search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #1681
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Likes (Received): 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopfordian Dreamer View Post
That would have been an awesome little spot for a museum though. Still hopefully the Manchester Museum will be relocated to the soon-to-be-vacant Sackville Street building and we can have a huge museum and library learning space free and open to all!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I also think the Sackville Street Building will make a fine Manchester Museum, as the current museum is far to small for a city the size as Manchester.

Has there actually been talk of this, or is it just an idea floated here?
I don't think the Manchester Museum will be moving anywhere any time soon. They are currently embarking on a redevelopment plan of their own; the Courtyard Project involves a major new extension to the Museum, along with a new main entrance (I believe to be) on the Bridgeford Street side of the building right near the corner with Oxford Road, so a lot more obvious to passers by than the current arrangement. As I understand it, they are hoping to start work in mid-2018.

As far as the Sackville Building goes, who knows? It all seems to have gone quiet on that front. Is it even going to be redeveloped at all now? I've heard from a few sources that converting it for any use would be so complex, that the costs involved are likely to be astronomical; so much so, that no potential developer would consider paying anything close to its current value as it exists on the University's balance sheet.

@martinBury, Bylina, Maxants liked this post
Priscilla QOTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #1682
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla QOTD View Post
As far as the Sackville Building goes, who knows? It all seems to have gone quiet on that front. Is it even going to be redeveloped at all now? I've heard from a few sources that converting it for any use would be so complex, that the costs involved are likely to be astronomical; so much so, that no potential developer would consider paying anything close to its current value as it exists on the University's balance sheet.
I've always been of the opinion that without a substantial investment of public funds that the building will be completely impossible to convert to any other purpose. It's absolutely riddled with asbestos, and full of rooms with no conceivable use other than for a university (labs and lecture theatres make pretty poor hotel rooms). The danger is that it falls into a London Road Fire Station situation, where the public sector doesn't want it, but no private company will do anything with it. I also worry that something similar is likely to happen the Sheena Simon building, should the Manchester College relocate to a single central campus as is rumoured.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #1683
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1789

In terms of accessibility then if the mountain will not come to Muhammad let's have a metro route down Oxford Road. It feels a bit backwards having to get a tram into Manchester then get a bus down Oxford road for either the museum or the Whitworth and I'm sure it puts lots of people off visiting.

Doesn't sound promising Priscilla....

Justme, half_empty liked this post
PotreroHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #1684
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotreroHill View Post
In terms of accessibility then if the mountain will not come to Muhammad let's have a metro route down Oxford Road. It feels a bit backwards having to get a tram into Manchester then get a bus down Oxford road for either the museum or the Whitworth and I'm sure it puts lots of people off visiting.

Doesn't sound promising Priscilla....
Perhaps, but I think the profiles of both institutions are continuing to rise; yesterday morning, I heard that the Whitworth welcomed its one millionth visitor since it reopened following its redevelopment.

As the city continues to grow, and their visitor numbers increase, these locations will become less peripheral. Of course this will take time, but I don't think the answer is for either of them to just up sticks and find/build a new venue in the centre of town; especially in the case of the Whitworth, which relies so heavily on its relationship with the park right outside.

The Metro down Oxford Road argument has been done a thousand times, and it's not one that I want to get involved in, but you can brave that one yourself on another thread if you're up for the challenge!

On the subject of thread-appropriate discourse, I fear that I might be taking this one off track, so I'll shush now.

PotreroHill, GShutty, Maxants liked this post
Priscilla QOTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #1685
pasmore

Likes (Received): 183

I know this is total fantasy, and I don't expect it to happen, but it would be great if it was converted into a library that was specifically for Science, Technology and Business. It could be a bit like New York Public Library's SIBL (Science, Industry and Business Library) or like a northern equivalent, though much larger, of the City of London's Business Library. As part of it's intention would be to redress decades of economic imbalance, it could be part financed by the state. It could - as Central library currently does - host seminars and workshops on aspects of business, provide meeting spaces as well as valuable resources that would enable the technology and business sector to grow further in our city. These are the aforementioned libraries below:

https://www.nypl.org/about/locations/sibl

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/busi...s/default.aspx

Never gonna happen of course.

GShutty, Justme liked this post
pasmore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #1686
pasmore

Of course, the staff would have to be paid for by the government too as there's absolutely no budget for it.

Would add to our status as a city of libraries too: Central, Chetham's, John Rylands, Portico, the soon (well, a few years time) to open Poetry Library at the Man Met Humanities Building. Shame the Law Library is no longer in its original home.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #1687
PotreroHill

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Perhaps, but I think the profiles of both institutions are continuing to rise; yesterday morning, I heard that the Whitworth welcomed its one millionth visitor since it reopened following its redevelopment.

