SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 19 Dutch Street | 231m | 758ft | 63 fl | Com

118K views 186 replies 73 participants last post by  Hudson11 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
From 48 stories to 63 now, this tower can't stop growing!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

Lightstone Group Unveils 48-Story Financial District Tower

Back in January, the Lightstone Group—best know around these parts for their massive Gowanus development—picked up a few pieces of property on Fulton Street in the Financial District. The $63 million, three-building purchase also came with air rights for three adjacent properties, and this week Lightstone unveiled their plans: knock it all down and build a new 48-story residential tower. Broker Luis Vazquez sent along the news, which was announced during a Community Board 1 meeting. The new building would have 463 units, 20 percent, or 93, of which would be affordable. There will be 20,000-square-feet of retail on the ground floor, and tenants of the soon-to-be-demolished buildings are not being given preference.

The current five- and six-story buildings sit at 112-120 Fulton Street and are home to a Radio Shack, Five Guys Burger, and a shoe store, among other things. Several businesses have already closed, and DNAinfo notes that demolition of the existing buildings could begin this summer. Permits have yet to be filed with the DOB. The plans need a zoning change, and CB1 gave Lightstone their support.

~Site sold:

Site of Planned FiDi Residential Tower Sells for $171M

The Lightstone Group has flipped a massive Financial District property at the corner of Fulton and Dutch streets to the California-based Carmel Partners for a cool $171 million, Crain's reports. Megaproject-developer Lightstone acquired the site at 112-118 Fulton Street for $63 million just two years ago, with initial plans to erect a 48-story, 463-apartment residential tower; massive, in true Lightstone fashion. The sale of the now-vacant lots—Lightstone got so far as to raze what stood at the site—includes air rights for neighboring buildings, which will allow Carmel Partners to move ahead with a planned 63-story tower, which will presumably be residential.
The last iteration of this tower had it at 59 floors and 680 ft. tall. This new proposal could take it much higher given the hot market for lux condos downtown.

See less See more
#143 ·
So many of these new buildings are all much the same - square high blocks with blue glazing; perhaps some oblong, some with aerials and some that are shiny reflective. All rather boring and nothing to write home about. New York is loosing its uniqueness in skyscraper design which it held along with Chicago for decades. The only master to capture the New York of yesteryear is Stern and his lovely new projects taking shape. I even find the new Hudson Yards just bloated high rises.

#145 ·
So many of these new buildings are all much the same - square high blocks with blue glazing; perhaps some oblong, some with aerials and some that are shiny reflective. All rather boring and nothing to write home about. New York is losing its uniqueness in skyscraper design which it held along with Chicago for decades. The only master to capture the New York of yesteryear is Stern and his lovely new projects taking shape. I even find the new Hudson Yards just bloated high rises.
We already live in 1800's and 1900's buildings. The city has to modernize itself with new infrastructure, otherwise, it will lag behind other cities.

#147 ·
I have no clue why some are so keen on leaving NYC in a style that it is for decades. Also, a majority of buildings all throughout the city are basically old buildings, pre war structures. It´s all nostalgia, IMO. It´s good that the 21st century is slowly leaving it´s fingerprint on the city. ( If the old Waldorf would have been landmarked, we wouldn´t have an ESB ) Some of todays new shiny towers will be the classics of tommorow and then even more futuristic buildings will overshadow them. At some point even towers like 432 Park Avenue and Nordstrom will be dwarfed by new megatowers. This is how it is on a narrow island like Manhattan. And i sincerly hope that this "respect" for 1 WTCs height will not stop developers to strive higher and taller.

#149 ·
If the old Waldorf would have been landmarked, we wouldn´t have an ESB.
Really ? - :nuts:

I hear that stupid nonsense way too many times...

What exactly stopped them to build it across 34 street or the other side of 5th avenue ?
(all those locations had buildings way less impressive that old WA)

Even today, nothing standing near ESB come close to the beauty of old WA.

Is not like you build it right there or you don't build it at all...

Old Waldorf Astoria was demolished because maintenance was too expensive to keep the high standards, and they already had a new flagship hotel on Park Avenue. Also by the 1920s, the hotel was becoming dated, and the elegant social life of New York had moved much farther north than 34th Street. In reality the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue "demolished" Waldorf Astoria on Fifth Avenue. (when they demolished the Old Waldorf Astoria,the building proposed to replace old WA was "only" 50 floors, the idea to go for the height record came later)

#154 ·
^^

Impressive photos, shittie building... Come on NY... you can do better than that! I know it’s pretty damn hard to develop a project here, and who would want to overcomplicate the process with a city council that evaluates "architectural form and image quality, positive/negative impact on skyline/landscape image, among other things"… But this sort of mediocre tall boxes should not be allowed to be built. There is not a minimum effort of proposing something interesting, beyond the thirst of squeezing the last drop of profit. They even saved money with the renderings.

#155 · (Edited)
I don't know where you live but it must be fantasy land. Boxes are the most efficient use of land and developers are in it for the money. If they went allowed then NYC would lose a lot of investment. There isn't a great correlation between great design and sales. NY has and always build boxy towers because they are the cheapest and least risky. If you were the developer I think you wouldn't chose a riskier option when a safer way exists, especially if you are not a developer who is very large and well funded. Most of the time the box will be a default option and you should just expect that.

#175 ·
Guys that like to do stunts like this should really get better shoes. I get the thrill of the adrenaline rush, by why risk it all by wearing such shitty shoes. :)

#174 ·
This angle just reminds me how sorely 2 WTC is needed to complete the Lower Manhattan Skyline. Also its crazy, when you look at the buildings in that shot, around half of them have only been built in the last 10 years (1, 4, 3 WTC, 118 Fulton, 30 Park Place, the Beekman, 115 Nassau Street and 375 Pearl was renovated).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.