daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:51 AM   #1
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 12

MNL | Manila-Ninoy Aquino International Airport

Did anybody save the pictures we had?? They were awesome. Please post updates and pictures regarding the delayed opening of this world-class terminal.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Jemini

Likes (Received):

Grey X, I have ALL of them ,
but don't know how to post them?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:05 AM   #3
ryanr
Registered non-User

are they in your hard-drive or you have links to them?

if they are in your hard-drive, you have to find a host to hotlink them. One reasonable place is imagestation.com. After uploading the pictures, right click on them and go to properties. Copy the url (make sure it ends with .jpg or .gif, etc) and click on the IMG tab when you are posting on ssc. Paste the url on the IMG tab and then submit post!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM   #4
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

I have the ones from SOM. But the pictures posted by someone are gone... maybe Jemini, you can post them

This is the best airport our country never had - or is at least being deprived of.

Boybaha replaced the pics I posted with the larger versions down there...

Last edited by absent-minded; March 22nd, 2004 at 07:16 AM.
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM   #5
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 35

Larger versions of above pics.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #6
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

i agree with Lance/Absent-Minded, we are being deprived of a world-class airport.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:27 PM   #7
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

They should just open it already!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:44 PM   #8
Edmundtanso

Likes (Received): 2

i really hope that NAIA 3 would be operational very soon!

hope it would be open when i get there may 1 or atleast when i leave on may 25.

anyone want to share some photos of NAIA 2?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:47 AM   #9
ryanr
Registered non-User

Not much chance of that happening, Edmund. It is scheduled (again) to open on June or July of this year....Hopefully the government keeps its word this time.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:22 PM   #10
absent-minded

Quote:
Originally posted by boybaha

Larger versions of above pics.
notice the road under the raised "driveway" thingy... it's all stained brown and stuff. and the poles/posts supporting that raised flyover thingy hasn't been completely painted...
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:38 PM   #11
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

well those pics are quite dated, so by now they might have fixed those things, for the proposed opening in July.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:20 PM   #12
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

Do u guys have technical info about the terminal? Like its handling capacity and such? Thanks!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM   #13
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 35

Here's the info from SOM.com. I don't know where to find the technical stuff. It's really a shame it's tied up in government red tape and in the justice system. It's already built and the FIlipinos are not benefitting from it.

The SOM writeup says it's one of 2 new terminals planned. Where will the 2nd new terminal be? I haven't heard of this? Or are they referring to NAIA II? Already built (not by SOM) and already to capacity.

from SOM:

Philippine International Terminals Co., Inc. (PIATCO) commissioned SOM to design a new international passenger terminal (IPT3) at Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport. SOM is part of a team led by Pacific Consultants International (PCI) to design the project. The 1,890,000 sf (182,000 sm) terminal is the Philippines' first fully-privatized commercial airport development. It is one of two new terminals planned at NAIA that will increase the airport's capacity from six to ten million passengers a year.

The siting of the new Terminal building reinforces its importance as a symbolic gateway to the Philippines. It is immediately visible on arrival at the site by car or public transit. This location allows maximum flexibility to expand the Terminal to the south. It also provides substantial curbside space for meeters and greeters, with direct access to the Fiesta Duty Free Mall and the Terminal's Food Pavilion.

In concept, the new Terminal responds to the Philippine climate by sheltering the departure curbside area with an extensive canopy. This dramatic linear enclosure also covers the curbside areas of the Fiesta Duty Free Mall and the Hotel's courtyard-like drop-off area. It gives a sense of unity to the entire complex, providing shade and weather protection for passengers and visitors on a year-round basis.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:57 PM   #14
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

Hm...how does this project compare to the current terminals in terms of passenger capacity and so on?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:14 PM   #15
jasonb
employed in the CBD

The terminal def looks clean and modern.

However, I've never seen one so empty! lol
jasonb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #16
absent-minded

here's some info I got from the MIAA (Manila International Airport Authority) website...

Terminal 3

In 1990, the Manila International Airport Authority commissioned Aeroport de Paris to conduct the NAIA Master Plan Study which assessed Manila's need for new terminal due to th growing volume of international travel to and form the Philippines. In keeping with this study, International Passenger Terminal 3 is being built to accomodate 13 million passengers annually. When operational , comes December 2002 IPT shall accommodate all international traffic.

The NAIA Terminal 3, part of the 1990 MIAA Airport Master Plan, is undergoing construction at the 65-hectare property on the Villamor Airbase side near runway 13-31 and will have a capacity of 10 to 14 million passengers.

In 1997, the Government of th Republic of the Philippines awarded the build-operate-transfer contract of NAIA IPT 3 Project to the Philippine Air Terminals Co. Inc. PIATCO is a consortium of Philippine, German, Japanese and Singaporean companies name Philippine Airport Ground Services Terminal Inc., Peoples Air Cargo and Warehousing Co., Fraport AG Frankport Airport Service Worldwide, SB Airport Investment and the Nissho Iwai Corporation.

It is envisioned that the NAIA Terminal 3, undergoing construction under a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) scheme (under Republic Act 6957, amended by Republic Act No. 7718), an act authorizing the financing, construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructure projects by the private sector and for other purposes, will be operational by year 2002. The People's Air Cargo and Warehousing Co., Inc. (PAIRCARGO), which has formed a Php10 Billion company- the Philippine International Airport Terminal, Inc. (PIATCO), qualified for the BOT Concession of the NAIA Terminal 3, as per the requirements of the Department of Transportation and Communications.

NAIA IPT 3 is part of the Philippines moving forward into a new Millennium. It is committed to a high level of quality beffiting the new entryway to the Nation and the Nation's gateway to the rest of the world.

The main terminal building is designed to symbolize Philippine progress. NAIA IPT 3 will be a formidable structure, immediately visible upon entry form the main access road.

The NAIA IPT 3 will serve as a catalyst for the development of the site itself and adjacent areas such as establishments that will provide a broad range of services that will cater to international travelers and general public.

With its offer to the wide variety of attractions, NAIA and its surroundings will be transformed into a major destination within Metro Manila.

Facts at a glance

>> US$ 500 million facility
>> 13 million passenger annually
>> 1.1 kilometers building structure from end to end
>> 65-hectare site
>> 20,000-sqm shopping center
>> 140 check-in counters
>> 118 immigration counters
>> 40 customs counter
>> 9 moving walkways
>> 2,000-car covered car park
>> 1,200-car outdoor car park

Facilities

>> 4-storey shopping mall
>> Duty free shops
>> Conference facilities
>> Food Court
>> Ecumenical chapel

Infra-Support Facilities

>> NAIA Expressway
>> Surface Road Improvement
>> Fuel Farm
>> Terminal 2 and 3 surface connection
>> Monorail connection
>> 80 Megawalt Meralco Electric Power Substation

Percent Accomplishment

>> 92.00% as of May 2002
>> Soft opening on November 25, 2002
>> Full operation on November 26, 2002
-----------------------------------------------------
I think construction work was stopped when the gov't and Piatco's legal dispute began, so til now it's only 90+% done...

I read somewhere that last time this guy (the writer) passed by there, a lot of the construction was left alone and so he estimated some $2M would be needed to finish up the unfinished work that had been destroyed naturally...

Some of the unfinished parts probably deteriorated because of the weather or something. All I care is that they get the thing opened before the end of the year...!!
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #17
absent-minded

Quote:
Originally posted by renell

well those pics are quite dated, so by now they might have fixed those things, for the proposed opening in July.
but didn't they stop the construction when the thing between the gov't and Piatco started? how many percent of the the terminal is already complete?
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #18
absent-minded

Gov't to tap appraiser for NAIA terminal 3
Posted: 7:51 AM | Mar. 03, 2004

THE GOVERNMENT has agreed in principle to hire an independent appraiser to determine just compensation to be paid to Philippine International Air Terminals Co. Inc. (PIATCo) for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) passenger terminal 3.

Transport Secretary Leandro Mendoza said that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo remained keen on opening NAIA 3 during her current term which ends in June.

"I think it is easy to open NAIA 3 as long as we resolve the compensation issue," Mendoza said.

Mendoza said the government and PIATCo have "informally agreed" to get a third party assessor to determine not only how much should the consortium be reimbursed but also to assess whether NAIA 3 was built according to design and specifications.

The new airport terminal would need additional funds to make it operational and the government intends to deduct these incremental costs from the just compensation demanded by PIATCo.

Mendoza noted that the main problem with the PIATCo contract was that it was "overpriced" which was why the government was cautious in naming a price to the consortium.

The Supreme Court on Jan. 21 "denied with finality" an appeal by PIATCo to reverse the high tribunal's May 2003 ruling voiding the consortium's controversial contract for the NAIA 3, citing irregularities in the bidding and onerous provisions of the contract.

The SC ruling unequivocally placed on the government the duty to pay PIATCo before taking over the project.
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #19
The Pride

Likes (Received):

yeah open the airport already!
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #20
The Pride

Likes (Received):

what happpend to my number of posts.. why its only 129.. i have like 700+