search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction The latest news!

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #321
russp

Likes (Received): 8

The 3 remaining tower blocks in Layton (Walter Robinson Court, Elizabeth Court and Churchill Court) are to be demolished by Explosive Demolition on Sunday May 15.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/ne...-end-1-7836241
russp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #322
Johnny de Rivative
Nostalgia Yet to Come

Likes (Received): 11413

Here's an article from the June edition of 'To-day's Railways UK'. Do we know which building has to be demolished to make way for the tramway? (I hope it's Wilkinson's!) :-

But I don't suppose that the trams will be able to descend to the station entrance at the lower level . . . ?

JOHNNY'S BIG BANG:- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=250#5000

Metrolink Full Chronology http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...age=1068#21357

Midland Metro Future route Centenary Square<>Edgbaston http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=458#9158
Midland Metro Future route HS2 Birmingham Curzon<>Deritend http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...984&page=6#109
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:16 PM   #323
russp

Final 3 tower blocks in Layton were demolished today.

Not advisable to stand downwind when this is done.

Just before demolition

The view now from junction of Caunce St. and Collingwood afterwards.

Youtube video
https://youtu.be/bsezIPVj1kQ
Old August 20th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #324
Chewy2nd

Likes (Received): 5

The CG version of Blackpool in Tim Burton's new film seems a little.. off?

Here's the trailer itself, there's a scene in there from the North Pier too!
Chewy2nd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #325
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy2nd View Post
The CG version of Blackpool in Tim Burton's new film seems a little.. off?

Here's the trailer itself, there's a scene in there from the North Pier too!
Yeah they seem to have shifted the tower a few hundred feet North to Talbot Square!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #326
Blackpool88

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/ou...ster-1-8153236

I link to a new £16m roller coaster to be built at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, it looks pretty decent actually.
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #327
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6028

I go to Blackpool once a year with my family. For the last 4 years or so I have noticed definite improvement in the place. The new seafront, cleaning up of the town centre area, rejuvenation of the tower complex and so on have made a big difference. This year is the first year I felt like the place had gone backwards.

Some of the new areas around the station are already starting to look a bit shabby. The lighting over the streets (the silver arch things and so on) looks in need of a refurb and some of the glass ball light things were smashed. Some of the public artwork had graffiti and gum over it etc.

It's not all bad and nothing major but I do hope that having gone so far the local authority is slipping back into allowing the progress to decay in the way it had in the past. It's fine to move on to new projects but the regeneration done already needs to be maintained.

The area up towards the pleasure beach has also become noticeably more tatty again. Filthy toilets on the pier, the row of buildings in front of the pleasure beach really scruffy, junk food shops filling every empty space and so on.

Come on Blackpool - don't slip back into bad habits!
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #328
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
I go to Blackpool once a year with my family. For the last 4 years or so I have noticed definite improvement in the place. The new seafront, cleaning up of the town centre area, rejuvenation of the tower complex and so on have made a big difference. This year is the first year I felt like the place had gone backwards.

Some of the new areas around the station are already starting to look a bit shabby. The lighting over the streets (the silver arch things and so on) looks in need of a refurb and some of the glass ball light things were smashed. Some of the public artwork had graffiti and gum over it etc.

It's not all bad and nothing major but I do hope that having gone so far the local authority is slipping back into allowing the progress to decay in the way it had in the past. It's fine to move on to new projects but the regeneration done already needs to be maintained.

The area up towards the pleasure beach has also become noticeably more tatty again. Filthy toilets on the pier, the row of buildings in front of the pleasure beach really scruffy, junk food shops filling every empty space and so on.

Come on Blackpool - don't slip back into bad habits!
Hi Octoman, what an excellent post and I totally agree about the maintenance being king as we move forward.

I'm going to read your post to some of the powers that be at the council because you are spot on as we grow as a town it's essential we constantly look after the works we have already built, where this has happened has been where there is a good business at the heart of it so the Winter Gardens or Blackpool transport are good examples, sometimes the council less so.

Over Christmas (it will be the first chance I have some spare time to list what we have coming up), I'll also put up a list of some of the exciting projects we have got underway in Blackpool over the next few years.

By the way mate did you have any other observations on things that could be improved.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #329
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 6028

Hi Zim,

Great to hear you are still fighting the good fight up there.

I'll have a think about what jumped out. Mainly it was just a creeping feel of decay at the pleasure beach end and evidence of poor maintenance on the already regenerated areas.

I think the stretch of seafront from the Pleasure beach to the central pier really needs some attention. A couple of new developments have improved it but it really is just a sea of junk food stands, shops peddling tat and run down hotels. The piers really should be in a better condition too given their prominence. I'm not sure what can be done and I know that is part of the Blackpool experience (I'm not averse to a hot dog or burger myself but how many can a person eat).

Near the tower there are now some quite nice coffee shops and restaurants. That new modern looking building on the front has a very nice restaurant in it actually. Something like that towards the pleasure beach end would make a big difference.

Zim Flyer liked this post
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #330
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 157

i wish the very best for Blackpool such an interesting City in the UK with a wonderful history.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

INFERNAL ELF está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 01:47 AM   #331
Blackpool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Hi Zim,

Great to hear you are still fighting the good fight up there.

I'll have a think about what jumped out. Mainly it was just a creeping feel of decay at the pleasure beach end and evidence of poor maintenance on the already regenerated areas.

I think the stretch of seafront from the Pleasure beach to the central pier really needs some attention. A couple of new developments have improved it but it really is just a sea of junk food stands, shops peddling tat and run down hotels. The piers really should be in a better condition too given their prominence. I'm not sure what can be done and I know that is part of the Blackpool experience (I'm not averse to a hot dog or burger myself but how many can a person eat).

Near the tower there are now some quite nice coffee shops and restaurants. That new modern looking building on the front has a very nice restaurant in it actually. Something like that towards the pleasure beach end would make a big difference.

The thing that always struck me is that one of these establishments selling crap will go out of business and immediately another will spring up in the same spot selling exactly the same stuff, I might set up a little consultancy advising people on what was there before, you would imagine these people do actually draw up business plans? Or maybe they don't but you're right, how many ***** shaped lolly shops or very dodgy kebab huts can we support?

Old December 24th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #332
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in updating it's been a really busy year.

I've got a full list of project updates on lots of fronts but I'll start with the projects underway and completed during 2016.

The main project is the £125 million sea defence and clean beach water project at Anchorsholme in the north of Blackpool. Most of the prom opened four weeks ago and the pictures I took are from just before it opened.

The completed project will see new sea defences (the new prom) and storage tanks, water processing areas under the connecting Anchorsholme Park which will see an ampitheatre, cafe, sports and play zones opened connected, the tram stops, Park and new prom together. The full project is expected to be completed by 2020:

and last but not least on a clear day you have some fantastic views of the Lake District from here:

[img]

Another completed project was the new statue at the Winter Gardens, it's a great addition to the main entrance at the WG:

Another project well under way is a plan to demolish a number of ex B&B's due to the issues the cause through the behaviour of poor tenants and replace them with family homes, this is at the Foxhall area just past the Central Pier and is likely to be the first of many new housing schemes in the town:

Moving further along:

I'll post the pictures of all the projects that are currently at advanced planning stage and likely to go live in 2017 / 2018 as soon as I get a chance:
Old December 24th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #333
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

The biggest two projects that are currently being worked on are the tram extension see the Blackpool tram thread for more details:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=572141

The long and the short of it is all the paper work has been submitted and we are now waiting on the decision to build from the DfT. If we get the green light, construction will start in 2018 with an opening date of 2019.

The council have brought the Wilkinson's building and that will be demolished in 2017 with the tram stop being built there and the underpass to the station widened, with the council's current view being a hotel being built around it:

The view from the railway station:

Now this means Wilkinson's who are in the current building by the station which is about to be demolished will need a new home and they are due to move to the back of the Winter Gardens next to the Houndshill centre in to this proposed building which gives them the ground floor and a hotel on the upper floors:

The other big project is the new conference centre at the back of the Winter Gardens at Leopold Grove, this would regenerate this side of the building as well as bringing much needed conference space to Blackpool, the scheme comes in at £25 million and we find out if we have been successful in our funding bid in April with construction due to start October 2017:

connecting old and new:

The council have also brought the buildings across the road from the proposed Conference Centre with the view to building a hotel once the Conference Centre is built and linking it to the Conference Centre.

Other projects are the Sandsvenue has put in plans to build this hotel on the Promenade:

Construction also starts on the Hampton by Hilton Hotel on the Promenade in 2017, there is currently a burnt out hotel at that site which is currently being demolished:

We also have the Blackpool Enterprise Zone, which is starting to move forward with it's branding and role, so moving forward I would say the dates to watch out for in 2017 are the permission being granted from the DfT and news on the Conference Centre funding and growth in the Enterprise Zone.

ferge, LS6, Bylina liked this post
Old January 12th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #334
seasidersfan

Likes (Received): 20

These look fantastic for our town!!!

seasidersfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #335
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidersfan View Post
These look fantastic for our town!!!
Definitely mate and good news re the Conference Centre. The money has been confirmed so we should see construction start in October
Old October 28th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #336
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been super busy this year (in a good way).

Good news construction started this week of the new Conference Centre adjoining the Winter Gardens on Leopold Grove. I'll get regular picture updates.

In the mean time, these were two I took a couple of weeks ago whilst on the tram:

This is a big redevelopment of a failed OAP home on the front in to luxary appartments called Coastal Point:

and a few yards away the Hampton Hotel is well underway:

Fernando Partridge, Bylina liked this post

Last edited by Zim Flyer; October 28th, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old November 21st, 2017, 12:43 AM   #337
russp

The Pleasure Beach have plans in for a new 120 bed hotel.

This will be built on the site of the Star Pub, which will be demolished along with another building.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...ther-1-8866066

Bylina liked this post

Tags
north west england