daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > The West Side

The West Side West Hollywood | Beverly Hills | Century City | Venice | Santa Monica | Malibu

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #681
pesto

Likes (Received): 3089

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...927-story.html

Something between news and planted advertising. But it talks about what is happening in the shopping mall. Or should I say "Lifestyle Center"?
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #682
pesto

Took a walk around the new mall last week. Very impressive changes. Heavily influenced by every new hotel lounge, outdoor bar and veranda. In general it seems to be targeting new age and youth with plenty of money. I think they are largely writing-off the older crowd.

Nordstrom went very upscale like the one in SF. Macy's apparently believes the 1960's never ended.

The food is basically a huge trendy food court with the usual build-your-own selections served in a small bowl and costing double what it should. Obviously aimed at the young. I'm not sure where people who want a meal at a decent price are going to eat. About half isn't open yet so there may be some hope. Trejo's Tacos?

Eataly is crowded and horribly overpriced; but there were lines at all the cash registers.

Parking is confusing and way over-thought. It needs work.

And my favorite! At 9:00, before it even opened, there was already a derelict asleep at one of the outdoor tables with his bags around him and flies circling around something sticky on the table he was reclined on. What a fabulous metaphor!

Last edited by pesto; November 10th, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 11th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #683
croyboy

Likes (Received): 289

Since it seems to cater to the youth with money, did you happen to notice the demographic of people who showed up to the mall? Old to young ratio or at least an approximate age group? I haven't been to this mall in 5 years.

I don't usually think of youth when it comes to overpriced food (seeing as people in their 20s and early 30s today are one of the poorest generations for quite some time).

I think no matter when, this mall has always been on the overly bougie side of trends and surroundings. I'm not surprised that new renovations have attempted to cater to such a crowd that just doesn't exist in most other parts of the region. I'm surprised these days that they can still bring in enough of that audience to keep their own revenue up (and afford the upgrades).
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #684
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyboy View Post
Since it seems to cater to the youth with money, did you happen to notice the demographic of people who showed up to the mall? Old to young ratio or at least an approximate age group? I haven't been to this mall in 5 years.

I don't usually think of youth when it comes to overpriced food (seeing as people in their 20s and early 30s today are one of the poorest generations for quite some time).

I think no matter when, this mall has always been on the overly bougie side of trends and surroundings. I'm not surprised that new renovations have attempted to cater to such a crowd that just doesn't exist in most other parts of the region. I'm surprised these days that they can still bring in enough of that audience to keep their own revenue up (and afford the upgrades).
Sounds like you haven't been to the west side in awhile.

My view was pretty narrow and short, but CC was heavily young people, even at Nordies. Young families as well. Practically no one over 60. Eataly was older, I suppose because these are people who actually cook, not go out for every meal.

But even in DT or Hollywood young folks with money drive the clubs, trendy food spots (including fast food), bars, etc. The older folks are a Target or eating at home. And, of course, the middle agers are at work.
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #685
croyboy

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Sounds like you haven't been to the west side in awhile.
I probly end up west of Fairfax once or twice a year (with the exception of a trip to Redondo Pier more frequently). Used to be more often when I lived in Inglewood. Truthfully, I avoided the mall unless I could catch a movie there.
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #686
losangelino

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Took a walk around the new mall last week. Very impressive changes. Heavily influenced by every new hotel lounge, outdoor bar and veranda. In general it seems to be targeting new age and youth with plenty of money. I think they are largely writing-off the older crowd.

Nordstrom went very upscale like the one in SF. Macy's apparently believes the 1960's never ended.

The food is basically a huge trendy food court with the usual build-your-own selections served in a small bowl and costing double what it should. Obviously aimed at the young. I'm not sure where people who want a meal at a decent price are going to eat. About half isn't open yet so there may be some hope. Trejo's Tacos?

Eataly is crowded and horribly overpriced; but there were lines at all the cash registers.

Parking is confusing and way over-thought. It needs work.

And my favorite! At 9:00, before it even opened, there was already a derelict asleep at one of the outdoor tables with his bags around him and flies circling around something sticky on the table he was reclined on. What a fabulous metaphor!
I was in Eataly today and have to admit that I wasn't impressed at all. It was nice enough but way too small. I was expecting something MUCH bigger and old world. The high prices weren't a surprise but those lines seemed completely avoidable had they planned better. I've visited Italy (Venice, Milan) so made a bee line to some items I've longed for (squid ink pasta, coffee, cheese, etc) but the rest seemed not so unique. Also the renovation of the mall? I almost missed it. Seems the same for the most part although with less sun (a negative).

Has anyone heard of another place in LA called "Eatalian" that is supposed to be a pleasant surprise?
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
century city