search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction The latest news!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
liamkm
liam

Likes (Received): 0

Ipswich Wet Dock Regeneration: Photos, It's great.

Ipswich Wet Dock Regeneration

I recently visited my old hometown Ipswich and was completely astonished by the huge amount of construction work. When I lived in Ipswich there was nothing on the development front except for a cheap sprawling cinema, with a large carparck and macdonalds. Now at long last the wet dock area is receiving the development it deserves: high density housing, offices and associated bars and restaurants. Ipswich is also building a university and there is quaite a bit of work completed near the football ground. I also noticed large areas of former industrial land being cleared futher up the river, but I only had time to photograph the Wet Dock area.

I have started by presenting the new buildings, then in an effort to show the context of the development I have shown the old areas of dereliction and the early stages of construction.

What is clear is that there is still much work to be done; Im pleased to see that much of the preparation for this is already happening.

Looking west we can see the Contship building, which was refurbished about 10 years before anything else. Beyond this is the area currently being rebuilt. The old mills are very dramatic, and are presently a mix of derilict, newly built and demolished sites.

Numerous ancient building back onto the wet dock area, including 2 medieval churches. These former warehouses now contain a nice restaurant and a shitty cocktail bar.

The old custom house is a spectacular building associated with the original use of the area. The wet dock was the largest dock in the world when constructed in the mid nineteenth century.

West of custom house is the current major building site.

We are now going to move behind the buildings facing the dock. Old custom house:

Looking towards the churches in the town centre. There is terrible derilict land and crap buildings between the dock and the town centre.

There are two churches directly behind the riverfront mills. In addition there are two slightly further along. The result is four of these churches in a line, one pretty much every few hundred metres. I think most are derelict.

This is Wolseys gate, which has something to do with Cardinal Wolseys plan for a university hundreds of years ago. The location around this is shocking. Across the orad is the towns oldsest pub also derelict. The state of this area has been a disgrace for years, thank goodness its changing.

This site is where a 22 storey tower, the tallest in East Anglia, will be built. The site was of archelogical importance. I seem to remember when I lived in Ipswich the existing mill building catching on fire.

Portman road in the distance:

Now we are moving back onto the riverfront

Commercial district in the distance:

I find these old mill buildings very dramatic. The previous use of this area is fascinating, I hope the tracks are retained.

There are other development sites in Ipswich, which I will try to bring to you sometime.

Have a good evening

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #2
liamkm
liam

My painfully slow connection tonight means these photos are still uploading. Should all be done in half an hour
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #3
maxxam80

Likes (Received): 3

great photos my friend

Many times I have been to Ipsiwch

while the dock apartments are quite good the aprtments going up all over the centre are in cheap shit pastel colours
maxxam80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #4
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 10

Looks nice. I mean something in Ipswich was bound to look half decent eventually wasn't it?
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Starslight

Likes (Received): 18

It was recently announced that a constrcution compay had been contracted to start work on the university campus. Should all start happening soon, and I can't wait for the tower! The wetdock could be such a cool place, I just hope they make the most of it.

Good article on it in the times recently: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...8-2417993.html

Last edited by Starslight; November 6th, 2006 at 04:20 AM.
Starslight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #6
JackSwan
click click

Likes (Received): 1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxam80 View Post
while the dock apartments are quite good the aprtments going up all over the centre are in cheap shit pastel colours
i agree. many of the new apartment buildings going up, even those not far from the docks itself, are rather cheap-looking and will inevitably age very quickly. some have tried to be innovative with their designs though and many boast maritime motifs, such as sail-styled roofs and balconies that seek to emulate those on ships (possibly a bit tacky, but at least it shows signs of intelligence).

i won't waste my time taking pictures of these developments as they're ten a penny, but if i'm still living in ipswich when construction of the university commences i'll certainly try to keep a running photo commentary.
JackSwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #7
Starslight

What are the chances that any students will ever want to come to Ipswich now?
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #8
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12261

well london is quite famous for jack the ripper... i believe yorkshire has a yorkshire ripper. lol. ipswich is no seedier than any other similarly sized town.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

There was Jack the Ripper, Jack the Stripper, Yorkshire ripper and sadly one in Ipswich now
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Starslight

A really good site about the mill project. Includes pictures of the expected look of the tower (what will be the tallest building in East Anglia)!

http://www.liveatthemill.com
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #11
dubsi

Cranfields Mill

Hi,
Does anyone have any up to date photo's of what's happening around the Cranfields Mill development site please ?
dubsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #12
Starslight

When I get a new camera hopefully this week I'll pop down to the waterfront and take a few photos. it's all very exciting down there at the moment with Cranfield Mill and UCS;. Once all the construction is done hopefully we will be able to show off the waterfront for the first time in years.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #13
Starslight

This appeared in yesterdays paper, it looks good!

"THIS is the ambitious vision for a major 100million hotel and retail development on Ipswich waterfront.

Planning bosses at Ipswich Borough Council are considering a revised application for the St Peter's Port scheme before its go before a committee in late August.

If it gets the go-ahead, the ground-breaking project to build three hotels, a car park and retail space, will create the most expensive commercial building ever built in Suffolk.

Developers Braceforce have modified their original proposals for the project, on land between Star Lane and College Street, so it would now be a totally commercial scheme.

Braceforce's sales and marketing director, John Di Carlo, said: We have modified our original plans to harmonise with the way Ipswich is developing.

Our research has revealed a huge demand for eco-friendly offices in the centre of town - both from businesses already in the town and those prepared to re-locate.

We will be providing the most highly specified offices in Suffolk with an extremely low carbon footprint.

We have absolutely no doubt that St Peter's Port will support and boost the changing face of Ipswich life, in business and in leisure.

One of the main features of the development would be a wall clad in self-cleaning vertical glass panels.

These curving panels would form a wave-like glass curtain that wraps around the development and according to the glass manufacturers it will be the largest installation of its kind in the world.

James Hehir, Chief Executive of Ipswich Borough Council, said: St Peter's Port is an imaginative scheme which will help to transform this area and provide an essential link between the Waterfront and the town.

Although the St Peter's Port development has yet to be granted planning permission many large retailers have already confirmed their desire to be part of the project.

Tesco has exchanged contracts on a Tesco Express store to be sited on the ground floor.

Accor, Europe's largest hotel group, has committed to a 165 room Etap hotel which is expected to be the brand's flagship for Europe.

Whitbread has agreed terms on a 117 room Premier Travel Inn as well as a new Brewer's Fayre restaurant in the listed building that fronts College Street.

Negotiations are also at a final stage with another hotel group to provide a boutique hotel with 58 rooms.

The development would also include a 420 space below-ground public car park."

And I promise to take photos of current construction soon!
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #14
dubsi

Thanks for that. I'm told that Cranfields Mill is due for completion by the end of 2008 but haven't heard anything on progress as yet.
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Starslight

Ok, I ran past there the other day, didn't have much time but got some photos of some of the stuff going on, though I'm not entirely sure which one was Cranfield Mill so I just went for the one with the big arse tower crane. (These are the first photos of my own I've posted so hope they are ok)

If there's a nice day soon I'll go and take some photos of the whole area.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #16
Starslight

Here some more photos for anyone who is interested....

The New UCS building just now appearing above the hoardings.

Two tower cranes busy at work at what I believe to be Cranfield Mill.

The crane working on the core.

Both cranes in one shot.

The crane not working on the core.

The only part that looks nearly finished (believe they are still doing the interior)

Looking down the river from the station bridge towards the wet docks.

Last edited by Starslight; August 4th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Starslight

Good article in the EADT yesterday regarding the waterfront. You can also see some panoramas on this site with interactive links telling you what is happening on the waterfront.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/b...2020:06:54:327

And if anyone else actually replies to this thread you might get some more )nd hopefully better) photos.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #18
dubsi

Starslight,
Thank you very much for the photo's and the recent link.
As you know I am particularly interested in the Cranfields Mill development and am told that Block A will be completed at the end of 2008.
The re-development of the whole area really seems to be picking up pace now.
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #19
Ipswich_Regeneration

Hi All,

I'm launching a website in the next few weeks all about the regeneration of Ipswich, so watch this space!

It will be big and very comprehensive with photos etc

I don't live in Ips anymore, but am really interested in the changes going on there... If anyone can post any recent photos that would be awesome... I'm not back till Easter when I'll be taking a loads of photos and upload them to my site and then it will be up and running...

Ipswich_Regeneration no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #20
Ipswich_Regeneration

St. Peter's Port - 3 hotels, retail and restaurants. One will be a boutique style hotel with a rooftop restaurant with an aquarium wall.
It will also bring back into use the listed former burton's & son offices (next to Wolsey's Gate) as a restaurant. Development is due to commence by end of 2008.

Ipswich_Regeneration no está en línea   Reply With Quote