daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #1
heirloom

Likes (Received): 0

CHANGI AIRPORT / Terminal 1 & 2, Aviation News

The Straits Times
Nov 10, 2004

SIA, Changi gear up for competition

By Karamjit Kaur
Transport Correspondent

AS CHANGI Airport basked in forecasts of a record 30.2 million passenger arrivals this year, two industry reports have warned that Singapore's aviation industry must overcome stiff competition to succeed.

The reports - one by Singapore Airlines and the other jointly by the Ministry of Transport (MOT) and Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) - outlined a tough future for SIA and Changi.

The MOT-CAAS report said Dubai's Emirates Airlines, for example, operates more than twice as many services to Britain as SIA and has also increased its services to Australia and New Zealand.

The construction of Dubai International Airport's Terminal 3, scheduled for completion in 2006, will increase the airport's handling capacity to 70 million passengers a year.

Changi's Terminal 3, which will raise the airport's capacity to 64 million passengers per year, will not be completed until 2008.

The report said SIA must continue to innovate and improve, while Changi needs to keep reinventing itself, and increase its efficiency and cost-competitiveness.

Maintaining Singapore's status as a business centre and tourist destination will also help persuade airlines to keep using Changi as a transit point.

Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport, which will be ready late next year, will be another serious competitor.

Its growth will be fuelled by the expansion of Thai Airways. Australia's Qantas has also boosted Bangkok's aspirations, taking a 49 per cent stake in a planned new Bangkok-based cargo airline.

During a dialogue with SIA management and unions on Monday, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew echoed the findings of the reports.

The SIA report also predicted that major United States carriers, which have been hit hard by budget airlines in the domestic market, 'are planning to shift capacity away from domestic USA to what is now for them more lucrative international business'.

Cathay Pacific can also be expected to take advantage of the recently expanded air services agreement between Hong Kong and Australia and compete more aggressively for business on the kangaroo route between Britain and Australia, the report said.

SIA said the airline must continue to expand in growing markets like China and India, where Qantas, Thai Airways and Cathay Pacific are also eyeing market share.

The company has already started on cost-reduction and wage-restructuring exercises in an effort to stay competitive.

MM Lee, who held a similar dialogue in April to sort out problems between SIA management and unions, said he was confident SIA and Changi will hold their own, provided all parties work together.

He said: 'Can SIA and Changi Airport change? I say yes. Will Singapore change? I say yes.

'If we don't make this place work, we all suffer.'
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 28th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #2
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 1

Changi Airport - Latest Expansions and Upgrades!

Singapore Changi Airport
Additions & Alterations

Terminal 01, Terminal 02 & Terminal 03
© huaiwei

© Singapore Changi Airport

Terminal 01
© babystan03

Terminal 02
© Talbot Consultants

© Ignoramus

© babystan03

© huaiwei

Terminal 03
© babystan03

© huaiwei

© RafflesCity

Budget Terminal
© babystan03

Additions & Alterations Archives

Last edited by ignoramus; November 28th, 2004 at 10:32 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #3
ignoramus

Singapore Changi Airport
Additions & Alterations

Terminal 2 Gets S$240 Million Facelift To Boost Changi's Aviation Hub Status
© Singapore Changi Airport
Changi Airport's Terminal 2 (T2) will look brand new when its upgrading is completed in 2005. T2, which is 13 years old, will see more capacity added to the departure / transit lounge, enhancing Changi's position as an aviation hub. The upgrading, which will see massive improvements made to its design, costs S$240 million.
Mr Yeo Cheow Tong, Minister for Transport visited the airport on 30 October 2003 to view the upgrading at the airport. He applauded the efforts taken by CAAS to ensure that airport operations were not affected and inconvenience to airport users kept to a minimum despite the extensive renovation work.
The upgraded T2 will have a new glass façade allowing natural light into the departure hall. A new canopy above the kerbside at the departure hall will be extended outwards to ensure that airport users are shielded from the rain when alighting from their vehicles. An extra 2,800 square metres will also be added to the transit area for shops, restaurants, seating amenities and landscaping, with improved facilities for the elderly or disabled travellers.
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #4
en

In my opinion Changi is an overrated airport, nothing really special about its layout or design.

Only good thing is the amount of services that they provide to travellers. (Last been there in 95 when they were just building the finger piers on T2)
en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #5
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by en
In my opinion Changi is an overrated airport, nothing really special about its layout or design.

Only good thing is the amount of services that they provide to travellers. (Last been there in 95 when they were just building the finger piers on T2)
Well, the clear, simple fact is that Changi has NEVER earned its reputation from layout or design. It has always excelled in what matters directly to its users: services!

Btw ignore, you go and create a new thread?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #6
drwho
slacker oui!

wuuhuuu! Do i see a SAAB 900S Cab on the pic?

JL Racing
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #7
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Well, the clear, simple fact is that Changi has NEVER earned its reputation from layout or design. It has always excelled in what matters directly to its users: services!

Btw ignore, you go and create a new thread?
Yeah. RafflesCity PMed me to bring over to a new thread whatever is relevant. The old thread as requested by Jan will either be deleted or archived.

I have 7 pages of the old thread to browse through to move over some relevant info to the new thread now. You will probably notice that the pictures below are ALL relevant. All are related to anything new at Changi.
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 58

hmm, this thread is for T1, 2 and 3?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM   #9
heirloom

i like saab too i aim to own one by the time i'm 40

does anyone notice large government projects seem to be going for the same goldenish brownish colour scheme? the t2/t1 renovation, supreme court, and the esplanade theatres.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 11:59 AM   #10
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
hmm, this thread is for T1, 2 and 3?
Its for everything that has or will be added to Changi or altered.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM   #11
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
i like saab too i aim to own one by the time i'm 40

does anyone notice large government projects seem to be going for the same goldenish brownish colour scheme? the t2/t1 renovation, supreme court, and the esplanade theatres.
Think its just a coincidence. For the supreme court i guess they were going for the gold brownish all important look, same with the esplanade.

For the airport its basically for the all natural wood look, cause you wouldn't want the interiors to be all glass and meta;, hard and cold looking.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #12
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

People mover construction (7/12/04)

T1 PMS station:

Last edited by babystan03; December 7th, 2004 at 02:01 PM.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #13
heirloom

the glass in t1 looks nice
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #14
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

New improved signage(7/12/04):

Old December 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #15
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Changi duty free are having some promotions or contest......

Old December 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #16
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I wonder if Terminal 1 changed the facade of the part facing the runways.

There seems to be green glass, last time there wasnt.

I also noticed that they improved the aircraft gangways and made the walls glass

Old December 13th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #17
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^
Is the second picture the T2 viewing mall?? (the construction seems to be the transit area extension)
Old December 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #18
RafflesCity
By Spirit

hmm...maybe err..cos of the Silk Air plane

quite frankly its getting hard to tell because they are becoming quite similar!

in fact I quite preferred the T1 to the T2 that I normally use, the departure area looks so much nicer
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #19
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

New eateries at T1.....(7/12/04)

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #20
RafflesCity
By Spirit

oh the exterior of T2 now looks quite beautiful with those 'butterfly' wings and whats that huge glass box at T2?

Tags
aviation, changi airport, singapore airlines