daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

View Poll Results: ..
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 8th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #1
XXX

Likes (Received):

Metro Manila Mass Rapid Transit System

MRT 2 started operations April 5th.

Post more photos of MRT 2!!! It's the most attractive form of transport in Metro Manila. Hopefully the LRT 1 extention, LRT 4, LRT 5 (NorthRail), and LRT 7 will be modeled after MRT 2 and won't be poorly constructed and planed like "MRT 3" (MRT 3 LOOKS CHEAP AND LOW CLASS)

Sponsored Links

Old April 9th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #2
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 12

awesome pics, man. Shows how good the LRT 2 is compared to the others. I agree, MRT 3 could have been much, much better. I wish they replaced those poor and light MRT 3 trains.
ryanr no está en línea  
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #3
swatch69sg
A Flip in the Lion City

Likes (Received): 31

nice pics there!...calling all filipinos in manila, pls. post some more photos...I want to see more of these kinds of pictures...LRT is indeed more attractive than MRT.

http://itsmorefuninthephilippines.com/
swatch69sg no está en línea  
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #4
supercees
My train goes everywhere!

Likes (Received): 13

This metro has quite a wide body! But it's design is cool!
Old April 9th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #5
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

it still looks light rail with those electric overhead cables but it looks very spacious, not very LRT in that factor..

nice pics, never saw them b4
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:36 AM   #6
XXX

Likes (Received):

Here is a link to video of the LRT 2 'MEGATREN' on GMA 7's FRONTPAGE!!!

LRT VIDEO REPORT

Old April 29th, 2003, 04:49 AM   #7
ewh1
Red Hot.

Likes (Received): 6

Great Pics! Manila Is improving.. slowly but still Improving!!!!!
i want the subway construction to start!!! hopefully in a couple yrs
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:28 AM   #8
kiku99
ไทย Amazing Thailand 泰国

Likes (Received): 6

cool! i am sure it will help traffic a lot just like the one in Bangkok.

Bangkok Skyline Links
Thai forum | Bangkok Skyscrapers Info | Amazing Thailand | Bangkok City
kiku99 no está en línea  
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #9
ryanr
Registered non-User

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by kiku99 </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>cool! i am sure it will help traffic a lot just like the one in Bangkok.</td></tr>
</table>

Definately! LRT 1 and MRT 3 already helped the traffic in the areas they are operating in.
ryanr no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:33 AM   #10
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 658

Dear GreyX,

Even though Manila LRT 1 adn LRT3 [METROSTAR] DID help for the traffic relieve, i would be a lot beter if they replace thsoe LRTs with those rolling stock from MEGATREN [LRT2] -> Those Pinoys better put thsoe LRT into their commuter rail lines instead ....

the ROllign Stock for LRT2 is NOT an LRT Rolling stock but Heavy Rail Rolling Stock from ROTEM [Hyundai 's Subsidairy] ... ROTEM also produced subway rolling stocks for Seoul Metro and Delhi Metro .....

ROTEM should offer a great deal once we call a new bid to supply the new rolling stocks for Blue Line Southern Extension as well as the future Orange Line ... but ROTEM needs to get the Japanese alliance (Marubeni, Mitsui) so that JBIC would approve the funding ...
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM   #11
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

the trains look awesome!! so much better than the ones used on the LRT1 and MRT3... and the stations look very modern...

@Wisarut - I don't think they'll be able to use these big trains on the LRT or MRT. they are probably too wide.... but i agree, the LRTs and MRTs should replace the PNR.
absent-minded no está en línea  
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #12
absent-minded

a few images "stolen" from the Philippine forums...

Outside the Santolan Station:

Inside the Santolan Station:

Inside the trains:

Route Map:

I'm both sad and happy to say that the LRT Line 2 has most of the few stations in Manila's rail system equipped with elevators and escalators...
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #13
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 658

Look Pretty Cool However, I hope that after Megatren Line 2 has been colpleted, the via duct to create 2 Interchange (those in the Red dot) with Line 1 and Line 3. Otherwise, it wont' work ...
Old March 5th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #14
absent-minded

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisarut

Look Pretty Cool However, I hope that after Megatren Line 2 has been colpleted, the via duct to create 2 Interchange (those in the Red dot) with Line 1 and Line 3. Otherwise, it wont' work ...
yeah, that's what they really have to do...

they aren't gonna be getting the passengers they expected if these people have to walk from one line's station to the other line...

once they get the huge crowds of riders, the next thing they've gotta tackle is the maintenance of the facilities. older lines 1 and 3 were said to have deteriorated because of the lack of maintainance on stations and trains as the systems were put to use extensively (read: TO THE MAX). let's hope the same will NOT happen on this brand new line - the best we've seen in the country so far...
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:10 PM   #15
ryanr
Registered non-User

Metro Manila - MRT/LRT lines

This has been on of the most successful topics, lets continue this discussion.

Absent, post your map again...
ryanr no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM   #16
renell
Here Since 2002

ok, what's up with the MRT3 extension then?
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM   #17
renell
Here Since 2002

Tatad: Shakedown at LRT

By Paolo Romero
The Philippine Star 03/22/2004

DAVAO CITY — Opposition senatorial candidate Francisco Tatad accused yesterday "some groups" identified with Malacañang of attempting to extort campaign money from at least two large Japanese multinational corporations interested in undertaking the $204-million Light Rail Transit (LRT) expansion project, allegedly to beef up the war chest of President Arroyo.

In an interview, Tatad vowed to unmask the alleged extortionists who he said were railroading and limiting the bidding of the LRT Line-1 Capacity Expansion Project to just two private firms — Kanematsu-Kawasaki Steel consortium and Sumitomo-Itochu joint venture.

A third interested bidder, Marubeni Corp., was rejected during the pre-qualification stage of the bidding process even as it said it had complied with all the bid requirements of the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC).

Marubeni is questioning the bidding process conducted last year, saying it was done "in undue haste."

"There are reports, unconfirmed, that a group closely identified with Malacañang had demanded some unofficial participation fee of $1 million each (from the bidders)," Tatad said. "Whether or not they obliged, we cannot say."

The former senator dared the President, who is seeking a full six-year term in May, to launch a probe into the alleged extortion try.

"Mrs. Arroyo must have this investigated if only to prove she is against such illegal transactions," said Tatad, who is running under the Koalisyon ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino (KNP) banner of Mrs. Arroyo’s chief rival, Fernando Poe Jr.

Deputy Presidential Spokesman Ricardo Saludo, the only Palace official reached by The STAR yesterday, refused to respond directly to Tatad’s allegations.

All Saludo would say was, "Did you ask him (Tatad) if he has proof? If he does, then we could take this further."

The STAR tried to get in touch with DOTC Secretary Leandro Mendoza but he could not be reached for comment.

Transportation Assistant Secretary Robert Castañares, chairman of the pre-qualification and bidding awards committee (PBAC), was also unavailable.

According to Tatad, the same group perceived to be close to the Palace is also demanding a five percent kickback from the total project cost, or about P571 million.

He said this group is pushing for the bidding to proceed despite a contrary recommendation early this year from the Department of Justice (DOJ) for the DOTC to restart the process to ensure it is aboveboard.

However, the DOJ’s legal opinion issued last month was vague.

While it leaned in favor of canceling the first bidding, the DOJ also noted that the decision to rebid the project shall be left to the discretion of the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA), the government body which has jurisdiction over the project.

Nonetheless, Tatad said the DOJ has cited the DOTC’s bidding rules that a bid proposal must include a letter of credit confirmed by a reputable international bank.

Kawasaki, Tatad said, merely submitted a financial advisory while Sumitomo submitted a bank statement from a local bank.

Marubeni, he noted, submitted the required documents but even its technical proposal was not read by the DOTC.

Through a legal counsel, Marubeni accused the LRTA, in coordination with its technical consultant, the Manila TREN consortium, of conducting a questionable evaluation of the bids of the three competing contractors on Sept. 4, 2003.

Marubeni said the LRTA has overlooked the defects in the bids of Kawasaki and Sumitomo.

LRTA’s PBAC opened the bids submitted by the three contractors on Aug. 14. A technical evaluation was conducted by the Manila TREN consortium, which recommended the approval of the proposals of Kawasaki and Sumitomo but rejected the bid of Marubeni on grounds of non-compliance with the requirements.

Manila TREN submitted the evaluation report to the LRTA on Sept. 4, which was approved the following day.

In the original schedule of the bidding process, the PBAC was given seven days to study and approve the evaluation report and the LRTA Board 19 days to concur with the PBAC approval to ensure a thorough evaluation of bids.

The LRTA has reportedly sought the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas’ (BSP’s) opinion on its grounds for acceptance of prequalified bidders.

The LRT Line-1 Capacity Expansion Project 2 will be funded by a loan from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). It is due for completion by September 2006. - With Marvin Sy, Rainier Allan Ronda
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:26 AM   #18
Francis20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

we have a JBIC office here beside us. It belongs to the company, i dunno what they are really up to. The guys seem to be real tough Phillies...and paid more than twice as mine.
Francis20 no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:39 AM   #19
absent-minded

I'll add the information later...
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM   #20
ryanr
Registered non-User

Yup, thats it. Such a good estimation of how the lines will all look like.
ryanr no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
light rail, manila, metro manila, metro systems, mrt, philippines, train