daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #1
modestproposal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Balt/Wash Football Thread-Ravens/Redskins/Terps Discussion

A thread for all things pertaining to the Washington Redskins, the Baltimore Ravens and the Maryland Terrapins.

One topic I hope we can delve into thoroughly is the subject of the stupidity of Dallas Cowboys fans and later on, the Smelladelphia Iggles. Ravens fans can complain about Irsay and the Shitsburgh Stillers.

I say we get some sort of friendly wager going on this weekend Beltway Brawl. Anyone got any ideas? Damn I'd love to see these two teams meat in the Superbowl one day.

Last edited by modestproposal; September 13th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
modestproposal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 89

Ah, after the I-Colts won the Super Bowl and Irsay fils decided to put only one diamond on their ring (rather than two, incorporating the Baltimore Colts 1971 title), I decided to abandon animus and forget about Irsay pere. A bast**d to be sure, but we probably wouldn't have gotten Oriole Park without his departure.

Ravens-Skins Superbowl? I can see the Ravens going all the way this year. Don't know enough about the 'Skins other than that Danny-boy seems a loathesome meddler. But if he moves them back into the District (where they belong--with the Capitol looming in the background on aerial shots), all will be forgiven.
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #3
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

As I so often remind my Washington-fan friends, I don't root for out-of-state teams. Orioles, Ravens, Terps and Navy, baby!
The sooner the Landover Deadskkkins go back to DC, the better.

I work with a Redskin fan who tells me the latest buzz is that Snyder may try to sign Cowher out of retirement if Gibbs leaves after this season. While he might take whatever obscene amount Snyder offered up, I don't see that as a move for what is basically a fantasy-league team. Nobody can question Snyder's willingness to pay, but his approach is one-dimensional: throw money at it. Cowher's a scheme coach, he made stars out of players who performed well in his system. (not unlike Belichek)

Yeah, well, that's the most DC sports I can stomach talking for at least two days.

How 'bout that Erik Bedard, eh? Eat that, Mu$$ina!
MobtownManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #4
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 3

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

i've been waiting too long for this. let's get it on!!!!

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; September 6th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5
micrip

Likes (Received): 101

You'd better believe it, after the crappy baseball season we just endured!! Time to put the O's and Nats out of their misery for the year.
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
MobtownManiac
Charm City Ambassador

The worst thing about opening the season on MNF is that I have to wait until Monday night when the season actually starts tonight.

Oh well, go SAINTS!!! Beat the Indy Imposters!!!
MobtownManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #7
30 Floors Up

Likes (Received): 70

CNN Money - Tailgating Experts Say Baltimore is America's Best Football Tailgating City, Followed by Denver, Houston, San Diego and Cincinnati

MIDDLETOWN, R.I., Sept. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Baltimore, a city esteemed for its crab houses, Inner Harbor, and home of one of the NFL's most rugged defenses, now has another claim to fame: it's the best football tailgating city in the United States. Runners-up were Denver, Houston, San Diego and Cincinnati.

After analyzing a host of criteria, including stadium parking lots, overall tailgating environment, tailgating-fan enthusiasm and the sales of tailgating accessories like in-car live TV systems and mobile programming, an alliance of tailgating experts has released for the first time the America's Best Football Tailgating Cities Index, a ranking of the "tailgating- friendliness" of the 31 U.S. cities with an NFL team plus NFL-hopeful Los Angeles.

The Index is a joint effort of KVH Industries, the leading manufacturer of live mobile satellite TV systems for cars, RVs and boats; DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite TV service provider; and a group of tailgating experts who have personally visited and ranked every NFL stadium, including Joe Cahn, a nationally recognized authority on tailgating, and the creators of the "Ultimate Sports Road Trip."

Rounding out the top 10 were Miami (sixth), Tampa, Fla. (seventh), Kansas City, Mo. (eighth), Buffalo, N.Y. (ninth), and Philadelphia and Phoenix (tied for tenth). The complete 32-city ranking follows and is available at: www.hightechtailgating.com.

"We've found tailgating to be one of the most popular applications of our TracVision(R) in-car satellite TV systems, which allow fans to watch DIRECTV(R) sports and other programming live in their boats, planes, and passenger vehicles," explained Jim Dodez, vice president of marketing and strategic development at KVH Industries. "As part of our ongoing marketing research, we developed a ranking of the best tailgating cities and decided to share it with the public. Certainly, the die-hard tailgating fans who go out of their way to follow their team deserve a little recognition."

The Index ranks the "tailgating-friendliness" of the 31 U.S. cities with an NFL franchise, and Los Angeles. Cities were ranked on the basis of the overall tailgating environment in each city, as measured by an evaluation of stadium parking lot sizes, fees, accessibility, hours of operation and special facilities and programs for tailgaters; the sale of DIRECTV(R) NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) packages and TracVision mobile satellite TV systems for cars and RVs by KVH Industries in 2006-2007; and tailgating impressions accumulated through personal visits to NFL and college football stadiums by Joe Cahn of www.tailgating.com, the self-proclaimed "Commissioner of Tailgating," and Andrew Kulyk and Peter Farrell of "The Ultimate Sports Road Trip" (www.thesportsroadtrip.com).

Baltimore's top ranking is attributed to its high scores in all four categories while Tampa, Miami and Buffalo benefited from high tailgating expert ratings, and superior stadium or parking facilities boosted Denver, Houston and Cincinnati. Ongoing construction of the Meadowlands Xanadu and Patriots Place projects limited the scores of New York and Boston, respectively, while parking or tailgating restrictions in Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, and Seattle similarly affected their tailgating scores. In Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Rose Bowl were used for evaluation.

"As the recognized leader in sports programming - airing an average of more than 3,000 sporting events every year - DIRECTV has its finger on the pulse of sports fans," said Daren Benzi, vice president of sales development and strategy for DIRECTV, Inc. "When you combine this commitment to sports programming with new mobile technology that brings live game action right into the car's back seat and rear tailgate, the result is the perfect stadium TV experience for tailgating fans."

Joe Cahn, a professional tailgater who has spent the past 11 years visiting NFL and college football stadiums to assemble a comprehensive library of tailgating information for sports fans, was a natural choice to help KVH Industries and DIRECTV identify the best tailgating cities in the country. New York residents Andrew Kulyk and Peter Farrell likewise have spent more than nine years documenting their visits to every NFL and most college stadiums for their popular sports fan blog site.

I've used a KVH TracVision antenna on my motorcoach for years and love it, so when they approached me about using my research to help them identify the best tailgating cities, I was glad to help," explained Cahn. "As some of the most devoted and passionate fans in sports, the army of tailgaters that assemble each weekend contribute significantly to the unique personality and character of each city."

AMERICA'S BEST FOOTBALL TAILGATING CITIES INDEX

A Ranking of the Most "Tailgating-friendly" Cities in the U.S.
by KVH Industries, DIRECTV and Tailgating Experts

1. Baltimore
2. Denver
3. Houston
4. San Diego
5. Cincinnati
6. Miami
7. Tampa, Fla.
8. Kansas City, Mo.
9. Buffalo, N.Y.
10. Philadelphia (tied)
10. Phoenix (tied)
12. Washington, D.C.
13. Green Bay, Wisc.
14. Jacksonville, Fla.
15. Oakland
16. Indianapolis
17. Nashville, Tenn.
18. New York (tied)
18. Pittsburgh (tied)
18. Boston (tied)
21. San Francisco
22. Cleveland
23. Charlotte, N.C.
24. Los Angeles
25. Minneapolis
26. Dallas
27. Chicago
28. Atlanta
29. New Orleans, La.
30. St. Louis
31. Detroit
32. Seattle

Last edited by 30 Floors Up; September 10th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
30 Floors Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #8
cgunna
Sons of Blood and Thunder

Surprised to see Chicago so low on the list....

Not surprised to see us so high. Tailgating is one of the top five most relaxing things I can do during a winter afternoon....
cgunna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #9
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

How'd the ravens do yesterday?
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #10
modestproposal
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
How'd the ravens do yesterday?
I assume they rested up pretty well, you know, for the game tonight.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #11
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Surprised to see Chicago so low on the list....

Not surprised to see us so high. Tailgating is one of the top five most relaxing things I can do during a winter afternoon....
Yeah ... although the wind off Lake Michigan has gotta make tailgating a bit of challenge, even for hardened Chicagoans.

Haven't football tailgated at M&T, but the tailgating at the NCAA men's lacrosse championships last May was first rate. The highways shield the sun well, and the proximity of Federal Hill is a big plus.
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #12
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 371

We're No. 1: Baltimore's tops in tailgating
Baltimore Business Journal - 2:40 PM EDT Monday, September 10, 2007by Ryan SharrowStaff

When thousands of Baltimore Ravens fans flood the parking lots that surround M&T Bank Stadium prior to home games this season, they'll be in exclusive company.

Baltimore was recently named "America's Best Football Tailgating City" in a recent survey released by mobile satellite TV manufacturer KVH Industries Inc. (NASDAQ: KVHI) and satellite TV service provider DirecTV Group (NYSE: DTV).

The survey, in its first year, takes into account stadium parking lots, overall tailgating environment, enthusiasm from fans at tailgates and the sales of tailgate-oriented accessories.

The rankings were conducted by the self-proclaimed "Commissioner of Tailgating" Joe Cahn and Andrew Kulyk and Peter Farrell, who spent four years traveling to every major sports franchise city in the country and attending a home game of every team.

Denver ranked No. 2, and Houston was No. 3.

Washington Redskins fans were No. 12 on the index. Fans of the Seattle Seahawks bottomed out the list at No. 32. NFL franchise-hopeful Los Angeles was also included on the list.

The Ravens kick off their 2007 season tonight against the Cincinnati Bengals. They will open their home schedule at M&T Bank Stadium on Sept. 16 against the New York Jets.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #13
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

heap should've caught the ball. kyle threw it kinda' hard, but still, heap should've caught the ball. and earlier, we got robbed when the ref threw the flag for offensive pass interference against heap .
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #14
TheGlobalizer

It was garbage play-calling. Billick getting too cute again.

1st and goal at the 5? Easy. RUN, then RUN, then RUN, then RUN. Give one to the fullback if you have to, but RUN THE FRICKIN' BALL!
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Balmurfan

Likes (Received): 48

with the way that game was played you couldn't tell if you were watching the O's or the ravens! ohno:
Balmurfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #16
micrip

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
It was garbage play-calling. Billick getting too cute again.

1st and goal at the 5? Easy. RUN, then RUN, then RUN, then RUN. Give one to the fullback if you have to, but RUN THE FRICKIN' BALL!
Agreed. I was aghast when McNair dropped back to pass on that one. WTF??
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #17
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

oh well, on to week two, redskins-eagles and ravens-jets. Who will be 2 and 0 and who will be 0 and 2?...or will both end up 1 and 1??
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #18
NovaWolverine

I think both will be 1-1, but there's a slight chance the 'Skins could win if they run well and Campbell plays well. Defensively, if they stop the run, I think they'll have a good chance.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #19
modestproposal
BANNED

I'd like to expand this thread to Terps Football as well. The Terps have a decent shot of winning tonight against the overrated Mountaineers, especially in CP. Those hillbillies don't know the meaning of the word "secondary."
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #20
TheGlobalizer

Both 1-1. Ravens will stomp the Jets, Redskins will lose a squeaker to the Eagles. (Hoping for a Portis miracle, tho.)
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote