search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #1
as cities burn

Likes (Received): 0

Sunderland and Durham Area PHOTOGRAPHY - Current photos, mainly taken by Forum Members

my first photo post on ssc - no idea if it'll work. took my camera (v. basic) and tripod with me to durham tonight 'cos i'm so cool. got an okay shot of the cathedral by the river. if it works then expect more to follow sometime. let me know what you think of the photo if you's can see it. cheers

[IMG]http://************/f3aqfr.jpg[/IMG]
as cities burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #2
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 504

Sunderland and Durham Area PHOTOGRAPHY - Current photos, mainly taken by Forum Members

i like it. i've got a few night pics coming...sometime. if you get the right rainy weather, when it's between falling from the sky, it's an awesome sight from the train station looking at the cathedral.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM   #3
LSyd
Megalomaniac

eh, i went ahead and edited and uploaded that angle. this was right after i got back from a wet evening in leeds in july; about 5 minutes later it started pouring again.

Durham at night's really atmospheric, so post the rest.

-

- gleegieboy
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #4
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 588

Talk about moody, As Cities Burn.

Nice one!

Would love to see both of your shots - not really that well aquainted with Durham.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #5
as cities burn

okay - more of durham from various times i've been over visiting people.

off a bridge at 6.30am this jan (was up v.early).
[IMG]http://************/f3tij8.jpg[/IMG]

off same bridge at 4.30am in june (was out v. late)
[IMG]http://************/f3atud.jpg[/IMG]

poor quality - but captures night mood by riverside in centre. this bridge is called elvet bridge
[IMG]http://************/f3tirr.jpg[/IMG]

the view from a mate's window - not bad eh
[IMG]http://************/f3tiyc.jpg[/IMG]

the viaduct again
[IMG]http://************/f3tj4g.jpg[/IMG]

finally - the city's crowning glory
[IMG]http://************/f3tjf6.jpg[/IMG]

durham's magnificent - especially moody at night time. bit boring if you live there but truely beautiful all year round
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #6
LSyd
Megalomaniac

very nice. brings back memories. when you were out late, were you getting back from Klute?

-

- gleegieboy
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #7
as cities burn

ah klute that wonderful and quality establishment with reeking stilton cheese pumping out the speakers, foundtains of waz running down the steps and sweating walls! not quite my cup of tea - have been twice and never again i hope! was at a ball - it's what the posh kids at durham do.

what job do you do lsyd? you seem to be over here all the time - you must be v. well travelled and know more of the uk than i do. at 20 i'm applying for a passport now - i'm looking forward to getting out of the uk as and when i can afford it! will post up some newcastle pics sometime soon
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #8
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by as cities burn
ah klute that wonderful and quality establishment with reeking stilton cheese pumping out the speakers, foundtains of waz running down the steps and sweating walls! not quite my cup of tea - have been twice and never again i hope! was at a ball - it's what the posh kids at durham do.

what job do you do lsyd? you seem to be over here all the time - you must be v. well travelled and know more of the uk than i do. at 20 i'm applying for a passport now - i'm looking forward to getting out of the uk as and when i can afford it! will post up some newcastle pics sometime soon
heh, Klute, "world's worst nightclub." i've only been twice, too.

i studied at the uni the past two summers, kind of a work-vacation. Durham's a pretty convenient spot to explore the island from, pretty much everywhere's within a day's train ride. sadly i graduate in may, but i'm considering finding a language immersion program so i can get back to europe.

the major places in the UK i've never been to are Liverpool, Wales, Bath and Aberdeen, plus i've only seen Sheffield and York from the train, so i need to get back sometime and finish my checklist.

new Newcastle pics? cool.

-

- gleegieboy
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #9
as cities burn

ah right - nice one and good luck with the graduation. one of my mates worked with people who come to durham to study over the summer - called Suzgo and from Malawi. seems like quite a popular thing to do. will try get some sheffield, bath and aberdeen photos up too - have been there on various trips.
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Preston_guy

Great pics. The cathedral's beautiful
Preston_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 51

Yay Home!!!! I've been in Durham just over 12mths and it is the most amazing and comfortable place to live. To me it beauty is in the fact that so few people who live and work here permanently realise its beauty and charm. It isn't over touristy, tho I think the cathedral and Bailey are one of the finest sites in Britain. The people here are generally incredibly friendly and there are some magical places to be found and some amazing views. Bill Bryson loves it enough to be our chancellor and that can't be a bad sign!

I'll try and some of my own pics soon, but until then I'd love to see any other pics that people have of the city.

btw, i'm off to Klute tonight for my mates birthday, he insists that because its his birthday he needs to use his birthday rights to force us to do something we don't want to
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #12
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

I love this pic, looks like something you'd see on coronation street

[IMG]http://************/f3tiyc.jpg[/IMG]
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:54 PM   #13
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Durham

Quote:
‘If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful’.
- Bill Bryson

if you've seen all of my British threads, they're possible because i studied here over the summer.

IF PICS AREN'T SHOWING, HIT REFRESH

map from 1610 ]map from 1610[/URL]

skyline

cathedral on my way to class

view from my dorm, sadly outside the city centre

heh...kinda makes me homesick

"oooh, tha's a nice fookin' tripod, da ya wan' ta take me pitchar?"

Durham fair

it took me 3:56 to go up the cathedral

-

- gleegieboy

Last edited by LSyd; December 21st, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM   #14
Prestonian

Cool, i've been looking fwd to your durham pics ever since you mentioned you had some. I've just got back to Preston from durham and i'm really pining for it. It is such an amzingly cosy and comfortable place to live and spend time, i love it to bits. It is also incredibly beautiful (at least parts of it are) and the people are generally lovely (I even think their chavs are more mellow than i'd find in Preston).

I notice you have a picture of the cathedral from Grey. Did you stay in Grey during your studies as thats my college, alternatively you're taking a shortcut from Collingwood. I used to love that view, seeing it every day on my way to lecture always made me smile. You've also got a picture of my department in there two. Three lovely georgian townhouses knocked into one department of economics and finance. Its so cool and quirky, tho alas I think they're going to sell them off for reconversion of flats in an agreement with the council who want the area to become more residential again. Won't happen before i leave though

I'm going to do a bit of a durham developments thread when I find the time. I'd love to pinch some of these pics for it if I may? If you could get all the pics working that would be cool too as i'd love to see them all.

The view from the top of the cathedral is something else! I love going up there on a clear day, you can see literally for miles.

Nice quote to start the thread with too, I adopted it for my sig a few days ago lol!

Thanks again, thats a canny bunch of pics!
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:47 PM   #15
LSyd
Megalomaniac

thanks. you can definitely use the pics for your development thread...i can dig up some more of the various construction i saw.

yeah, Durham is great. and that pic was taken on a shortcut from Collingwood.

hopefully i can get the rest of the pics showing in a few hours.

-

- gleegieboy
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM   #16
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

I shall never forget my first view of Durham in all it's glory in the late 1950's. It was from the train to Newcastle passing over the viaduct. Good pics.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM   #17
LSyd
Megalomaniac

^ that must've been something.

thanks.

and now all the pics are finally showing

-

- gleegieboy
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #18
Bikkel
sadfox

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks for sharing. Durham is a gorgeous city!
Bikkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM   #19
Prestonian

Brill, thanks for sorting the rest of the pics, they're all great, will definately use some of them when I get round to making the thread, cheers! The ones from the top of the cathedral are wonderful, i'd like to see what the cathedral looks like from Penshaw monument having seen how th emonument looks from the cathedral
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM   #20
Prestonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff189d
I shall never forget my first view of Durham in all it's glory in the late 1950's. It was from the train to Newcastle passing over the viaduct. Good pics.
One of the best views of durham is from the train, possibly the best view from a train window anywhere.