daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #4401
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 1716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlestar99 View Post
Greeting all. A little bit of news i found while surfing the net is that according to Airline Routes from March 2018 Qatar services to South Africa become an all 777 operation which means our JHB tag will be served by a 777-300 (ER?) Not sure if this is due to Capacity or the 787 being utilized on thinner and newer routes. Anyway will be great having 2 x 777,s in Durban at the same time
Would be even better if it stopped going via joburg., So it can actually compete with Emirates

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #4402
shayshay123

Likes (Received): 57

Doha – Johannesburg eff 25MAR18 QR1359/1360 777-300ER replaces 787-8, 3 weekly (Overall 14 weekly 777-300ER)
Doha – Johannesburg – Durban eff 26MAR18 777-300ER replaces 787-8, 4 weekly

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-23dec17/
shayshay123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #4403
Dale1

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Would be even better if it stopped going via joburg., So it can actually compete with Emirates
I agree, would be better but I think they want to try increase the Durban market a bit more before they go non-stop so by using the 777-300 it will help do that. I personally feel that they will go non-stop to Durban by end of 2018.
Dale1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #4404
evanb

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
On the topic of possible Durban direct to London flights I see that British Airways has purchased all Monarchs slots into and out of Gatwick. Could that not possibly create an opportunity for BA to investigate the feasibility of a Durban to London Gatwick flight? When "slots" are purchased, are they specific route "slots" or are they buying additional capacity into and out of the airport for route expansion etc? Evanb maybe you can help with a bit of insight?

BA have started filling the Monarch slots from May. The first are all expanding capacity to existing Spanish and Portuguese beach destinations (Alicante, Faro, Funchal, Lanzarote, Malaga and Tenerife). They're wet leasing some A320s from Titan for this.

It very much seems to be replacing the Monarch business rather than anything innovative at this stage.

Battlestar99 liked this post
evanb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:06 AM   #4405
Battlestar99

Likes (Received): 5

A Qatar Amri flight A340-300 came into Kingshaka last night. Not sure if its still here?
Battlestar99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:17 AM   #4406
twr1

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
A Qatar Amri flight A340-300 came into Kingshaka last night. Not sure if its still here?
Its leaving at 1245

Air Bridge cargo inbound jut before midnight for Sapref, just trying to get clarification if its the 744 or 748

Also have BBJ3 aka B737-900 parked here
twr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM   #4407
sahilr

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr1 View Post
Its leaving at 1245

Air Bridge cargo inbound jut before midnight for Sapref, just trying to get clarification if its the 744 or 748

Also have BBJ3 aka B737-900 parked here
Any updates. Where is it coming from?
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:52 PM   #4408
sahilr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilr View Post
Any updates. Where is it coming from?
Ok its a 744 and its in from SIN
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:45 PM   #4409
sahilr

Photos courtesy Dube Tradeport
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:20 AM   #4410
Dale1

Likes (Received): 50

Is one of the Air Mauritius A319's parked in Durban while the Cyclone goes over Mauritius?

When i look at the history on FR24 it looks like it arrived in Durban early hours on Wednesday morning but never left.
Dale1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:22 AM   #4411
sahilr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1 View Post
Is one of the Air Mauritius A319's parked in Durban while the Cyclone goes over Mauritius?

When i look at the history on FR24 it looks like it arrived in Durban early hours on Wednesday morning but never left.
Yes 3B-NBF is still on the ground.

Dale1 liked this post
sahilr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #4412
Battlestar99

Likes (Received): 5

Emirates just confirmed an order 20 new A380,s and an option for a further 16. Potential good news points related and unrelated to Kingshaka

1: The possibility of a scheduled A380 Service to DBN during peak times
2: The A380 Lives for another day
Battlestar99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #4413
evanb

Quote:
Emirates just confirmed an order 20 new A380,s and an option for a further 16. Potential good news points related and unrelated to Kingshaka

1: The possibility of a scheduled A380 Service to DBN during peak times
2: The A380 Lives for another day
Indeed, not quite what Airbus wanted, but it certainly extends its life for a little while longer. I guess both Airbus and Emirates are hoping that the slightly extended life encourages some other airlines to place top-up orders. This in turn might encourage Emirates to order again.
Old January 19th, 2018, 08:13 AM   #4414
Switch

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Indeed, not quite what Airbus wanted, but it certainly extends its life for a little while longer. I guess both Airbus and Emirates are hoping that the slightly extended life encourages some other airlines to place top-up orders. This in turn might encourage Emirates to order again.
Unlikely that other airlines are going to order. Qantas and Singapore are both planning on dropping it.

Emirates have to keep the A380 program alive because they are the only ones who are going to using it. There was talk of Airbus trying to get Chinese airlines to buy it for short haul but that will never work.

I don't think we will ever see a A380 service to DUR. Maybe for some special trips during peak but not permanent. The new A350 and B777x will do away with the B747 and A380. I think we will see lots of B787-8 and A350-900 in the future
Switch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2018, 04:39 PM   #4415
evanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Unlikely that other airlines are going to order. Qantas and Singapore are both planning on dropping it.

Emirates have to keep the A380 program alive because they are the only ones who are going to using it. There was talk of Airbus trying to get Chinese airlines to buy it for short haul but that will never work.

I don't think we will ever see a A380 service to DUR. Maybe for some special trips during peak but not permanent. The new A350 and B777x will do away with the B747 and A380. I think we will see lots of B787-8 and A350-900 in the future
Qantas certainly won't order more but BA certainly will order more. Singapore are still taking delivery of new build A380s which are currently replacing existing A380s. They're certainly not dropping the aircraft. They have withdrawn two aircraft and will withdrawn another two, but these were the early build models which were rewired. They're heavier than they're supposed to be and were always planned to be replaced. In addition to that we could see top-up orders from Lufthansa, China and Japan.

I agree, that it's unlikely we'll see regular A380 service to Durban anytime soon. The only potential user would be Emirates and they'd much prefer a second daily flight rather than switching the B77W to A380, however, if they're unable to get the second daily flight due protectionism they might just be forced to go A380 at certain times of year.
Old January 19th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #4416
evanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Qantas certainly won't order more but BA certainly will order more. Singapore are still taking delivery of new build A380s which are currently replacing existing A380s. They're certainly not dropping the aircraft. They have withdrawn two aircraft and will withdrawn another two, but these were the early build models which were rewired. They're heavier than they're supposed to be and were always planned to be replaced. In addition to that we could see top-up orders from Lufthansa, China and Japan.

I agree, that it's unlikely we'll see regular A380 service to Durban anytime soon. The only potential user would be Emirates and they'd much prefer a second daily flight rather than switching the B77W to A380, however, if they're unable to get the second daily flight due protectionism they might just be forced to go A380 at certain times of year.
And just like that ... Bloomberg are running a story about Airbus talks with BA about more A380s.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-on-more-a380s