daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Today, 01:53 AM   #45301
PeterwD

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterwD View Post
I don't think any city can fix broken families. The success has been in helping individual broken kids - though Thread does some work with the rest of the family. I think the hope is that by "fixing" individual young people, the cycle can be broken on a case-by-case basis. There is no question in my mind that this kind of work is a great investment and needs to be brought to scale. By scale, I mean that a least a couple thousand young people could benefit from this kind of intensive attention. And if they benefit, WE benefit!
I was just looking the website of Roca, a program that the mayor is trying to bring to Baltimore. It is conceptually similar to Tread. Wouldn't it be interesting to have competition between high quality organizations as to who is going to help our kids?!
PeterwD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #45302
PeterwD

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...or-howard.html

Does anyone know if these are the same projects or two different ones? I believe they are on ththe same block.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...velopment.html
They are on opposite corners of the same block. There is another project, Howard Row, proposed for mid-block on the Howard Street side.
PeterwD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #45303
scando

Likes (Received): 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterwD View Post
Here is a link to the study: http://www.dgs.maryland.gov/Document...nal01-2018.pdf I see what bwhite sees. If the study is correct about the sites development potential, it makes more sense to do nothing at all and try to push development to the Madison Park North site. If the state moves its office workers, it would be nice for them to demolish any buildings that can't be reused and let tumble weeds (OK... trash) blow across the site until a better idea comes along.

The proposal for pedestrian bridges on Dolphin Street leads me to believe that the consultant is out to lunch. Dolphin Street just isn't that busy. The consultant was probably trying to emphasize the unwalkability of the site - that it is impossible to walk there from Bolton Hill. On the other hand, it probably does make sense to put a pedestrian bridge across MLK to make the site accessible from the hospital. But even there, I can't understand the location used in the plan.

Overall, I think the study succeeded in making the site look as unattractive to development as possible.
Dolphin Street? That's a dead zone, most of the day you can crawl across it. I can see a bridge across Howard over to the Light Rail and hospital, but it's worth noting that only a few years ago, the city finished tearing down bridges downtown. They were not well used, became bum bathrooms, started needing maintenance and didn't seem worth the work.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #45304
scando

Likes (Received): 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertplus View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...amount-of.html

Hogan: State Center study shows 'enormous amount of potential for redevelopment'
Didn't we hear that about 10 years ago? As I recall, momentum didn't develop because building owners further downtown didn't want another center of gravity and there wasn't enough demand.

BaltimoreFan liked this post
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary