daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #701
NWDave83

Likes (Received): 188

I never even thought of it from a construction perspective, just the final design, that makes the alley vacation even more valuable, having to keep an alley there seems like it would add a ton of cost! Basicly making one project into two. Insane.
NWDave83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 17th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #702
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
An alley vacation is needed during construction regardless of what's built afterward. Afterward, the drive would be private property.
I'd appreciate clarification on this. If the final building intrudes into the alley right-of-way then yes a vacation would be needed but if the contractor just wants to use the right-of-way during construction I'd expect that normal street use fees would apply.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #703
Seasun

Likes (Received): 106

Related topic - a lot of people may not realize that the city actually takes alley property from developers as part of the requirements of many projects. I've typically seen this where a 16' existing alley gets 2 feet from each side added onto it to make it a much more useful alley. Below grade space can extend to the old property line and above grade floors can extend to the old property line but at ground level the space is "dedicated" to the city.

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/cams/cam2203.pdf
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #704
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasun View Post
I'd appreciate clarification on this. If the final building intrudes into the alley right-of-way then yes a vacation would be needed but if the contractor just wants to use the right-of-way during construction I'd expect that normal street use fees would apply.
I mean that for project that plans to excavate the whole block, they need an alley vacation even if they plan to build a new alley/driveway/passthrough later.

As for the alley width issue, that's infuriating....our new alleys are rediculously wide.