SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PERTH | Completed | Ritz Carlton Perth & The Towers [106m, 93m | Mixed ]

320K views 1K replies 128 participants last post by  Sky_Is_The_Limit 
#1 · (Edited)

Ritz Carlton said:
HONG KONG – March 26, 2014: The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. and Fast Consortium, a leading Asian residential apartment developer, have signed an agreement for the development of The Ritz-Carlton, Perth, heralding the much-anticipated return of the luxury hotel operator to Australia.

Commenting on this landmark return, Herve Humler, President and Chief Operations Officer, The Ritz-Carlton, said “We are delighted to make our return to Australia, bringing our legendary services to Perth. We have listened to our guests who have a strong desire to stay with us when the travel to this beautiful destination in Western Australia. We have great partners in Far East Consortium and look forward to opening this incredible hotel in 2018.”

Working closely with the Western Australian Government and the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA), Far East Consortium will build the 204-room Ritz-Carlton, in addition to residential apartments in the heart of the riverside Elizabeth Quay development on Perth’s waterfront.

The Ritz-Carlton, Perth will be the first international luxury hotel in the city, bringing its unique benchmark service culture, with luxurious accommodations and experiences to Western Australia. Its commanding waterfront position features a sweeping view over the Swan River, and the nearby attractions of Kings Park and the Botanical Garden.

Located in the commercial and business district adjacent to the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre, Elizabeth Quay is the centre-piece of Perth’s drive to reinforce its position as an international and contemporary destination for the global affluent traveler. When completed, the project will also feature 1.5kms of continuous promenades to create a destination experience that will attract an estimated four million visitors a year.

Perth is the capital city of Western Australia and is recognized by the Economist Intelligence Unit as the 9th most livable city in the world. It enjoys a reputation as Australia’s sunniest city and tourism arrivals are robust as the state enjoys 7 million overnight visitors a year. Perth is also close to the scenic Swan Valley, known as Western Australia’s oldest wine growing region as well as the America’s Cup port city of Fremantle. The regional economy also remains one of Australia’s most buoyant and accounts for almost 50% of all exports.

Far East Consortium Chairman, Tan Sri David Chiu said: “Far East Consortium is privileged to have been selected as the developer of this project by the Western Australian Government which will bring the river to the city. We look forward to creating a set of landmark buildings on the Perth waterfront which will herald Perth’s arrival as a world class city in Australasia.”

“The Ritz-Carlton is an international luxury hotel operator renowned for its service. The development of The Ritz-Carlton, Perth is a key part of the Elizabeth Quay project and will further strengthen that reputation. I expect it to quickly become an iconic part of Western Australia's tourism landscape,” he added.

The ground-breaking for The Ritz-Carlton, Perth is expected during 2015. The project will also encompass ground floor retail space, waterfront fine dining experiences, and luxury 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments.

The Ritz-Carlton is the fastest growing global luxury hotel operator in Asia-Pacific and with the signing of Perth, will officially double its presence to 44 hotels and resorts in the region by 2018.
http://corporate.ritzcarlton.com/en/Press/Releases/The_Ritz_carlton_plans_return_to_Australia.htm
QUICK FACTS
HEIGHT: ~100m/27st, ~80m/23st, ~70m/20st
GFA: Unknown
HOTEL ROOMS: 204
APARTMENTS: 420
ARCHITECT: Cottee Parker
DEVELOPER: Far East Consortium
COST: $350m
CONTRACTOR: Probuild

RENDERS

http://www.thetowersperth.com.au/images/roi-image-04-1927x1101.jpg

http://www.thetowersperth.com.au/images/roi-image-01-1927x1101.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/news/21748/
http://www.thetowersperth.com.au/#roi

See less See more
1 2
#74 ·
rather than demolish it, it should be put inside a giant atrium building or something.

iirc there is a building in Melbourne City that has done just that to one of it's old historical buildings. I reckon it could happen in Perth too. :)

then the sounds of the bells are restricted to the atrium interior. would be good wake up music to the hotel patron's ;)

:nuts: the bell tower will probably stay put until the end of time.

#84 ·
WOW!! So iconic, truly world class architecture befitting such a landmark site. I dig how the building look driving towards it on Riverside Drive. The podium is so, so activated and engaging!! What a spectacular view!!

Really love the creative but crafty and curvy way the architect justify the Tower's height.

See the South East and North West site elevations (pages 3 & 4) - http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/documents-...art-4-attachment-b-architectural-drawings.pdf

Just hope we can also check out the over-shadowing diagrams. With the curved facade, am sure it can reflect from the reflective glazing sun shine to the shadowed spaces at ground plane.

Funny that the architect indicate MRA's height limit of adjoining site 7 & 8 but conveniently forgot to indicate on the Tower's height limits.

I think MRA will simply say, it's their discretion to approve it, 27 storeys is only 7 storeys more than the design guidelines of 20 storeys. It is only 35% over the design guidelines.

Am sure Chevron will be keen for this to be approved and push their heights to 60 or 70 storeys!!

Can't wait for this to commence construction!! Perth skyline need these super highrise buildings!!

#89 ·
The whole quay project was only ever going be undertaken with a company like Chevron anchoring a major project. Part of them agreeing would be generous allowances on height and scale. I'm sure that whatever is put forward will be at least 40 to 50 storeys, maybe taller. It will be a landmark tower in terms of the height and location with Chevron I imagine also agreeing to design terms with the government; in other words I doubt we will be seeing a regular office tower type box. I'm hoping for something with lots of reflective glass!

Anyone have any idea on when we might start to see the first renders?

#88 ·
There is criticism and then there is blind skepticism.

Reactions: Urbicus
#90 ·
Overshadow...

Reactions: vic-k
#94 ·
I am all for more skyscrapers in the Perth skyline and especially so in the Elizabeth Quay precinct.

My beef with the current The Towers DA submission is how it has grossly exceeded the height limits - both podium and tower and correspondingly impacting upon over-shadowing on the Eastern Promenade on the 21st Sept at 12 noon.

Whilst it is acknowledged this is just a DA application and is subject to MRA's processes of design review and public feedback, the lack of publication of such obscene transgression of the design guidelines in the mass media will inevitably result in a determination which may cause unnecessary aspersions on the integrity of the MRA and its processes. The fact that such a proposal has been submitted may provide some indication of support by the MRA for it to proceed to DA.

As an interested party in these two and other sites around the Elizabeth Quay, this massive breach of the design guidelines will have a major impact on developers' confidence in MRA's transparency and hence decision to partake in future expressions of interest for other sites.

In talking to various property experts around town, it appears that politics has creep into the process and it seems WA Inc is back in town!

#95 ·
#96 ·
In RFP documentations from MRA and subsequent meetings with the authorities' personnel, it was made explicitly clear to interested parties that the main planning control tool would be the height, particularly Site 10 due to its extremely close proximity to the Bell Tower and hence strict adherence to the 20 storey height limit would be expected. MRA did not want any new built to tower over the Bells and were seeking an appropriate height to "frame" the Bells.

Perhaps there is a hidden agenda, yes I am speculating but why offer the two sites to a lower bidder? Why not split the award to two competing bidders? Why is the basement connected when the two sites are not amalgamated?

I hope the planners and design review panelists will not be complicit to the whole charade as apparently tacit approval has already been given.

As an interested member of the public, I would want to know the answers to these significant departure from the guidelines.

#98 ·
Demolish this Bell Tower and replace with a newer, bigger Bell Tower.

Reactions: HighgateJohnny
#102 ·
I din no tat: only know that steel don't need to melt to cause structural failure, it only need to reach 620 DegC and axial thermal expansion and thermal bowing can occur. In fact even small increases in temp of between 100C to 200C is sufficient to generate forces within a beam to cause yield and local buckling toward its connections.

#101 ·
Armstrong landed in a Hollywood studio too?

Reactions: Guacamayo
#109 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.