to tie it all together (walkers point in currently gentrifying). I donít really get those who say Cudahy or West Allis are up and coming neighborhoods. No way, millenials want nothing to do with those places. Itís too far from the city and those places are just not cool. West Allis is literally the butt of most jokes. Cudahy, most people donít event know the difference between it, st.francis, or south milwaukee. They all kinda merge into one big goop we call ďby the airportĒ. But yeah, never West Allis, and Iím not even saying that to be mean. The perception of the place will not be changed anytime soon. They can try as much as they want, it ainít happening. I know itís a safe place with nice houses and plenty of good commercial corridors, but dirty stallis and itís stallicats is something thatís ingrained into the local mythos. Itís just like parts of the north side of Milwaukee. No matter how safe it is, just being part of the north side elicits an immediate no from almost everyone in the metro area. Sucks, but what can you do? Oh and jsonline article has me more worried about the couture. Please, Mke needs the couture built.
Please explain to me how West Allis is too far from the city. When I moved back to the area, I lived on 79th near Greenfield Ave, and my commute to work north of downtown was half what it is now. And Iím in the city limits. The people I always hear refer to it as dirty stallis always seem to be younger south suburban natives who havenít been out of the area in their lifetimes. Downtown West Allis has a lot going for it, and location is one of its positives.

Mesheke, AGundy, Jesse276, Kramerica liked this post
Milwaukee, WY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #36863
MKE-bound

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
Please explain to me how West Allis is too far from the city. When I moved back to the area, I lived on 79th near Greenfield Ave, and my commute to work north of downtown was half what it is now. And Iím in the city limits. The people I always hear refer to it as dirty stallis always seem to be younger south suburban natives who havenít been out of the area in their lifetimes. Downtown West Allis has a lot going for it, and location is one of its positives.
I have to say, I like West Allis. It's got its own feel and flavor (Kegel's Inn anyone?).
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #36864
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee, WY View Post
For what it's worth (I ultimately feel this whole section of comments will be moved to the 'Suburban' thread) if Mandel and the Six Points area of West Allis can really get off the ground, along with the transformation of the Farmers Market, that whole area from 62nd - 70th Streets along Greenfield and National Avenues could really stand out. What's lagging right now is the lack of solid tenants to drive up walking traffic.

Additionally, if West Allis can figure out how to transform the former Allis-Chalmers site into an actual town center versus the retail strip mall with several box anchors it currently has, that'll help push the actual "main street" downtown section along Greenfield Ave between 70th St thru State Fair Park into a lively corridor as well. I'd imagine bars, restaurants and entertainment options along with incorporating the midsize box retailers and small businesses on lower levels of buildings that would include more housing components or hotels.

I'm still quite surprised that the State Fair Park area has only seen a Hampton Inn & Suites open up in the immediate area. I feel West Allis isn't marketing to hotel developers correctly - the close proximity of the Greenfield Ave corridor to various sites (Tosa Village shopping/dining, Froedtert/Med College, Research Park and of course State Fair Park itself) along with transforming Greenfield Ave itself into a workable corridor should bring in concepts for new hotels in this hotel boom the metro is experiencing. Would also add more foot traffic along Greenfield too via the additional guests staying along the corridor.

MKERevival liked this post
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #36865
EasyK83

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcitymilwaukee View Post

This is a pretty big deal for Milwaukee getting a major company to move here. On the other hand. I do not like it when places take headquarters from other cities. Especially from other cities in Wisconsin.
Manitowoc is a city on hard times, this one hurts a little.

brewcitymilwaukee liked this post
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #36866
EasyK83

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron4174 View Post
This would be fantastic. The architecture on Mitchell Street is very beautiful. Personally I root for the near west side, but it'll be quite some time before that area reaches its potential.
Could be faster than you think, there are some neighborhood groups and organizations that are doing good work and there have been some nice developments like the Majestic Theater and Mitchell Street Library among others. I think you'll start to see spillover even before Walker's Point is built up, developers tend to try and get ahead of the curve like they did with Walker's Point even before Third Ward was built up.
EasyK83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:22 PM   #36867
Milwaukee Man

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyK83 View Post
Certainly is bad for Manitowoc, but is expected.

The silver lining is that it pulls more communities into greater MKE orbit.

Mr. Milwaukee liked this post
Milwaukee Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:17 PM   #36868
brewcitymilwaukee

MILWAUKEE | Development News

What Iím confused about is Manitowoc was on the verge of being a Fortune 500 company or even was at one point and in a few years, I donít even think it is in the fortune 1000. How can a company that makes cranes be doing so bad with all of the construction right now?
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #36869
mitchdd02

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
What I’m confused about is Manitowoc was on the verge of being a Fortune 500 company or even was at one point and in a few years, I don’t even think it is in the fortune 1000. How can a company that makes cranes be doing so bad with all of the construction right now?
The company spun off its food service equipment division into a new publicly traded company in 2016 so I'd assume that might have something to do with it. It's still a Fortune 1000 company though.
mitchdd02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 PM   #36870
Milwaukee Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdd02 View Post
The company spun off its food service equipment division into a new publicly traded company in 2016 so I'd assume that might have something to do with it. It's still a Fortune 1000 company though.
Also Carl Ichan messed it up
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #36871
knope2001

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyK83 View Post

The bigger blow was when they moved around 580 blue-collar jobs to Pennsylvania about a year or so ago. But I suspect a good number of the 50-ish headquarters jobs are higher paying, and having a headquarters brings travelers with hotel and restaurant business. Plus it's something of a gut punch to lose a company names for your city.
knope2001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:42 PM   #36872
brewcitymilwaukee

MILWAUKEE | Development News

Too bad they couldnít be moving their offices to 43 instead of 41. 41 is about an hour and a half away from where they are now in Manitowoc instead of a similar location on 43 which would be an hour. That isnít a great commute, but at least doable for a while for some employees who need time to figure things out.
Old Today, 06:58 PM   #36873
Milwaukee Man

Quote:
Too bad they couldnít be moving their offices to 43 instead of 41. 41 is about an hour and a half away from where they are now in Manitowoc instead of a similar location on 43 which would be an hour. That isnít a great commute, but at least doable for a while for some employees who need time to figure things out.
I would imagine many may explore moving to Sheboygan or West Bend or Cedarburg, even Brown Deer or the Falls, a few possibly even the far far northwest side of the city, where the sidewalks end and the mcmansions are huge
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #36874
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:

This is just absolutely painful to see. So many small towns in Wisconsin have seen such a drain of talent, so it's somewhat not surprising, plus I'm glad they're moving to Milwaukee if anywhere. But man... such a shame to see this happening.

SuburbanDad liked this post
Coldwake está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
milwaukee, wisconsin