daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > The West Side

The West Side West Hollywood | Beverly Hills | Century City | Venice | Santa Monica | Malibu

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #41
losangelino

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Agree completely. You can't say never but you can say not for a long, long time. Who supports it? The locals? Environmentalists? Beach-goers? The only ones in favor are developers and the unions and they're not dumb enough to even bring it up.

As LASF says, LB, the Marina and a few similar spots will have some in context development, but basically that's it.
[/I]

It doesn't take that long. Look at Playa del Rey and in and around Jefferson Blvd. I used to work where that Home Depot stands now and absolutely NOTHING was around there but marshes!
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #42
pesto

Likes (Received): 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelino View Post
[/I]

It doesn't take that long. Look at Playa del Rey and in and around Jefferson Blvd. I used to work where that Home Depot stands now and absolutely NOTHING was around there but marshes!
Certainly true, I was surprised that any of those marshes got built on. But that's still low-rise. There's not generally any high rise near the coast. Even in the Marina, on the peninsula it's low rise; only in the harbor (itself largely man-made) is there any high rise.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #43
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbeen View Post
This thread motivated me to go out and take photos exclusively of Long Beach.
I love Long Beach. It has a great downtown, public transportation, a big port industry, loads of tourism,
and totally different from DTLA and DTSM.
Long Beach has always tried to be independent from Los Angeles in culture and makeup. They tried to become the "Miami" of the west. First by changing their name from Willowbrook to Long Beach to attract tourism. That's why they permitted coastal development, though they got a little shy after a very devastating earthquake that caused lots of damage.

I lived there for 2 1/2 years back in 2007-2010, and one of the things I noticed is how you feel like you're not in the conventional Southern Cali LA Metro Area. It feels like something else, even Latin markets are called Bodegas like back in the East Coast...nothing like next door LA (or even the OC and beyond)

Now, beaches and LA. Historically LA residents saw the beach not as a residential place, but as a distraction, our playground. You live in suburbia with your private space and lawn and surf in the evenings or weekends. Living in cubicles like back east would never do, even by the beach.

And as LASF mentioned, here in California the Coastal Commission can do no wrong. California has more tan 70-75% of it's coast protected, and high rise development has never been popular with the masses...we like our nature. Cities like SD, LB and others competed with the popular "LA Metro" for beach tourism (back in the 50's and 60's) so they morphed to be more like "Miami"...we didn't have to.

They would close entire stretches of a beach if an endangered pigeon nests in the sand....we don't complain. Now if this was Texas....

msquaredb, Jordan de California liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #44
MexUsa25

Likes (Received): 25

There a few areas that have highrise buildings near, by or at the beach in the los Angeles area. Santa Monica & Long Beach (downtown).
MexUsa25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #45
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1686

Why does Los Angeles have to have highrises along its coast? A look at both high density vs. low density neighborhoods is in order.

High Rises and "density" are credited with many advantages which is sought after in urban areas. This includes walkable neighborhoods, a variety in housing construction/choice, affordability, public transportation choices to name but a few.

On the other hand, there are many that find single family housing or low density is better for families with children, that there is more neighborliness; social cohesion & a sense of belonging.

For example, it has been the case in Australia where high density areas have been associated as being "problematic" and is usually favored by younger adults; as a temporary stepping stone in a housing pathway which will ultimately lead them to buy their single family home in communities and neighborhoods where they feel they belong. More often than not, many who live in high density areas in high rises, often complain that they do not know their neighbors even though they have been there for years. Higher densities also record more criminal activities. When there is more neighborliness and a sense of community, there is usually much less crime.

North America & Australia have been singled out as builders of sprawling cities whereas the older cities of Europe and Asia have to tend to the limits that have been set out for decades.

Which way is ultimately better? Good zoning policies, and to take advantage of the pros of both high and low density and see what makes your city work better is the best policy. There are many things to consider and height and sprawl are not the only answers.
People need to look at a variety of factors which range from transportation, parking, housing sizes, litter, environment, sense of community, crime to state but a few. Taking factors such as those mentioned above into consideration will ultimately give the answer to the city in question. Remember, what works well for one city doesn't always work for another.

I think that this is where LA stands. Some of the nicest areas of Los Angeles are in close proximity to the ocean. And many of the residents in these areas favor to have another one or two story single family home and/or low rise apartment buildings next to them rather than a 25 story apartment block.

Overall though, it is truly a matter of preference.

MexUsa25 liked this post

Last edited by nick.english.dept; August 17th, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #46
croyboy

Likes (Received): 289

Not really many single family housing in Los Angeles beaches. More than anything, it's probly 2-4 story condos with small footprints.
croyboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #47
timquinn

Likes (Received): 1

Why no high rise development along the coast.

Why isn't the coast of California like the coast of Florida? Look at the topography. Florida is flat. flat as far as you can see. If you want a good view their is only one place you can be assured of a good view that will stay a good view and that is right at the beach. You can't be in the next block back and certainly not a mile or two away. You would have all those other buildings in the way. So, developers, to maximize the value of land, which is their job, build up, so that they can have as many high value units as possible, and they build as far along the coast as the market demands.

Los Angeles County, on the other hand, has excellent view and weather potential all over the place. Why? Mountains of course, and that is the LA view that is equivalent to the Miami view of high rise condos. Mountains covered with tightly packed and expensive homes connected by narrow roads to maximize build-able lots with good views. No need to build up because the terracing of the hill allows for each street to have good views.

The California Coastal Commission was created after a tragic oil spill off the Santa Barbara coast alerted the population that the fragile marine environment was in danger of being destroyed by unregulated industry. This occurred at the height of the the environmental movement of the 70s and became instrumental in the passage of strong legislation at both the state and federal level to protect the environment, which was showing serious degradation even before the oil spill. The CCC was given strong power to regulate any development within two miles of the coast and it became difficult to get any large projects approved in the coastal zone. At the Federal level legislation outlawed DDT, which had been shown responsible for the near disappearance of the ocean mammals, otters, seals, sealions, and the larger birds that lived along the ocean edge. Everything larger than a seagull had pretty much disappeared. Of course, these were only the visible signs of degradation.

These measures have had a remarkable impact on life along the coast. Bird and mammal populations have returned. Most or all of the large buildings you see along the coast pre-date the creation of the CCC. Any project proposed will get a strong and thorough looking over and probably be forced to downsize from what would be feasible if only economic factors were being taken into consideration.

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
timquinn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #48
pesto

Likes (Received): 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by timquinn View Post
Why isn't the coast of California like the coast of Florida? Look at the topography. Florida is flat. flat as far as you can see. If you want a good view their is only one place you can be assured of a good view that will stay a good view and that is right at the beach. You can't be in the next block back and certainly not a mile or two away. You would have all those other buildings in the way. So, developers, to maximize the value of land, which is their job, build up, so that they can have as many high value units as possible, and they build as far along the coast as the market demands.

Los Angeles County, on the other hand, has excellent view and weather potential all over the place. Why? Mountains of course, and that is the LA view that is equivalent to the Miami view of high rise condos. Mountains covered with tightly packed and expensive homes connected by narrow roads to maximize build-able lots with good views. No need to build up because the terracing of the hill allows for each street to have good views.
Not sure about this. SF, SD and the LB area have plenty of hills and views and still have high rises at the coast. So do parts of LA (the Marina).

Only recently did SF change the law to protect the Embarcadero area from high rise, and that was done by initiative process over the wishes of the Mayor and City Council.

The real factor involved here seems to be that the smaller local cities and communities won't allow their cities to be despoiled. They have support from state law, but SF, SD, LB and others show that it's only when there is a local consensus that high rise is better than the alternatives that you get them.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #49
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 529

Why does this thread keep getting bumped?
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #50
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

They are about to start a decent sized project in the Marina again, but it involves ripping up Via Marina to lay sewer lines under the street, and more low to mid-rise apartments being built. Its going to be a nightmare to say the least; parking got tough in the Silver Strand area in the last few years because most of these greedy developers did not build enough parking for residents and guests in these new buildings, so they fan out and fill the neighborhood where I am located, and its getting aggravating to park. If I can find a spot out in front on my place, I consider myself lucky and try to play the lotto on the same day!

When they build these new apartments in the Marina, the soil is mostly sand, and sinkholes do open randomly. Years ago, about a block or two from me a sinkhole opened right in front of a 4 story house worth close to 3 Million. The foundations are dug out pretty deep in this area though. Marina Harbor's newest building at 5 stories (65 feet tall) had a pit that went down a good 40 ft. I remember them driving piles into the ground, and it used to jolt our building with every strike for hours on end. This sandy area is not the best for quakes, so buildings over here have to be sturdy because of the liquefaction, and earthquakes shake hardest on this particular kind of terrain. The structures in this area are constantly settling as well due to this fact, but its very little. I worry more about the ground opening up in an earthquake, and also the close proximity to water. After what happened in Sumatra a while back with the Tsunami, local authorities here put up signs along the street "Tsunami Evacuation" with an arrow pointed in the proper direction, but if the shit ever hit the fan, the streets would be jammed. I would try to run for one of the sturdy existing high rises down the street from me if I could not get out of the area in time.

I have to go look up the Marina projects on the CCC website so I can post it in the forums since I dont see it anywhere. Its going to involve a new shopping center with Trader Joes, but closer to the beach and houses this time. Think of the general area where the Cheesecake Factory is, but then go farther down the street towards the channel (Marina Peninsula). I am having issues picturing a Trader Joes and all this other shit in the area. I am not a NIMBY, I just wish the developers would address the problems first before building like traffic, parking, etc.. There needs to be a balance, or else the current residents get the short end of the stick.

The CCC does have a LOT of power in this area too. A 15 story condo tower down the street from me was proposed, but shot down VERY fast in the last 10-12 years. People here have extreme bouts of nimby'ism, but a lot of the time its because the developers dont compensate for the impact made in the area, but building more parking into their new buildings, and plan for any addition traffic by the sudden population surge...

msquaredb liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #51
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5349

Edit

Last edited by Saiholmes; January 12th, 2015 at 05:22 AM.
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #52
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

I agree... LA needs higher buildings
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote