search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Under Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
The KSS design 73 17.18%
The Populous design 352 82.82%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #39981
Bazza.
AC Engineer. COYS

Likes (Received): 2900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayersboy View Post
Fire up the old Alanis Morrisette song,seen plenty of squatters from east landan howling in protest at this.
A hostile blog from an action group is about all I read in to it.

https://haringeydefendcouncilhousing...s-new-stadium/
What a load of bollox. factually incorrect, misleading, Tripe.

Bricklayersboy, Kandi liked this post
Bazza. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #39982
Czyrko

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeks View Post
From what I've seen at their HQ, yes!
When I read the name Thorn, I immediately recalled that they have a local connection having had a manufacturing unit(s) in Edmonton (if memory serves).

On the lighting topic, has anyone else noticed that in the early Populous internal still renders of the stadium of the pitch in use, despite having 360 degree illumination, the LS Lowry players each cast four shadows at 90 degree angles to each other.

And as regards external lighting, could the opening of the "Be There" section on the ofiicial site (http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/be-there/) offer a clue of what to expect?

Deeks, eog liked this post
Czyrko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #39983
Pharazon

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Fire up the old Alanis Morrisette song,seen plenty of squatters from east landan howling in protest at this.
A hostile blog from an action group is about all I read in to it.

https://haringeydefendcouncilhousing...s-new-stadium/
indeed, since they couldn't even be arsed to source up to date images
Pharazon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #39984
THFC_Dan

Likes (Received): 2001

Page 2,000

We don't half talk some shiz on here. Just out of interest, does anyone know what the most popular ever thread was/is on SSC? This one has surely got to be up there?
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #39985
CanberraSpur

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFC_Dan View Post
Page 2,000
1,000 for some :p

fatspur liked this post
CanberraSpur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #39986
norskire
Incurably curious

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspurs View Post
If the article is correct then I believe it has a valid point. At a time where austerity measures are impacting the poor and vulnerable in society, which Haringey falls squarely into that category, then public finances should be focused on improving the quality of life for the less fortunate in society, not helping to fund a privately owned, wealthy multi million business (football club) such as Spurs.
I have supported Spurs for many years, and naturally want the best for the club, but when we have one of the wealthiest owners in the PL, why should we even contemplate taking this money when it could be used to help resolve far more pressing issues.
Apologies for the slightly off topic post.
It is not correct, and Haringey have already issued a pretty quick press statement in response to state that it is not correct too. This is exactly the kind of rubbish that is circulated on the "enough shit sticks" principle, knowing full well that once the rumour gains traction then some real damage against the perceived enemy can be achieved, whether it was based on truth or not.

At this moment in time Haringey are sitting on an outline planning permission granted to Northumberland Development for the residential build on the old White Hart Lane site, who as yet have not submitted any further concrete submissions (not even outline) regarding redevelopment of the surrounding area, despite what their article stated. If "Spurs asked for" 30 million for constructing the podium (and this is a big "if") then it is not in Haringey's power to grant it anyway, especially directly out of designated public housing funds which would in fact be illegal.

The long-term plan agreed between Northumberland Development and Haringey is to get the stadium in place, and then to evaluate the developers' involvement in Haringey's own wider development plan (the only exception being the improvement to two railway stations, which were covered by a separate transport development plan), at which point the developer either commits to social housing levels that Haringey insists on or they don't. If they do they will be treated favourably with regard to their other planned improvements focused mainly on stadium access. That is also when further CPOs come into play. If they don't then they will be forced to negotiate social housing commitments at every stage in order to proceed anyway, either directly as developers building such facilities or in terms of financial acquisitions funded by them and deferred to the council for that purpose.

The claims about "Spurs holding ransom properties" in the area are particularly egregious. The very same properties can also be interpreted as Spurs (ie. Northumberland Development) already committing to Haringey's long term wider plan. The more that can be purchased when available the less require to be potentially CPO'd in the future.

There has been quite a lot of bad feeling and suspicion drummed up in the area by certain agenda-driven groups using contentious compulsory purchases etc already approved and issued by Haringey to get the site this far along the road. Some of it may be rooted in actual private and personal experience, but most of it isn't. It is actually very rare indeed for a developer to agree to commit to such a huge extent in a borough's own wider development plan. Whether Northumberland turns out to be a con or not only time will tell. But to accuse them of "fleecing the poor" at this stage of things, as far as I can see, is simply one good way to encourage them to wash their hands of any long-term commitment at all.

These eejits should really think more before they act.
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #39987
loekf2

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham1961 View Post
The middle piece of the ring going in
On another note Was speaking to a brummie fella who works for the demolition crowd over the weekend , he seemed to think the south stand truss was coming down sometime this week and they only had a couple of weeks left on site .
Yep, I also heard "this tuesday" in a Youtube posting and 2 more weeks.

I see them again making piles of dirt with the diggers and this guy in the basket is doing something to the truss.

Is is possible they intend to handle the truss via a "controlled cut and drop" method or is that too risky ? If you for example cut the steel on the west side, and a little of the white carrying structure on the east side, it could just fell in a controlled way.

I don't see them using the two big cranes now.
loekf2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #39988
Bricklayersboy

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
If the article is correct then I believe it has a valid point. At a time where austerity measures are impacting the poor and vulnerable in society, which Haringey falls squarely into that category, then public finances should be focused on improving the quality of life for the less fortunate in society, not helping to fund a privately owned, wealthy multi million business (football club) such as Spurs.
I have supported Spurs for many years, and naturally want the best for the club, but when we have one of the wealthiest owners in the PL, why should we even contemplate taking this money when it could be used to help resolve far more pressing issues.
Apologies for the slightly off topic post.
I dont disagree with your sentiments at all,but the article is at best misleading and more anti "spurs" than "anti misuse of council funding" IMO or how it reads to me.

The audit says spurs are merely seeking the contribution,the blog says its done,much further down the article it admits none of this is ratified by Haringey,it says the podium is part of the stadium when its LBH public space,it says spurs own 14% of the land for housing redevelopment,but its actually 14% of two thirds of the 11 hectare site,the other 3rd is in LBH`s hands,which includes all of the love lane properties to be demolished (212 with only 145 social rented houses replacing) which its blaming on spurs redevelopment and language such as "ransom properties",well no facts offered just an action piece.Even though if what it claims is true I agree,though I dont agree its all laid at the door of THFC,what about the other 86% of land owners?

Maybe its the tone I dislike,because I agree THFC should not be using money from social housing funds as a subsidy,but the huge investment in the area should not be ignored as part of a greater good for the borough.
Financing every regeneration will have contentious areas of debate,no one gives away money for nothing in huge schemes.

Back on topic the PDF files do have some interesting graphics of the areas around WHL marked for regeneration.

https://haringeydefendcouncilhousing...il-2017-jw.pdf

Caspurs liked this post
Bricklayersboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #39989
norskire
Incurably curious

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekf2 View Post
Yep, I also heard "this tuesday" in a Youtube posting and 2 more weeks.

I see them again making piles of dirt with the diggers and this guy in the basket is doing something to the truss.

Is is possible they intend to handle the truss via a "controlled cut and drop" method or is that too risky ? If you for example cut the steel on the west side, and a little of the white carrying structure on the east side, it could just fell in a controlled way.

I don't see them using the two big cranes now.
One method is to use the vertical structures as ready-made uprights in a winch and pulley elevator system. The horizontal section can then be cut away and lowered in a controlled fashion to the floor area they have cleared below it. This wasn't an option at the Paxton Road end where the vertical descent was obstructed on one side.

The hard work in this method - both the strain and the speed of descent - is done almost exclusively by the winch mechanism. As long as the uprights' integrity is up to the job (and both have been doing that job for some decades now) then one needs a crane or similar only to ensure that the vertical trajectory is maintained on the way down.
norskire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #39990
Caspurs

Likes (Received): 696

Quote:
I dont disagree with your sentiments at all,but the article is at best misleading and more anti "spurs" than "anti misuse of council funding" IMO or how it reads to me.

The audit says spurs are merely seeking the contribution,the blog says its done,much further down the article it admits none of this is ratified by Haringey,it says the podium is part of the stadium when its LBH public space,it says spurs own 14% of the land for housing redevelopment,but its actually 14% of two thirds of the 11 hectare site,the other 3rd is in LBH`s hands,which includes all of the love lane properties to be demolished (212 with only 145 social rented houses replacing) which its blaming on spurs redevelopment and language such as "ransom properties",well no facts offered just an action piece.Even though if what it claims is true I agree,though I dont agree its all laid at the door of THFC,what about the other 86% of land owners?

Maybe its the tone I dislike,because I agree THFC should not be using money from social housing funds as a subsidy,but the huge investment in the area should not be ignored as part of a greater good for the borough.
Financing every regeneration will have contentious areas of debate,no one gives away money for nothing in huge schemes.

Back on topic the PDF files do have some interesting graphics of the areas around WHL marked for regeneration.

https://haringeydefendcouncilhousing...il-2017-jw.pdf
Cheers Bricklayersboy
Admittedly I was in a bit of a rush when I saw that link and didn't read it fully. As is probably clear I vehemently oppose public sector money being spent on private sector projects.
I'm still quietly fuming about the shenanigans that have gone on with the state aid stadium in Stratford, which everyone us is still paying for, and will do for quite a while, but that's another story.
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #39991
BathY

Likes (Received): 129

Re Counterweights and the lower tier, I don't think they will be needed as the remaining rakers will be single pieces so they will be able to get them in without the tier above being in the way.

That one to the side of the lorry entrance is a two piece raker, but most of the other ones were one piece ones.

Could be wrong, have been most of the time on here!
BathY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #39992
Wine Gum

Likes (Received): 1703

Has this been posted?

https://secure.haringey.gov.uk/news/...l-club-funding

Response to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club funding story
Saturday 15 July 2017
Haringey Council spokesperson said:

All decisions regarding investment in Tottenham or in relation to THFC are a matter of public record. In no way are we talking about £30m. In February 2012, our Cabinet approved a £27m investment package to fund a variety of projects in North Tottenham. The funding comprised of £18m of funding from the Greater London Authority (GLA) and £9m funding from the council. This was the joint funding package agreed for Tottenham following the 2011 riots.
From this funding, the council entered into a grant agreement with THFC earlier this year to contribute £7.5m for the public realm and heritage improvement works the club will be undertaking as part of its scheme. Again, this is a matter of public record. No other funding commitments have been made by the council or the GLA.
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #39993
Caspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathY View Post
Re Counterweights and the lower tier, I don't think they will be needed as the remaining rakers will be single pieces so they will be able to get them in without the tier above being in the way.

That one to the side of the lorry entrance is a two piece raker, but most of the other ones were one piece ones.

Could be wrong, have been most of the time on here!
I don't think installing the rakers poses much of a issue, it's the terrace sections underneath the small tier that present more of a challenge. After watching other sections being fitted, it's clear they're not small and weigh a considerable amount. When fitting the crane had to make small adjustments so the section could be seated properly, this is why I think (in my world) they will use a crane with an overhang beam to install them.

Caspurs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #39994
Walves1984

Likes (Received): 6

The 14 % of land mentioned in the article, is that the off site cement processing and storage site?
Walves1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #39995
loekf2

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by norskire View Post
One method is to use the vertical structures as ready-made uprights in a winch and pulley elevator system. The horizontal section can then be cut away and lowered in a controlled fashion to the floor area they have cleared below it. This wasn't an option at the Paxton Road end where the vertical descent was obstructed on one side.

The hard work in this method - both the strain and the speed of descent - is done almost exclusively by the winch mechanism. As long as the uprights' integrity is up to the job (and both have been doing that job for some decades now) then one needs a crane or similar only to ensure that the vertical trajectory is maintained on the way down.
Thanks. I think you're on to something here, because it looks like they are preparing something on both sides of the truss. TL4 is very blurry when zoomed in, but it looks like they did something to the truss about 1-2 meters from the right side (west side). I also see some cuts there.

Also explains why they worked so hard removing the front side of the stand as much as possible.
loekf2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #39996
MAN CAVE

Likes (Received): 764

How about lift it up with one of the dozers on its bucket.. should easily carry it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #39997
Caspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by norskire View Post

Sorry Norskire I have to ask. How will they lower the 350 tonne truss with winches when half the truss will initially be above the winching point, or have I misunderstood?
Caspurs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #39998
Bricklayersboy

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walves1984 View Post
The 14 % of land mentioned in the article, is that the off site cement processing and storage site?
certainly part of it,or most I guess.It was a logistical purchase,nothing to do with speculation on increasing land values,same as with the cranes,no one bought the cranes because metal values would increase.
The 14 % is of around 7½ hectares of the site if correct figures were quoted,its hardly we own the west side of the high road and are holding up or ransoming regeneration.
Bricklayersboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #39999
BathY

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
I don't think installing the rakers poses much of a issue, it's the terrace sections underneath the small tier that present more of a challenge. After watching other sections being fitted, it's clear they're not small and weigh a considerable amount. When fitting the crane had to make small adjustments so the section could be seated properly, this is why I think (in my world) they will use a crane with an overhang beam to install them.

Ah, I get you.
BathY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #40000
tottenham1961

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:

It seems they've removed those few rows of terracing now that would of been an obstruction
tottenham1961 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, football, populous, soccer, tottenham