daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1
virgule82

Likes (Received): 2

MOROCCO | High Speed Rail

Alstom just signed a contract to build a TGV line Tangier-Rabat-Casablanca. The contract is worth 2 billion euros and the first section Tangier-Kenitra should be ready in 2013. This will be the first high-speed line both in Africa and the Muslim world, I believe. The order includes 18 TGV Duplex trains.

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...00881320071022

Last edited by virgule82; October 23rd, 2007 at 04:53 AM.
virgule82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Ashok

Likes (Received): 1531

ooo. nice!
The presence of others, even many others, who are different from me does not require me to abandon what I hold dear. I can be French-speaking and Canadian. I can be Haida, Aboriginal and Canadian. I can be Métis, from Toronto, and Canadian. I can be Muslim, Christian, or Jewish, a Quebecker, and still Canadian. Our history is the story of citizens who struggle with the different layers of their identities, and somehow manage to reconcile their overlapping commitments. - Cheif Justice McLachlin
Ashok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Congratulations to Morocco. That 300 km line makes perfect sense. I guess it should make the whole trip from Tangiers to Casablanca in a bit more than an hour. That should boost the Moroccan economy.

Considering that Spain has a high speed rail line to Sevilla, we would just need to build to build a tunnel under Gibraltar and then we would could get trains getting from Madrid to Casablanca in 3 hours and a half !

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
BEN80

Likes (Received): 0

That's a good thing!

Is there any rail transports existing in Morocco?
BEN80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 493

Yes of course: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Morocco
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 21

Congrats to Morocco.

I wish Australia could do it as well
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #7
SmarterChild

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgule82 View Post
This will be the first high-speed line both in Africa and the Muslim world, I believe.
Plenty of high-speed lines under construction in Turkey, Iran and a few other Middle eastern countries.
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8
p-s-30@za2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The Shinkansen may enter it, too.
p-s-30@za2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #9
virgule82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
Plenty of high-speed lines under construction in Turkey, Iran and a few other Middle eastern countries.
You're right, I forgot about Turkey. The other lines are still at the planning stage, so I guess we'll see who can finish them first.
virgule82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:25 AM   #10
Joeman

Likes (Received): 9

Good for Morocco, hope i gets built soon.
Joeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Dothog
On the bog

Likes (Received): 17

Any thought of a link to Spain?
Dothog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:56 AM   #12
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 5

The Moroccan forum has a photo thread about railways in Morocco.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #13
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothog View Post
Yep. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3317149.stm

Quote:
Spain and Morocco say they have agreed to build a 39-kilometre rail tunnel beneath the Mediterranean Sea, to link Europe and Africa.

The Spanish Development Ministry said two adjacent tunnels will run beneath the Straits of Gibraltar to Morocco.

They are planned to run between Punta Palomas, 40 km west of Gibraltar and Punta Malabata near Tangiers.

The ministry said the route had been chosen because the Mediterranean at that point is just 300 metres deep.

The ministry said that a joint Spanish and Moroccan committee of officials had already agreed a preliminary three-year plan of works to start as early as next year, with an estimated initial cost of $30m.
Although this article is from 2003, I'm not sure how far it's actually progressed.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #14
zelterheist
BANNED

good for morocco. isn't alstom a french company?
zelterheist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #15
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
Yes, they buy Spanish trains http://www.caf.net/caste/productos/p...c=desc&pais=23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dothog View Post
Since 1980 explores the construction of a tunnel. But it is too expensive to justify the investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelterheist View Post
good for morocco. isn't alstom a french company?
Yes, don´t forget that Morocco was a French and Spanish colony
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #16
eomer
BRISAVOINE will return !

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriaca View Post
Yes, don´t forget that Morocco was a French and Spanish colony
Morocco wasn't a French Colony: it was a Spanish Colony and a French Protectorate. Morocco is still an Arab Colony.
http://lgv2030.free.fr www.altro.org
Objectifs: Clermont Ferrand <==> Paris: 2h00, Clermont Ferrand <==> Lyon: 1h00
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #17
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgule82 View Post
Alstom just signed a contract to build a TGV line Tangier-Rabat-Casablanca. The contract is worth 2 billion euros and the first section Tangier-Kenitra should be ready in 2013. This will be the first high-speed line both in Africa and the Muslim world, I believe. The order includes 18 TGV Duplex trains.

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...00881320071022

Cograts to Morroco, that's very good although its not the first for Africa as Johannesburg and Pretoria will be running the high speed train in 2010. Its already under construction.

www.gautrain.co.za
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #18
AR1182

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Cograts to Morroco, that's very good although its not the first for Africa as Johannesburg and Pretoria will be running the high speed train in 2010. Its already under construction.

www.gautrain.co.za
Gautrain is a huge rail project but it will have a maximum speed of "just" 160 Km/h, while high speed is considered to start at 250 Km/h. Such speeds wouldn't be too practical for Gautrain anyway.

Last edited by AR1182; November 9th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
AR1182 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6979

Morocco announces nine-billion-euro high-speed train

CASABLANCA, Morocco, Nov 27, 2007 (AFP) - Morocco's transport minister on Tuesday announced plans for a nine-billion-euro high-speed rail link between the Tangiers and Agadir for 2030, with French operators footing half the bill.

The line was part of a more ambitious plan for high-speed rail routes linking all the country's main cities -- and eventually a network that would spread across north Africa.

"The high-speed train project will require an investment of about 100 billion dirhams (9.1 billion euros, 13.5 billion dollars) of which 50 percent will be financed by French operators," said Transport Minister Karim Ghellab.

The European Union, the Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development, the World Bank and the African Development Bank would also contribute, he said, speaking from Casablanca.

In October, French President Nicolas Sarkozy signed a draft accord for the high-speed rail link between Tangiers and Casablanca, which lies on the route to Agadir, part of a broader package of deals.

About half the estimated construction cost of 2 billion euros would go to French group Alstom, makers of the high-speed TGV train, as well as French rail operator SNCF and network manager RFF.

On Tuesday, Morocco announced broader plans for a high-speed line between Casablanca on the Atlantic coast and Oujda to the west, on the other side of the country. That would cut the 12-hour journey down to five hours.

Other plans included a high-speed rail network across linking the countries of north Africa.

Last June, Morocco and Spain sought EU funding for a joint rail project linking Europe and Africa, passing under the Straits of Gibraltar.

Prime Minister Abbas El Fassi said Morocco, which has already invested 50 billion dirhams in major infrastructure projects between 2002 and 2007, was due to increase spending in this area.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #20
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 187

Its amazing how countries like Morroco see the light, while backward countries like the USA and Australia hold back.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alstom, tgv