SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Projects and Discussions | Fremantle

318K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  WCG 
#1 ·
You guys asked for it! I'm much too lazy to go trawling the Metropolitan Developments thread and moving posts, so I'll let you guys help me with that one.

#170 ·
Go to the Tav first!

On a more serious note, it is clear to me that Lutton has no grasp of market dynamics and essentially believes that the Government/Council should be making all the decisions with regard to the number of apartments, the total commercial floor area etc.

What he doesn't understand is that the market (and hence the developers) are best placed to determine how many apartments and how many m2 of floor space needs to be delivered. The role of the council is simply to provide the framework indicating where and in what form those apartments and commercial developments should be developed if needed.

Further, I note that there are better quality pictures of the Queensgate development in the latest LDAP agenda. Like most of the recent Fremantle development proposals the quality of this design seems very high, even if the development itself is quite small.

#171 ·
What's the story with the largely vacant area, except for some communication towers, on the east side of Swanbourne Street just south of Monument Hill?

This would be a good spot for a cluster of skyscrapers (such as Crawley) using the 30 meters of ridgeline as a headstart, with the communication towers being put on top, along with an observation deck. The all-round views would have to be amongst the best in Perth. This would allow Fremantle to have a skyline without affecting the character of the old city.

#175 ·
Council decision stuns residents

However, after amending the application to a starting capacity of 400 people, a maximum ongoing capacity of 850 people and 12 instead of 15 ticketed events for 1500 people per year, council approved the proposal eight votes to five.

Councillors clearly had a big vision for the area, saying one of the ultimate aims was to connect the train station, port, beach and city via activity nodes.

They also said that the facilities in the area required upgrades for any hospitality business to be able to open, which would cost in the region of $3 million.

To make that expense worthwhile for any developer a lease for a premises larger than a small bar, limited to 120 patrons, was necessary.

#196 ·
Hahaha Maccas can eat a dick.

It's actually the best. They do $7.50 fish and chips as well. And $7 coffee and cake. In your face inflation. I don't actually know what it's called but it's on the corner of Cargill and Washington Street in Vic Park.

As much as I love quirky inner city laneway cafes etc it gets a bit much paying $18 for a goats cheese and salmon bagel with fennel.