SkyscraperCity Forum banner

* SHANGHAI * 上海

2M views 5K replies 539 participants last post by  little universe 
#1 ·
Shanghai Cityscape 上海 都市风景

I just put in an order for a book called "Touring Shanghai". I saw it as an advertisement for the magazine "The Hong Kong China Tourism Press". Anyways, I was wondering if any of you guys have it and could tell me if its a good book, has a lot of modern pictures of Shanghai, etc.

Thanks.

#5,035 ·
Did anyone in Shanghai realize that the covid stuff was fake? All that panic and 70 day lockdown over just a few cases, people be taken away to quarantine facilities, and Just 9 months later the Government says 80% of Chinese have had the virus. 1.1 Billion cases, and that it's all fine now? Is nobody angry about this? Has anyone thought to rise up and kill people over what happened last April and May?

#5,030 ·

Renovation of Former Henry Lester Institute of Technical Education Built in 1934 - 原上海雷士德工学院更新改造工程
Hongkou (or Hongkew), Northern Part of Former Shanghai British & American Concession (旧英美公共租界北区)

Built in 1934, It was named after Henry Lester (1840–1926), a British architect, merchant and philanthropist in Shanghai.
Buildings of the Institute were designed by then Shanghai-based British Architects Lester, Johnson & Morriss (德和洋行) in a combined English Gothic Revival (英国哥特复兴式) and Art Deco (装饰艺术派) style.

It is now the location of Design Innovation Institute Shanghai (DIIS) Phase I (上海创新创意设计研究院一期) after the renovation.
Shanghai aims at consolidating its role as China's leading industrial, architectural, fashion, multi-media and graphic design centre these days.

Old Photos of the Henry Lester Institute of Technical Education:

Design Innovation Institute Shanghai (DIIS) Proposal - 上海创新创意设计研究院
Phase I (Renovation of Former Henry Lester Institute of Technical Education) + Phase II (New Buildings behind)

Photos after the Renovation:

Design Innovation Institute Shanghai (DIIS) Phase I - 上海创新创意设计研究院一期
Hongkou District, Inner North Shanghai

#5,040 ·
#5,041 ·

Gascogne Apartments (or Huaihai Apartments) at Former French Concession Built in 1935 - 旧法租界 盖司康公寓(淮海公寓)
@ Huaihai Road (Former Avenue Joffre / 霞飞路, named after Joseph Joffre)

The complex consists of 2 apartment buildings: the shorter south block (5 storeys) & the taller north block (13 storeys).
They were designed by then Shanghai-based French Architects Leonard, Veysseyre & Kruze (赉安洋行) in Art Deco Style.
After its renovation in the early 2000s, the complex has been leased by the U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai (美国驻沪总领馆) as the apartments for U.S. diplomats, officers & their family members in Shanghai.

Then Shanghai-based French Architects Leonard, Veysseyre & Kruze (赉安洋行)

An Old Map of Gascogne Apartments (Today's Huaihai Apartments)

An Old Photo of Gascogne Apartments (Today's Huaihai Apartments)

Gascogne Apartments (Today's Huaihai Apartments) After Revamp