As the city continues to grow, and their visitor numbers increase, these locations will become less peripheral. Of course this will take time, but I don't think the answer is for either of them to just up sticks and find/build a new venue in the centre of town; especially in the case of the Whitworth, which relies so heavily on its relationship with the park right outside.

The Metro down Oxford Road argument has been done a thousand times, and it's not one that I want to get involved in, but you can brave that one yourself on another thread if you're up for the challenge!

On the subject of thread-appropriate discourse, I fear that I might be taking this one off track, so I'll shush now.
Not surprised the Whitworth is doing so well (has that figure exceded expectations btw?). I love the place and it's inconceivable it would ever move.
In fact MediaCity has proved that building on the periphery has actually started to increase the size of the city...I'd never advocate slotting places back into the central core rather let the city grow outwards to them.
I've seen many an Oxford Road metro/underground thread...but most of us would probably really desire it despite the barriers of cost/upheaval.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1688
pasmore

Not forgetting the Working Class library in Salford...
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #1689
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3419

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasmore View Post
I know this is total fantasy, and I don't expect it to happen, but it would be great if it was converted into a library that was specifically for Science, Technology and Business. It could be a bit like New York Public Library's SIBL (Science, Industry and Business Library) or like a northern equivalent, though much larger, of the City of London's Business Library. As part of it's intention would be to redress decades of economic imbalance, it could be part financed by the state. It could - as Central library currently does - host seminars and workshops on aspects of business, provide meeting spaces as well as valuable resources that would enable the technology and business sector to grow further in our city. These are the aforementioned libraries below:

https://www.nypl.org/about/locations/sibl

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/busi...s/default.aspx

Never gonna happen of course.
While that specific idea might not be likely, I do like your idea of reusing the building for an economic regeneration project. That could unlock government funds for a refurbishment and provide the building with a new purpose if hotel use is not feasible, rather than leaving it vacant.

While the North Campus SRF proposes a research and technology focus for the site, I suspect the Sackville Street building's existence as a science facility has come to an end. Perhaps a cultural, social or political research institute might be a possible use? As devolution gathers strength the north is going to need a policy solutions tailored for its needs, and in the absence of the political bio-sphere clustered around the capital (think tanks, corporate lobbyists, political parties etc.) it lacks the capacity to generate them. Establishing an 'LSE' of the north might go some way to addressing those weaknesses. This would make use of the lecture space and offices and so would require a cheaper refurb than a hotel would.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #1690
guys in the office
Los amigos

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
I've heard from a few sources that converting it for any use would be so complex, that the costs involved are likely to be astronomical; so much so, that no potential developer would consider paying anything close to its current value as it exists on the University's balance sheet.
......so therefore the Uni are going to have to take the hit on the balance sheet to move it on. The market value is what someone is prepared to pay for it - the book value is probably a fantasy. In other words it's the difference between what the Uni think it should be worth but minus the costs of converting it in to a productive use. This would be its true value.

It may in fact be worth nothing in a monetary sense. Organizations hate taking a balance sheet hit and the fear is a LRFS scenario during which time it deteriorates and is worth less than nothing because of the cost of remediation. Pity - externally it's one of Manchester's finest buildings.

PotreroHill, Stopfordian Dreamer liked this post
guys in the office no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #1691
Priscilla QOTD
Nasty piece of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by guys in the office View Post
......so therefore the Uni are going to have to take the hit on the balance sheet to move it on. The market value is what someone is prepared to pay for it - the book value is probably a fantasy. In other words it's the difference between what the Uni think it should be worth but minus the costs of converting it in to a productive use. This would be its true value.

It may in fact be worth nothing in a monetary sense. Organizations hate taking a balance sheet hit and the fear is a LRFS scenario during which time it deteriorates and is worth less than nothing because of the cost of remediation. Pity - externally it's one of Manchester's finest buildings.
Precisely. And Manchester, like many other Russell Group Universities, has recently been revaluing major assets in an attempt to offset huge pensions liabilities, so they will be especially reluctant to 'take a hit' to their balance sheet, and that makes the whole situation all the more concerning.
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #1692
Stopfordian Dreamer

Likes (Received): 6823

An LSE business library of the north would help negate a balance sheet hit though?

Or perhaps giving it to Manchester colleague so they can move into the building and form their single city campus out of the Shima simon building and the sackville building?

But yes I do know I'm being rather dreamy with this super big museum fantasy. Still a man can dream...
Stopfordian Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote