daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る

Infrastructure & Citytalk / インフラと街について語る Mass transit, Urban issues, Architecture etc / 公共交通機、都市問題、建築など

Old May 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #1
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

Likes (Received): 1

What are the types of normal residential housing in Japan?

I see lots of mid-rise buildings from the Japanese urban photos.
I guess most of them are office buildings, or are they mostly residential apartments? Or a mixture?
In large cities like Tokyo and Osaka, where do most people live? mid-rise apartments mixed with CBD highrises or suburban houses? Do rich people tend to live in apartments in the city or houses?
My Japanese housemate told me that an ordinary Japanese family usually lives in a single house with a very tiny back yard in the suburbs(or small towns). Is that true?

Sponsored Links

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2
DoubleR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

DoubleR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

^Do most people live in apartments like those? They look very luxerious....But I'm more interested in ordinary Japanese homes. Anyway thanks for the pictures*
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #4
DoubleR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pox
^Do most people live in apartments like those? They look very luxerious....But I'm more interested in ordinary Japanese homes. Anyway thanks for the pictures*
How do you mean by ordinary Japanese homes? These are the ordinary Japanese homes.
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #5
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 3

Ordinary people living in Roppongi hills, eh? This coming from a guy who calls me one of the poor Chinks who will not be able to afford expensive cars forever.

Alex Pox, your friends are probably right. The endless suburbs consist of moderately-sized single houses and apartment complexes (these tend to be modestly sized, not sprawling areas of identical buildings). I have a friend who's in an exchange program in Japan right now, so she's got me posted on her living environs. with many "ordinary" Japanese families and students.
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #6
DoubleR
BANNED

The ordinary people are living in Roppongi Hills and commute to the companies or schools. 4,500,000 ($45,000) yen per month is really nothing. The rich people in Japan are living in huge houses and villas with big garden and swimming pool, which are even more expensive.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #7
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleR
$45,000 per month is really nothing.
You are out of this world.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #8
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

I don't really believe what DoubleR said......sorry about that, I just feel that way~
I think if the majority of people live in apartments, these ones in the pictures are obviously too luxerious for most of them. One of my friend's been to Tokyo, and she said I couldn't imagine how small their apartments are....even smaller than those in Hong Kong. I guess they have to try their best to save space. I know Japanese people make a lot of money(some people don't have to show off, please~), but things in Japan are extremely expensive too~especially when we talk about luxerious apartments in innner Tokyo. I'm just not sure whether people tend to live in houses or apartments...
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9
maxxam80

so what you are saying DoubleR is that the average Japanese person is a millionaire. That is wrong.

Us Londoners earn a higher wage than Tokyoites
maxxam80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #10
okinawatyphoon

I love the Japanese condo towers....soo tall and soo many of them. On okinawa we just have midrise ones....10-20 stories mostly.
Old May 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawatyphoon
I love the Japanese condo towers....soo tall and soo many of them. On okinawa we just have midrise ones....10-20 stories mostly.
So is that the common residential housing type in your area?
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #12
Vapour
Moderator in love

Likes (Received): 10

Do you like Doraemon? Nobita's is the typical family house.
La objetividad son los padres Vapour 18/11/2010 10:40 GMT
東急線の利用者
Eu sou o maior da minha aldeia - Presidente da comissão "Alcoutim a megalópole"
Los panzersuegra arden en ladrillingrado. Nadie los recordará avanzando al 17% En idealista.com, abril de 2007.
Vapour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour
Do you like Doraemon? Nobita's is the typical family house.
そうか。。But isn't that like a small town? What about people in cities like Tokyo? What about those midrise buildings in the photos? Are they office blocks or apartments?
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 583

Some pics.

Yokohama

Outside the big cities
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #15
Vapour
Moderator in love

Likes (Received): 10

There are tons of apartment midrises in Tokyo and other major cities, but most people live in houses.
La objetividad son los padres Vapour 18/11/2010 10:40 GMT
東急線の利用者
Eu sou o maior da minha aldeia - Presidente da comissão "Alcoutim a megalópole"
Los panzersuegra arden en ladrillingrado. Nadie los recordará avanzando al 17% En idealista.com, abril de 2007.
Vapour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #16
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Quote:
My Japanese housemate told me that an ordinary Japanese family usually lives in a single house with a very tiny back yard in the suburbs(or small towns). Is that true?
Very true.
Aside from residential towers in big cities, which are on the rise in numbers recently, the Japanses really dislike living in apartments unlike Koreans and Chinese.
Even a small house (but except large city area such as Tokyo and Osaka, the house in Japan is not so small compared with the one in Europe), people prefer to live in a single house rather than in an apartment.
coldstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #17
DoubleR
BANNED

Quote:
One of my friend's been to Tokyo, and she said I couldn't imagine how small their apartments are....even smaller than those in Hong Kong. I guess they have to try their best to save space.
In Tokyo, there are of course some horrible areas. Why do you use these bad examples as if representing Tokyo itself? I'd say Edogawa, Katsushika and Adachi wards are particularly terrible. Dirty, crammed up and polluted. I would say they have some of the worst living conditions in Japan. Yet they are very expensive. It's completely rip off. But these apartments in the pictures I posted (originally posted by fairladyZ) all are in central Tokyo. They are expensive but really deserve the price you have to pay. It's some of the best standard of life in the world you can imagine to live in those places. Remember in 80s (Tokyo still is the most expensive city in the world) we could virtually buy the United States by Tokyo 23 wards property price. If you don't have enough money, you should simply avoid living in Tokyo but better living in the suburbs if you are to commute or study in Tokyo.

Last edited by DoubleR; May 29th, 2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #18
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour
There are tons of apartment midrises in Tokyo and other major cities, but most people live in houses.
those apartments are for a single person, newly-married couple or low-income earners.
They always wish to escape from such a commie block.
coldstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #19
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

it rather surprises me that many Japanese AND Koreans live in independent houses, guess it's still not as densly populated as say HK or eastern coast of China.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #20
Ray
BANNED

I just want to take a moment to say that the shots of those exotic cars (particularly the white Ferrari F50) are the best part of this thread.
Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: