SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 1,405 Posts
I actually think that was a fantastic idea. What city wouldn't want a subway system!
He said we have the money, I'm pretty sure WA is a bit poor now...
Considering how much we are spreading a part different projects because we don;t have enough in the budget this financial year...right? :|

WA is rolling in the dough. Why do you think CB is open to a completely new stadium?

The narrow gauge single level Perth train system (with no freight competition) actually lends itself to forming the basis for a Metro anyway. No need to build a completely separate system, just need to add lines/frequencies to the existing network.

WA is rolling in the dough. Why do you think CB is open to a completely new stadium?

The narrow gauge single level Perth train system (with no freight competition) actually lends itself to forming the basis for a Metro anyway. No need to build a completely separate system, just need to add lines/frequencies to the existing network.
Yeah a metro would be great but Perth seems to do reasonably well out of its existing surface lines and there is plenty of capacity to add addition lines, tracks and services (aside from on the Armadale/Thornlie line).

The ABS is pushing eCensus for this year's Census. Streamlines the collection process, means collectors can concentrate on getting forms from housholds less reluctant/lazy/forgetful/busy to comply, the processing is quicker and the results can be released earlier. Really important for an accurate count so WA doesn't miss out on Federal funding, GST share etc particularly as our population is growing quite rapidly.

Yes they did have eCensus last Census but didn't push it as the ABS weren't sure how the system would cope. However for 2011 the system has been greatly improved and should cope with whatever the take up of eCensus is.

Yeah a metro would be great but Perth seems to do reasonably well out of its existing surface lines and there is plenty of capacity to add addition lines, tracks and services (aside from on the Armadale/Thornlie line).
A subway system would be good...but I think improving cross-suburban links and providing decent rapid transit links to the north-east corridor in particular is the first priority.

This is just a question, not having a go at anyone, just my ignorance!

Why is providing transit to the north east corridor such a priority?
Where in the north east besides Ellenbrook?

Just to clarify when I said north-east corridor I meant more Mirrabooka and Morley though as Ellenbrook grows there will be greater pressure to improve PT there as wll. IMO the Morley/Mirrabooka area is poorly serviced relative to other areas in the Perth Metro and it would be better to invest in light rail or BRT in these areas first.

I think it is wanted for projected growth, rather than what is there now. Ellenbrook will eventually be town centre for well over 50,000 people.

^ At Yanchep. Looong way to go yet.

I agree though. Just cos they built a train to the southern sprawl doesn't mean that everyone in the sticks should have a station at their front door. The mid north as I call it needs to be the focus of PT this decade.

Well whats the alternative? The suburbs already built there so its not going to change. Best we can do is make it as best as possible. There needs to be a train line out to that region.

I think its better to concentrate on the transit like the inner city Tram routes to encourage infill. Putting a line to ellenbrook or butler encourqges suburbs to sprawl further and further north and north east- and then people will say we need to service those new suburbs and then so on........ and so the sprawl continues and inner city stays quiet and boring

I mean as great as it would be to end the sprawl, issues with buyers wanting stand-alone blocks and continuously ignored housing affordability issues will eventually force the government's hand and bow to public opinion and land developers to release more land. Its important we improve general infrastructure in the inner core to make it an attractive area for people to consider living in but that alone is not going to completely stop the growth of the metro area.

We can slow sprawl but I doubt we'll be able to stop it overnight...it will take a few generations to completely weed out the idea that living in a detached house with a pretty garden and double carport is the only way to go.

We can't just pretend or wish that outer suburbia doesn't exist or will stop growing...the reality is there going to expand and we'll have to provide reasonable infrastructure. Hopefully people will continue to become more accepting of the idea of higher-density living and the sprawl will slow.

^^ Yes that is true- but if people CHOOSE to live in outer woop woop with their big block (and nothing is wrong with that) then you should expect that not everything is at your door step.

Ellenbrook is the biggest blight on the earth. Give them some mass transit when there is some actual density. If if they do, build density around the hubs at the very least...
There is a north east corridor plan somewhere, of which Ellenbrook is a part (but not sole component of)

Biggest Blight? Hmm.. I would suggest half the souless northern suburbs are more of a blight than Ellenbrook. The recent bus service upgrades between Ellenbrook, Bassendean and Morley are working quite well and should serve Ellenbrook and the developing suburbs of Bennett Springs, Dayton and Brabham for the next decade imo

61 - 80 of 1,405 Posts