search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 216 votes, 4.96 average.
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #3861
mikemcniven
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altfish View Post
February seems a strange time, surely the May 2018 timetable change would make more sense.
I expected that some of the services would have remained via Wigan
The document I shared states the following regarding the scottish services

Page 34

Quote:
All Scottish services are to be planned to run via Wigan. The existing calls at Wigan North Western are to remain as current on these services. It may be possible to divert these services via Bolton once electrification is complete, but this is unlikely to be possible before May 2018 due to industry planning timescales.

Freel07 liked this post
mikemcniven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:06 AM   #3862
WatcherZero

Also from that report Ordsall Chord still expected to be completed by December but because of delays to Manchester-Preston electrification (looks like it will still be physically completed by Dec or shortly thereafter but not enough time for training and testing before passenger services using it till March so may wait till bi-annual timetable change in May). Sunday increased frequencies will go ahead as planned from December as well as Bolton-Blackburn and some TPE service improvements. The main impact will be on weekday planned Ordsall Chord services as they wont have released the diesels from the Bolton line to redeploy elsewhere.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3863
mikemcniven
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Also from that report Ordsall Chord still expected to be completed by December but because of delays to Manchester-Preston electrification (looks like it will still be physically completed by Dec or shortly thereafter but not enough time for training and testing before passenger services using it till March so may wait till bi-annual timetable change in May). Sunday increased frequencies will go ahead as planned from December as well as Bolton-Blackburn and some TPE service improvements. The main impact will be on weekday planned Ordsall Chord services as they wont have released the diesels from the Bolton line to redeploy elsewhere.
But it also states some diesel will be released by the Blackpool closure
mikemcniven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:31 PM   #3864
WatcherZero

Yeah, which is how they are managing Blackburn
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:19 PM   #3865
Greybeard33

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcniven View Post
The document I shared states the following regarding the scottish services

Page 34
The provisional Working Timetable still shows most of the TPE Scottish services switching to the Bolton line from 12 Feb 2018 (in the peaks they will still run via Wigan, presumably to avoid being swamped by Bolton-Manchester commuters). However, there is a mismatch, because they are supposed to be replaced on the Wigan route by a new hourly Northern service between the Airport and Lancaster (with extensions to Barrow and Windermere). That is not now scheduled to start until the May timetable change.

TPE still has a month to sort this out, before the 12 week advance booking window opens for 12 Feb and passengers start making bookings from Bolton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
From 11 Dec 2017, a token few off-peak Northern diesel services between Victoria and Leeds are scheduled to be extended to Oxford Road around the Ordsall Chord (they will presumably use units that would otherwise be idle between the peaks).
Greybeard33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:21 PM   #3866
bogblaster

Likes (Received): 870

The BBC website is reporting that there are delays to electrification works on the route between Manchester and Preston because of the discovery of unknown mine workings and other ground conditions. See bbc.co.uk and there is a link on the homepage.
bogblaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:15 PM   #3867
Greybeard33

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogblaster View Post
The BBC website is reporting that there are delays to electrification works on the route between Manchester and Preston because of the discovery of unknown mine workings and other ground conditions. See bbc.co.uk and there is a link on the homepage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41706213

Some more details about the ground condition problems in this Network Rail video from a few days ago: https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGNRP/...14397905612802.

They seem to include "running sand", which also delayed the Farnworth Tunnel project, and a high water table, as well as old mine workings.

bogblaster, Freel07 liked this post
Greybeard33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:44 PM   #3868
Freel07

Likes (Received): 14966

There was a question posed on the Victoria thread regarding some site clearance work in progress at the former Victoria East Junction. I posted a response which posed a further question. As both the original question and my follow-on question really concern electrification here is a link to the post. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=7041
I wonder whether anyone here can comment.
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:55 PM   #3869
bogblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
There was a question posed on the Victoria thread regarding some site clearance work in progress at the former Victoria East Junction. I posted a response which posed a further question. As both the original question and my follow-on question really concern electrification here is a link to the post. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=7041
I wonder whether anyone here can comment.
Is the compound on Bromley Street the one on which MPT have their name and logo?
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #3870
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 3554

I am thinking it will be electrical but I secretly hope it is the long awaited east end remodling. At the moment the layout is extremely inflexible and as has been shown at the west end a few extra sets of points will really make a big difference. All the east end works seemed to go very quiet a while ago.

You wouldnt imagine the feeder would use the old loop line but then maybe that is easier than running it down through the confined bridges further up the bank.
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #3871
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogblaster View Post
Is the compound on Bromley Street the one on which MPT have their name and logo?
I'm afraid I don't know as I have only seen the Bromley Street site from a train. It isn't a compound, it's simply a trackside site just before Rochdale Road bridge as you climb away from Victoria.

IMG_20170810_122007 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

IMG_20170810_122132 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

There is another site which is a compound at the top of the climb at Collyhurst Street alongside Oldham Road . It is near to where the new GMWDA siding is located where those until recently unused sidings are. That has been being used for signalling contractors I think.

bogblaster, wrinkly liked this post
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #3872
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
I am thinking it will be electrical but I secretly hope it is the long awaited east end remodling. At the moment the layout is extremely inflexible and as has been shown at the west end a few extra sets of points will really make a big difference. All the east end works seemed to go very quiet a while ago.

You wouldnt imagine the feeder would use the old loop line but then maybe that is easier than running it down through the confined bridges further up the bank.
I tried to get some photos today but they don't really show the site too well. The excavator is working on the site which is covered in protective boards.

P1250121 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1250124 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1250122 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

I didn't mean that the cable would use the loop alignment, rather the feeder would be taken into a compound or small electrical building somewhere around the old East Junction.. Certainly the cable route goes right across the old loop junction site. You can see the grey plastic ducting in this photo. It is clearly labelled Danger 25k Volts or something similar.

P1250125 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #3873
bogblaster

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know as I have only seen the Bromley Street site from a train. It isn't a compound, it's simply a trackside site just before Rochdale Road bridge as you climb away from Victoria
No definitely not the one I imagined. In fact it is on the opposite side of the tracks.
Old October 26th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #3874
Joseph_Locke
Engineer

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_H1 View Post
I am thinking it will be electrical but I secretly hope it is the long awaited east end remodelling.
I rather fear you have a lot longer to wait for that. Anyway, it's only 20 years old - not even life expired, never mind well-into-last-ditch-life-extension, which seems to be where layouts and interlockings have to get before anything happens.

Freel07 liked this post
Joseph_Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #3875
Freel07

Whilst waiting for a tram at Victoria yesterday I noticed that one or tow OLE foundations have appeared between Platform 1 and Metrolink.

P1250098 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

P1250100 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

wrinkly, purple_cat, Tony_H1, r02bapurdie liked this post
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #3876
Tony_H1
was Local lad

There are two matching holes dug behind the green fence separating platforms 2 and 3.

Freel07 liked this post
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #3877
Stopfordian Dreamer

Likes (Received): 6820

Quote:
I tried to get some photos today but they don't really show the site too well. The excavator is working on the site which is covered in protective boards.

P1250121 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Ah so is it because of these electrification works that they are cutting down the trees on the disused viaduct here? Ah thanks for that, I keep seeing it on the tram wondering what it's for, like leave those trees alone!
Stopfordian Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #3878
Tony_H1
was Local lad

The railway so much more reliable where there are no trees!
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:56 PM   #3879
Altfish
Mike

Likes (Received): 2032

I thought electrification east of Stalyvegas was on the back burner?

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...nnine-upgrade/

I suppose the appointment of the alliance doesn't mean it is going to be done.
Altfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:46 PM   #3880
wrinkly

Likes (Received): 1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altfish View Post
I thought electrification east of Stalyvegas was on the back burner?
No, it's just that

1) we're waiting for the completion of GRIP3 (option selection) which is due to report at the end of the year.

2) In July when Grayling cancelled Cardiff-Swansea, Kettering-Nottingham/Sheffield and Oxenholme-Windermere, he suggested in an interview with the FT that the outcome for TP might be discontinuous electrification, omitting the difficult bits (and that these might include Standedge Tunnel), with operation by bi-mode trains. (He also suggested that the two extra platforms at Picc might not happen and suggested technology might be a subsitute.)

3) Victoria-Stalybridge was to be completed by the end of this year but has been cut back to the first half mile out of Vic.

Freel07 liked this post
wrinkly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: