daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old August 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #161
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 4777

Brazil

Prefeito entrega 641 casas do Residencial Luz da Esperança, neste sábado por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Prefeito entrega primeiros lotes por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Sorteio de casas do Lealdade e Amizade será feito dia 16/10 por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Sorteio de casas do Lealdade e Amizade será feito dia 16/10 por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Prefeito entrega 641 casas do Residencial Luz da Esperança, neste sábado por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Começa a entrega das 397 casas do módulo III do Residencial Luz da Esperança por Prefeitura de São José do Rio Preto, no Flickr

Urbel e Caixa Econômica Federal realizam reunião com famílias contempladas no Minha Casa, Minha Vida por Portal PBH, no Flickr

Minha Casa Minha Vida beneficia 2.508 famílias em São José do Rio Preto (SP) por ImprensaCAIXA, no Flickr

Last edited by xrtn2; August 6th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 7th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #162
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 4777

edit
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #163
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 5229

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeenan View Post
I'm surprised that the prices keep raising in London. It's absolutely crazy. I recently readed an interesting artcile in The Guardian. It seems that many youngster can't even think of buying (thank god for their common sense, that might lower the prices), but renting is also a kind of hell.

In London the cost of the live (not only real estate) is such high that I guess many londoners will end moving away. The availability of jobs, leisure offer and other strong points of the city doesn't pay for the endless hours of commuting, and expensiveness of all kind. I think the quality of live in London is not what it used to be, and I wonder if the constant arrival of inmigrants is somehow hiding the moving away of the regular london residents to other areas in England.
In recent times around 200,000 people per year have been moving to London from other parts of the UK while 250,000 per year have left London to live in other parts of the country. So London has been 'losing' around 50,000 people per year to other regions.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #164
Inconfidente
Olha o vão

Likes (Received): 2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
I think most people would prefer to stay in their favelas, rather than get shipped off to a dog house in the middle of nowhere
I guess it depends on each place. Here favelas are being partially demolished and on the exactly same site the public housing is done. One of them is just 3kms away from Downtown.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #165
Yuri S Andrade

Exactly. We've addressed this few pages back. In cities where there are favelas, social housing is usually built on top of them.

On the other hand, in cities like Londrina (posted stuff few pages back) and São José do Rio Preto (first post in this page, by xrtn), there aren't any favelas and poverty rates are very low. Social housing will necessarily be built on the outskirts.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #166
Yuri S Andrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
In recent times around 200,000 people per year have been moving to London from other parts of the UK while 250,000 per year have left London to live in other parts of the country. So London has been 'losing' around 50,000 people per year to other regions.
Jonesy, is it possible to calculate the exchanges between Southeast England and the rest of the UK?
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #167
Inconfidente
Olha o vão

Likes (Received): 2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post

Exactly. We've addressed this few pages back. In cities where there are favelas, social housing is usually built on top of them.

On the other hand, in cities like Londrina (posted stuff few pages back) and São José do Rio Preto (first post in this page, by xrtn), there aren't any favelas and poverty rates are very low. Social housing will necessarily be built on the outskirts.
TBH I wouldn't even expect this public housing in Londrina. Probably as a preventive way to avoid slums erupting?
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #168
Yuri S Andrade

Londrina, unlike other Brazilian metro areas, doesn't push its poor people to the neighbouring municipalities. The level of poverty is the same as in the other cities of the metro area like Cambé, Rolândia, Arapongas, Apucarana. In fact, the largest pockets of poverty in the metro area are in Londrina proper itself. There are no slums, but there are poverty.

Anyway, the largest project inside Minha Casa, Minha Vida in Brazil was built precisely in Londrina:

Quote:
Londrina

Vista Bela, opened in 2011, it's the largest social housing project financed by the federal government called Minha Casa, Minha Vida (my house, my life) in Brazil. 630,000 m² of area, counts with 2,712 units, to house 10,000 people. 1,500 workers were employed during the construction.

Summer and soybeans:

Winter and the wheat:

Flávio Conceição

More info
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #169
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 5229

Quote:
Jonesy, is it possible to calculate the exchanges between Southeast England and the rest of the UK?
There are figures for each region and each local area, if you take London+SE England+East England together then the net internal migration with the rest of the UK for 2012-13 was -12,600. That's a lot smaller than the net migration out of London itself which was -55,000 because a lot of the moves out of London are to neighbouring regions, but its still negative overall.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/migrat...tics-of-Movers
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #170
FCZZ
Ich bin ein Zwollenaar..!

Likes (Received): 9

The flat where i live...

Last edited by FCZZ; August 11th, 2014 at 05:13 AM. Reason: oops... big size...
FCZZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #171
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 4444

Regents Park, Toronto

Regents Park was one of Toronto's biggest public housing projects. The red brick low rises depicted in the first photo shows what it used to look like. It is being demolished and replaced with a mixed income development. Market rate condos and subsidized units are being built side by side. In most cases you can't tell which is which. It's all part of an effort to invest in the poor, give them a house to be proud of, and leave no child behind.

Regent Park by Marcanadian, on Flickr

The new Regents Park aquatic centre. I went down for a look last month and its a gorgeous pool. By integrating the poor fully into the city (rather than segregating them into ghettos) and investing in their future we hope to avoid some of the worst social ills that plague many cities to our south. The goal is to benefit from the social capital of all our citizens rather than some of them. Leaving 10%, 20%, 30% of people behind just because they're poor is an opportunity lost.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 14th, 2014 at 04:12 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #172
isaidso
the new republic

Regents Park, Toronto

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

VITORIA MAN, WingWing liked this post
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #173
FAAN
Rio 2016!

Likes (Received): 29737

This the project of the urbanization of Heliópolis (largest favela of São Paulo):

Final result:

Source: http://www.archdaily.com.br/br/62537...ian-arquitetos
- GTC: FAAN's GTC Thread

VITORIA MAN liked this post
FAAN está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #174
isaidso
the new republic

I like the splash of yellow. It really cheers things up.

Old August 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #175
Seoul_Korea
South Korea

Likes (Received): 1205

SOUTH KOREA

The people who live in these apartments are not poor, but a poorer "version" of the traditional Korean standars.

image hosted on flickr

불안한 미래까지 전부.
Buranhan miraekkaji jeonbu.
All anxious for the future.
Tutti ansioni per il futuro.

-소녀시대 / Girls' Generation-

Daehanminguk, Azrain98 liked this post
Seoul_Korea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #176
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6156

Hong Kong
By jone111 from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #177
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 808

A news clip on Punta Temement in Manila (in Tagalog). This is one of the largest public housing projects in The Metro along with Food Terminal Tenement in Taguig and Smoky Mountain Housing Project in Tondo.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote