SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Projects and Discussions | Stadiums of WA

1M views 7K replies 256 participants last post by  hack404 
#1 ·

QUICK FACTS

- The new Perth Stadium will be open for the 2018 AFL season.

- A multi-purpose venue capable of hosting AFL, rugby, football (soccer), cricket and entertainment events.

- Initial 60,000 seat capacity.

- A ‘fans first’ approach to design and technology.

- An integrated public transport approach that includes rail, bus and pedestrian solutions.

ADDITIONAL FACTS

DESIGN FEATURES

- A multi-purpose Stadium accommodating AFL, cricket and entertainment events with drop-in seats adding flexibility to host rugby union and league, and soccer (football). Capability to host major events consistent with requirements for Commonwealth Games and international athletics.

- Designed to increase the seating capacity within the existing structure, adding up to 10,000 additional seats.

- The unique bronze façade uses anodised aluminium which reflects WA’s unique geology by day and, using state of the art LED lighting, home team colours by night.

- The seating bowl maximises the atmosphere, gives fans exceptional views and brings them close to the action, providing a special home ground advantage for our teams.

- The lightweight fabric roof covers 85% of seats and responds to Perth’s climatic conditions. At night, it will present a spectacular glowing halo effect.

- Start-of-the-art team facilities include flexible warm-up and recovery areas.

TRANSPORT

- The transport strategy ensures the safe and efficient movement of 83% of a capacity crowd within an hour of an event finishing.

- New infrastructure includes the six-platform Stadium Station and the Swan River Pedestrian Bridge.

- Special Event Bus Stands provide access to city car parks and areas not currently serviced by rail.

LANDSCAPING AND ARTWORK

- The covered Community Arbour represents Noongar Community stories, linking the six-platform Stadium Station to the Swan River.

- The western section of the Precinct is home to an amphitheatre, two children’s playgrounds, picnic areas and a boardwalk.

- The Community Sporting Oval in the north is available for public use on non-event days, as well as providing event-day parking.

- The landscape design around the Precinct is inspired by the Indigenous six seasons, providing wind and shade protection.

- Integrated artwork throughout the Precinct recognises the ancestral homes of the 152 different language communities in Western Australia and the State’s rich sporting history.

- A network of walking and cycle tracks throughout the Precinct encourages seven day a week use.

FAN EXPERIENCE

- Future-proofed stadium technology will be provided, including full 4G Wi-Fi coverage across the Stadium and Sports Precinct.

- Two 240m² giant video screens are some of the largest in Australia and will use the latest technology when the Stadium opens in 2018.

- Over 1,000 TV screens are strategically located throughout the interior of the Stadium so fans never miss the action.

- A Children’s Activity Zone within the Stadium.

- Fans will be able to utilise more than 70 food and beverage outlets and still be able to view the action on the field.

- A buffet and a la carte restaurant over-looking the Swan River provide a destination for patrons both pre and post‑game plus on non-event days.

- The Stadium will include the widest range of seating and hospitality options of any stadia in Australia.

- Cup holders are included in every seat and seats themselves will be a minimum of 50cm wide, maximising comfort for fans.

- Fans requiring higher levels of support and accessibility have access to designated seating platforms across all seating tiers, parking spaces within the Sports Precinct and adult changing rooms that provide larger cubicles and additional facilities.

RENDERS AND VIDEO

See less See more
1 7
#87 ·
I assume you mean the ones on the edge of the square.
They are about 57 to 60m from fence, so something like 53m to boundary on the sides.
Interesting because new international grounds can't have square boundaries shorter than 65 yards (59.43 metres) as well as a clearance of 3 yards (2.74 metres) between the rope and fence.

#89 ·
From what I have been to/witnessed/seen on TV here in Glasgow over the last week and a half, there is absolutely no reason Perth can't host a modern and successful Commonwealth Games AND/OR Olympic Games. Before you bunch of knockers knock me, lets see why it will work.

Glasgow has put on a pretty good show for a small town, but they just aren't coping with capacity in many places. Train station is absolutely bursting at the seams, most of the trains are old shitty diesel trains which only go about 50km/h with the acceleration of a road train up Greenmount, and I waited in 40 minutes in line today to get through the doors to the hockey venue, which seats 3500. Pretty shocking.

Having said that, the people are all wonderful and happy and helpful and its hard to get annoyed. Wearing team Australia gear also gets you many many favours ;)

Anyway, here goes. Feel free to add

Population (Current/Projected 2030)
Glasgow - (600k/?)

Perth - (1.6million/2.4 million)

Public Transport
Glasgow - Small inner city Subway and diesel powered heavy rail. Very slow, very inefficient, low frequency

Perth - Electrified rail cars, 15 minute frequencies, fast, clean, efficient, possible tram network and/or metronet by 2030

Airport
Glasgow - small, serviced by busses only, 30mins from city

Perth - fully amalgamated by 2030, rail line(?), international connections

Stadia
Main Stadium
Glasgow - Hampden Park. 40,000 pax. 0 dedicated train stations.
Perth. New Stadium 60-70,000 pax. dedicated train station. Ability for warm up track to be opposite.

Rectangle
Glasgow - Ibrox Stadium. 50,000 pax
Perth - ME Stadium, 30,000 pax

Swimming
Glasgow - Tolcross International. 5000 pax
Perth - Redeveloped Beatty Park? 7-8000 with full wrap around and roof. Diving at Challenge to limit new infrastructure expenditure

Hockey
Glasgow - Glasgow Green centre. 3500 pax. One pitch
Perth - Curtin Hockey Centre. Redevelop to 10,000 pax? Two pitches, second to hold 1000 with temporary seating

Netball
Glasgow - SECC Halls. 2000 pax
Perth - Challenge Stadium. 4500 pax

Basketball
Glasgow - not contested at CWG level
Perth - Olympics. Perth Arena. 15,000 seats. City centre

Rowing
Perth - Champion Lakes

Cycling
Glasgow - Chris Hoy Velo. 4500 pax
Perth - Speeddome. 2500 pax. Upgrades to come.

The other venues can be built ad-hoc around the city. Archery at the new Western Force venue or on Mcgilvaray Oval, Weightlifting at the State Theatre, Convention centre for Gymnastics and other indoor events.

Obviously would need some additions to existing buildings such as Beatty Park, which IMO is far more suited to an olympic competition than Challenge for swimming. But we have the majority of things in place with the new stadium, ME Stadium being completed and Perth Arena in full operation. If anything, it might end up meaning we need to build another bigger square stadium for Rugby 7's and Football to share the load.

When I read people saying we have no chance etc etc, I think the opposite. The only thing that would let us down is the willingness/ability for the powers who put the bid together to do a good job.

Let us know your thoughts on what else we would need in 2030 for this to happen.

#90 ·
Not an expert at Commonwealth Games level, but some of those seem to be not CG but rather Olympics.

That said, i too have thought that weightlifting would beat the State Theatre. Boxing might be an issue.
Don't know if shooting venue sufficient. Is cycling, gymnastics up to scratch?

#96 ·

my quick wiki search told me 575k, which is obviously just the city of, but this statistics document where wikipedia took its stats from states that Greater Glasgow = 977k

National Records of Scotland
That's amazing. When I was living in Scotland I thought it had a population of 2.5 million and that was about 10 years ago.

All I can say is for a city of under 1M people Glasgow feels at least twice as big. Edinburgh was the same, I remember it having a smaller population than Perth but feeling so much bigger. Could be a tourist thing.

#99 ·
From Wikipedia (you can choose whether to believe it or not...):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Glasgow

While the Scottish Government makes no official recognition of 'Metropolitan status' in its workings,[14] the term is used by other bodies. The European Union's statistical body Eurostat lists Glasgow as the 32nd most populous metropolitan area, or Larger Urban Zones, in the EU. Although not defining the boundaries of this metropolitan area, Eurostat state it consists "of over 1.7 million inhabitants covering an area of 3,346 km2".,[15] which is similar to the 1.75 million population of the Glasgow City Region and may suggest a correlation between the two. The Glasgow City Region's strategic development authority describes itself as the planning authority for the "Glasgow metropolitan area"[16] and the "metropolitan city-region of Glasgow".[13]

The former local government region of Strathclyde has also been identified as a metropolitan area surrounding the Greater Glasgow conurbation, and covers approximately 2.3 million people, 41% of Scotland's population.[17]