daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: ..
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Kiel
黄孟義

Likes (Received): 0

Negros Island

I looked around the forum to see information about this but couldn't find any... so I was wondering: Is there anyone here living in Bacolod? I was just curious about how it looked like and etc because I'm going there for a track meet somewhere in April How is it like? What are the good places to eat and go while there?

Thanks in advance ;P

Asia's World City - 香 港 Hong Kong!
Let's PUSHITFORWARD
Kiel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #2
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

A workmate just came back from a weeklong vacation in Bacolod. I haven't been there so I just dunno how the place looks like. She brought 'PIAYA' and it's taste good.
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Kiel
黄孟義

Ah... ic What's piaya? :P

Let's PUSHITFORWARD
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #4
KulasKusgan
Budotz

Likes (Received): 58

piaya is their native delicacy. parang flattened na hopia. but its caramerilzed ata kc sweeter. anyways, negros is the philippines' sugar capital.
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #5
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 261

Piaya and Pinasugbu are totally a Bacolod (or Negros for that matter) staple "pasalubong."
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #6
sugarboy
Talonggo gid ya!

Bacolod People

There's a saying about Bacolod which goes:

Apart from the place, IT'S THE PEOPLE

Hence, when in Bacolod, you should get to know real Bacolenos.

Also, allow me to say that the best food in the city is not found in a restaurant. You have to be invited to a Saturday family lunch to savor the delectable dishes prepared by the family kusinera.

try visiting... http://bacolod75.greatestcities.com
sugarboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #7
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

stranded daw un mga byahe going to Bacolod dahil dun sa Typhoon Auring?
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Kiel
黄孟義

ooh thanks for all the information

Baka nga na stranded yung mga passengers, I mean the rains have been pretty strong... even here in Manila =/

Let's PUSHITFORWARD
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #9
Kiel
黄孟義

As promised, here are some pictures of Bacolod from my recent visit ;P

First of all, I must say that Bacolod is indeed a great place to go to. It is full of vitality but very peaceful and clean too!

Panaad Stadium at Bacolod

Cityscape; downtown Bacolod

Aerial view of Bacolod

Some more pictures of the city

Leaving you again with the impressive Panaad stadium

Let's PUSHITFORWARD

Last edited by Kiel; April 18th, 2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #10
chymera00
Strangely Normal

Likes (Received): 201

What is that white road thinggy on the upper right? and those 2 big white roofed structures on the lower right???
Detourista | Explore Iloilo | Ambot-ah!
chymera00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #11
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Likes (Received): 43

Panaad Stadium looks all set for the upcoming SEA Games
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #12
Thunderflip
Selbstmordberliner

Likes (Received): 4

Wow, cool stadium! We need lots of those in the country! Does Manila have something like that too?

Bacalod has lots of place for future development!!!!
Thunderflip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #13
bustero

Likes (Received): 3

Philippine National Infrastructure and Urban Planning

BY KERLYN G. BAUTISTA, Reporter
Mindanao rail planned
Germany, Saudi Arabia to put money in Cagayan-Cotabato phase

Germany and Saudi Arabia are investing over P18.1 billion to partially finance the construction of an 82.5-kilometer mass transit system that will link the cities of Iligan, Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog, Marawi, and Cotabato in Mindanao by 2008.

This project, estimated to cost $520 million or over P28 billion, is expected to benefit 60,000 to 90,000 commuters daily in the Iligan-Cagayan de Oro "Industrial Corridor."

Transport Undersecretary Guiling A. Mamondiong told BusinessWorld yesterday that Germany would invest 220 million euros or P15.4 billion this year for the railway’s electronics and mechanicals.

Through German technology company Siemens, it will also provide 12 trains with travel speeds of 80-150 kilometers per hour. It will also put up ticketing, signaling, and communication systems.

Saudi Arabia will also lend $40 million and donate another $10 million, or a total of P2.705 billion, for the project.

The official said the government would also seek funding from Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Libya, Brunei, and Thailand, which would do the feasibility study on the railway. Civil works will start in 2006. Project completion is scheduled for 2008.

"This will be the first major railway system outside Metro Manila, something that is well in line with the decongestion of the metro. After these rail projects are finished, we think we can have 40% reduction in our oil import," he said.

The government is proposing to build the Mindanao Railway System, a six-phase, 2,000-kilometer circumferential railway system.

Its first phase will connect Iligan and Cotabato. Phase two will connect Gingoog, Butuan, and Surigao. Phase three will connect Butuan, Monkayo, and Davao. Phase four will connect Davao, General Santos and Cotabato. Phase five will connect Iligan, Aurora, Dipolog, Liloy, Ipil and Zamboanga, and phase six will connect Cagayan de Oro, Malaybalay, Damulog, and Davao.
bustero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #14
queetz@home
ASF Chief Mod (retired)

Likes (Received): 38

WTF???? Is this for real?
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #15
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 13

Siemens Trains...wow. Yeah, its for real...although that project has been delayed for decades now. Hopefully it will finally push through.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #16
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

at last this will surely bring tremendous economic and social benefits to the people of mindanao and hopefully everybody muslims and christians alike will benefit from this infrastructure and contribute to peace and prosperty in this troubled region of our country
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #17
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 686

fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !
richard fischer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #18
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard fischer
fantastic ! that would bring great prosperity to troubled mindanao ! but i cannot find any matches on the siemens homepage nor on german governments infrastructure/loans-to-the-phil. pages....hopefully this is not another illfated project like T 3 at NAIA with fraport. does anyone have some tips where i can find more about this project ?
salamat !
as much as we'd all like to find information about many projects, the digging process is pretty difficult not every project has a website, and sometimes, if they did, it would be crap. After all, unlike skyscraper projects, infra projects don't feel the need to advertise anything other than Gloria's face After continuous digging, I'm sorry to say that your best source for info is most probably here

If you're not content with the info here, you're free to dig on your own. News articles contain the most information at times, but they can be dreadfully repetitive. The NEDA site also lists infra projects and what status of red-tape they're in. Other government sites may have a tidbit or two, as well

Anyways, back on topic, this is such a cool project, but I can't help but feel that these trains are probably way better that what northrail is gonna get
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #19
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 13

Yeah, Siemens trains are definitely better than any Chinese DMU trains Northrail will get. If only Northrail also got Siemens rolling stock
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #20
KulasKusgan
Budotz

Likes (Received): 58

i hope it will push through. studies on that mindanao-wide network were conducted during ramos administration pa ata.

Tags
development, mindanao, negros island, volcanoes