SkyscraperCity Forum banner

#SCA | Proposed | Iconic Scarborough [~150m & 50m | Resi]

155K views 839 replies 115 participants last post by  jonwil 
#1 · (Edited)
Development Application - Lot 601 (No. 10) Scarborough Beach Road, Scarborough - Proposed 43 Storey Mixed Use Development

We invite comment on a development application for a proposed 43 storey mixed use development at Lot 601 (No. 10) Scarborough Beach Road, Lot 43 (No. 206) West Coast Highway and Lot 86 (No. 45) Filburn Street, Scarborough, (the Contacio site).

The proposal includes 320 residential apartments, a 165 room hotel, function centre and associated amenities, retail, dining and entertainment uses and public car parking.

The application seeks approval for a number of variations to the applicable planning framework including:

• 43 storeys, up to 158.6m, in lieu of the permitted height of 12 storeys, up to 43m;
  • boundary setback variations on levels 3 to 12;
  • vehicle access from West Coast Highway, in addition to a secondary street (Filburn Street);
  • 14.7m high parapet wall on the northern boundary, in lieu of the permitted height of 11.5m;
  • 97% site coverage in lieu of the maximum permitted 80% site coverage; and
  • non-compliance with the MRA’s Development Policy 9 ‘Affordable and Diverse Housing’.

http://cdn.mra.wa.gov.au/production...d-43-storey-mixed-use-development-scarborough

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Dilaz!

#4 · (Edited)
That's not Dilaz... Iirc Dilaz is on holidays... :lol:

Edit: oh you are saying hi dilaz as you think vandermast jumped the gun and created the thread without dilaz's permission!?.... btw... I reckon as long as the following exist, then who cares if vanderman created the thread...
:
- DA has been lodged, the site is no longer just a vision, the details provided in the thread heading title and description are in line with the rest of the other threads....

#9 ·
The good chaps down at Hillam have delivered an exceptional outcome on this lot. One of my favourite features is the pair of vertical lines from the SW apex that forms the boundary of the bicoloured balconies all the way down to the podium, which appears to be unique in the Perth market right now.

I know it's asking too much of the local market right now, but even just a small 10 degree overall twisting of the floor plates from halfway up tower one that follows podium curves would have knocked my socks off. Perhaps it's something to look forward to in other designs as the perth market slowly improves.

G
#10 ·
I smell that NIMBY uprising on the horizon with this one. I look at this and due to experience (eg recent South Perth BS), I fear for this development from the offset.

If this actually does get built it will be like I've been transported into an alternative universe. My hopes and prayers for this one.

#11 · (Edited)
#SCARB | DA | Contacio Site [158m, 112m | Mixed]

The state government wants in growth. The local council needs rates. The MRA needs to provide planning outcomes. A vocal minority of time rich locals sure hate height, but I think if enough of us provide positive remarks for David Hillam's work online through the MRA contact form, we might finally be able to get a project built and pave the way for a better Perth within the current urban boundary rather than destroying more fauna and bush on the outskirts of our city

Fill out the online form here:
http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/public-com...ough-proposed-43-storey-mixed-use-development

#12 ·
My 2c:

It is with deep satisfaction to discover that the Perth property development and investment market has finally matured to be able to facilitate such a great architectural outcome for Scarborough.

For too long, Perth has become a horizontal city. The populace have spread like a mushroom in a manner second to only Los Angeles. The horizontal growth is simply not sustainable. The infrastructure costs of freeways to the outskirts too high. The pollution is too high - Perth has one of the greatest per capita carbon footprint in the world. I have grown tired of hearing from hour long commutes from young people forced to live in the only affordable housing available on the outskirts. The voices of time rich vocal minority of people accustomed to the horizontal nature of our city drowns out those who want more depth in the property market than currently available. We need dense, liveable, walkable neighbourhoods rather that a preponderance of 4x2 houses where people need to drive everywhere.

I hope that the MRA does not pander to the interests of the time-rich vocal minority and approve this exceptional plan in its current form.

#14 ·
Also as a local, i will say out loud that this proposal epitomises what the Scarborough Redevelopment is all about! For a developer to come out and want to invest this much money in the area and not require the usual presale commitment from buyers is like a gift, and one that should not be squandered. There are so many public benefits to this proposal. Notwithstanding the three levels of commercial shop and restaurant opportunities, the top floor viewing platform, generous underground parking spaces, and the pedestrian bridge over Scarborough Beach Road should make this a no-brainer. But of course, this is Perth...the NIMBY capital of the world, so we have learnt to never take anything for granted. However i am confident this one will fly. The developer has canvassed loudly and proudly in the area, held numerous public consultation events, made changes based on feedback, and really tried hard to win over public opinion. If the MRA and local and State government bodies do not allow this, they may as well have left Scarborough alone in the first place. This will be a landmark and a tourist attraction, and more importantly, will provide some degree of critical mass in terms of local residential population that the area desperately needs to support the new (and imminent) businesses and ventures in the area. It will also encourage further investment, and increase confidence that the precinct is going to succeed and become a year-round destination and not just a summertime success story. I couldn't be happier to see this great structure built. Fingers crossed!

#15 ·
#18 ·
Needs to happen at some point in time.

I love EQ and all that, but IMO this is where Perth tourism is at, the coast.

More infrastructure on the coast (hotel, apartments, cafes) make a nice video of it, put it around the world and watch the tourists come.

#25 ·
wA Tourism has been blitzing Sydney TV for the past couple of weeks with short ads just featuring Cottesloe. Sometimes they have been coming every half hour.
Call me uninformed but why would Cottesloe ads be effective in Sydney? The NSW coast is just as nice with so many additional options to boot. What does Cott offer that someone can't get in Sydney? Melbourne I get, the beaches are overall pretty shit here unless you venture out of the city.

#22 ·
The public consultation period ends 5pm today

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/public-com...ough-proposed-43-storey-mixed-use-development

If you're interested in urban densification, reducing forest clearing on the outskirts of our city, and improving the social liveability of our suburbs by increasing the level of activity, I'd encourage all readers to fill out the online form for the purposes of balancing out the inevitable nimby detractors of the project.

#26 ·
To be fair, there's not much you can sell about Perth that couldn't be met with 'we have the same/better in Sydney'. Perth beaches are p different from Sydney beaches mostly, but that's a function of our linear coastline v the zillions of bays in Sydney Harbour. Neither is 'better' per se, and it's hard to make the argument in a 30s TV ad. Sunsets, maybe?

Marketing to NSW really needs to focus on the rest of the state, food & wine, adventures, dinosaur footprints, etc etc iyam.

Melbourne is easy pickings though, because Melbourne is shit.

#30 ·
It is when you can't watch the sun set over the ocean in Sydney and want to stay within your own culture, versus everything that goes with an overseas trip.

Coupled with scenes of our beaches. Makes Perth an easy choice.

Advertising is always done in short, sharp sound bites. Why not market our ocean sunsets? It's a luxury we take for granted.

#33 ·
You can get sunset over the ocean from Moreton Island or Fraiser Island.

Remember, it is closer and cheaper to fly to Fiji from Brisbane & Sydney than it is to fly to Perth. And as a holiday experience there is far more on offer / you can watch that sunset on the beach with a cocktail in your hand.

I don't want to always sound critical of Perth, but if they seriously want East Coasters to come here and spend their tourist dollar, then we need to up our game. Chinese will certainly be attracted to marketing of clear blue skies and clean oceans in a "city" setting, but what is the drawcard for someone from Sydney or Brisbane or Melbourne to come vs Qld / NZ / Fiji / Bali / Thailand (the last two of which are further but certainly cheaper once they arrive and have well developed offerings for tourists)? Margaret River is certainly a drawcard, but Perth as a city hasn't got much to offer them for more than a day or two (Visit freo, have a 1/2 day at the beach, visit Kings Park, couple of hours in CBD / Northbridge....)

#31 ·
The FB page for this is polarised by NIMBY's with 1 star ratings VS solid 5 star ratings. :lol:

I just saw it for the first time now...

5 stars: 23 votes
4 stars: 1 vote
3,2 stars: 0 votes
1 stars: 6 votes

Comments for 1 star are a laugh.

Like for starters what is this person on about?!?:
"absolute rubbish, get out of scarborough, and go play on the freeway"

At least people like Andrew Toulalan* and Griassti Manfred have written some sensible comments. :)

#32 ·
#SCA | Proposed | Iconic Scarborough [159m, 107m | Mixed]

The votes are polarised, but not in equal amounts. It's a veritable landslide in favour of the development 4 to 1. Let's hope the MRA DA responses also favour the development in similar proportions and 3 oceans get the all clear to go ahead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.