daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area

Greater L.A. Area Urban Issues Outside the L.A. City Limits » Orange County | Ventura County | San Bernardino and Riverside Counties

Old January 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1
venturemusic88

Likes (Received): 0

Post Cheap Eats for a Starving College Student?

Just moved to LA and as one might expect, I'm a little short on cash and have been trying to find some cheap restaurants. I don't really care about what type of food it is... as long as I can afford it

For now, I've been surviving on this buy 1 get 1 free promo deal at fatburger. Not bad a few times a week, but can get old after awhile.

http://blog.loopt.com/2011/01/bobsburgers/ -- for others in my position

Any advice would be appreciated...
venturemusic88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2
pesto

Likes (Received): 160

When I was in college the guy I worked with was living on a pound of rice per week. That was it. As you might guess, he was real thin and was not real energetic at work.

I don't suggest this, but buying rice or potatoes or beans in bulk will save you plenty over eating out.

If you want prepared food, chow mein and fried rice usually come pretty cheap in bulk,
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #3
DVD AI

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
When I was in college the guy I worked with was living on a pound of rice per week. That was it. As you might guess, he was real thin and was not real energetic at work.

I don't suggest this, but buying rice or potatoes or beans in bulk will save you plenty over eating out.

If you want prepared food, chow mein and fried rice usually come pretty cheap in bulk,
I second the Beans, Rice approach. It's amazing how good you can make beans and rice taste with just a spritz of lime juice or some tapatio.

But if you don't have time to cook, I recommend dollar menus.
I used to get a $2 meal from Jack in the Box everyday. 2 Tacos, a Chicken sandwich and a water. I'd ask for Buffalo sauce and make it a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. Get creative...whatever you like, try to find an alteration on a dollar menu that you can do.

I also recommend not ordering sodas at any restaurant...try to stay disciplined and order water...it's free, and it doesn't add any unneeded calories. (The freshman 15 isn't a joke.) Drinking soda is notorious for weight gain.

Jeno's burritos are always 10 for $10.
Maybe occasionally buy a Sunday paper and cut out all of the ads that you'd use and save money on meals that way.
DVD AI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #4
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 131

make sure to use
http://www.yelp.com/
saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote