search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2017, 06:18 PM   #12401
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 421

As much as I love Austin, and see it as the coolest city in the deep south. As much as freeways of that nature are civil engineering marvels, Austin really really needs the expansion of the public-transit system, rather than more freeways. They will NEVER solve congestion in this rapidly growing metropole by simply unlocking pent-up demand. Austin is filling with millennials and highly-skilled professionals and they don't want more roads and sprawl. This sounds like a TDOT idea that is divorced from the needs of the City of Austin itself.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:32 PM   #12402
wgerman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
As much as I love Austin, and see it as the coolest city in the deep south. As much as freeways of that nature are civil engineering marvels, Austin really really needs the expansion of the public-transit system, rather than more freeways. They will NEVER solve congestion in this rapidly growing metropole by simply unlocking pent-up demand. Austin is filling with millennials and highly-skilled professionals and they don't want more roads and sprawl. This sounds like a TDOT idea that is divorced from the needs of the City of Austin itself.
Its that same thinking that got Austin in this mess now! Hate to break it to you but no one is taking Cap Metro (transit) even though they have shining new buses, not even millennials and to the contrary millennials still like driving too. Transit? Every transit plan put forth gets shot down because it does not go where people want to go and the cost per mile is ridiculous. Funny Austin does not have a much needed east west freeway artery or light rail route.......hmmm, trying to keep the undesirables (East side) out of the affluent west side?.......nah. Being the bicyclist utopia has failed miserably and events and corporations are telling the city leaders to fix the traffic problem now or else.

Having ridden the Metro in Washington DC many times, I can see the benefit of such a simple metro four direction system in Austin. North south route along I-35 and an east west along the lake.(heheheheh). No one, and I mean no one has put forth such an idea.

But hey, don't worry, just heard on the radio this morning a city councilwoman upset that the city is not doing enough to dissuade driving, so they are considering reducing the amount of parking downtown. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Last edited by wgerman; October 31st, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 02:45 AM   #12403
Nikkodemo
Espíritu de Cambio

Likes (Received): 84333

Raleigh, North Carolina

2017.10.20WingsofFreedom_ (101 of 677)
by NCDOTcommunications, en Flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!

Luki_SL, JMBasquiat, wkiehl101 liked this post
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #12404
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1833

So there is a sign for I-76 to Denver East of the Mississippi. Now that is something.
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:51 PM   #12405
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 227

I think that's a reference to Denver, PA not Denver, CO
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:48 AM   #12406
hammersklavier
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikom View Post
I think that's a reference to Denver, PA not Denver, CO
Well that jawn's in my backyard and I didn't even know it existed!

(Sidenote: IIRC the I-76/US-222 interchange is signed as Reading.)
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #12407
geogregor

Likes (Received): 17418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is a mind-boggling project. $ 8.1 billion!

The new plan, called 'Capital Express' is to add four express lanes to I-35 throughout the metro area, from Round Rock to south of Austin (33 miles). As there is no space for 12 lanes + frontage roads near Downtown Austin, they plan a triple-deck, below grade freeway, with the frontage roads cantilevered on top of eight main lanes, with four toll lanes even below that.
Sorry but this is just stupid.
I know we are in road thread but why won't they invest in public transport? For that amount of money they could develop decent light rail system.

I wonder what will they do with all those cars entering central Austin area. Oh wait, how about building even more 12+ lane roads
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #12408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18657

'that amount of money' is not generally available to spend as they please. It can only be raised by introducing tolls. Hence, it's not a question of investing that money on rail vs roads.

Quote:
I wonder what will they do with all those cars entering central Austin area.
That is not really an issue. I know it's often popularized as 'suburb to downtown' commuting but the vast majority of commuting is more dispersed, between suburbs or other locations in a metropolitan area. For example in Dallas, 80% of traffic on I-30 and I-35E at Downtown just pass by.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #12409
hammersklavier
Feral

TxDOT would be better off spending that $$$ completing the TX-45 beltway around the west side and the US-183 beltway around the east side IMO. Maybe make TX-360 a beltway as well. Or connecting TX-1 to I-35 at Round Rock and Buda...

LAYiddo, geogregor liked this post

Last edited by hammersklavier; November 13th, 2017 at 08:04 AM.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #12410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The southern portion of SH 45 is currently under construction.
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #12411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-5 Phoenix, Oregon

A new DDI has been constructed at Exit 24 of I-5 in Phoenix, Oregon.

I-5 Fern Valley Interchange _ 1 by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr

I-5 Fern Valley Interchange by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, wkiehl101 liked this post
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #12412
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4831

Looks like every week a new interchange adopts diverging diamond.
Old November 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #12413
wgerman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Looks like every week a new interchange adopts diverging diamond.
Question is do they work?
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #12414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Evidently they do. They reduce the number of conflict points, with MODOT recording a 60-63% reduction in fatal / injury crashes compared to a standard diamond interchange. They are also better designed to handle left turning movements from or to the freeway.

Another pro is the fact that existing bridges can be used, so they have the potential to be a cheap solution. However in practice many DDIs are built with completely new bridges. Some DOTs also use them for completely new interchanges.
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #12415
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3565

Really hope DDIs don't start to pop up in more urban areas. They are absolutely horrible for people on foot or bike, because the only walkway is crammed into the median instead of a more natural set on the outside.

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

hammersklavier, geogregor liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #12416
geogregor

Likes (Received): 17418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is not really an issue. I know it's often popularized as 'suburb to downtown' commuting but the vast majority of commuting is more dispersed, between suburbs or other locations in a metropolitan area. For example in Dallas, 80% of traffic on I-30 and I-35E at Downtown just pass by.
I know that. But if every day tens of thousands cars are not going to downtown then sending them through it just doesn't make sense. Build more beltways and ring roads.
Squeezing more through traffic (together with associated pollution and noise) right through downtown is just daft. Especially if you have to do super costly and complicated engineering to achieve that.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #12417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Austin has an alternative route: SH 130 (and combined with SH 45, a partial beltway). However while it seems that I-35 traffic is mostly long-distance with no origin or destination in the Austin metropolitan area, in reality the vast majority of I-35 traffic originates within the urban corridor and are less likely to take a bypass route that is significantly out of the way for trips < 20 miles.
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #12418
ChrisZwolle
Road user

round-about

A new roundabout at the Colonial Heights exit of I-95 in Virginia.

Old November 16th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #12419
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
Really hope DDIs don't start to pop up in more urban areas. They are absolutely horrible for people on foot or bike, because the only walkway is crammed into the median instead of a more natural set on the outside.
It would seem to be basically the same on a bicycle, you just follow the traffic?
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #12420
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Bicycles and pedestrians are usually guided through the median, which means they have to cross over four times. DDIs are better suited for rural or suburban locations with few or no cyclists and pedestrians, or if nearby alternate routes are available for them.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban