SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Turkey | One photo per post

Tags
turkey
2M views 31K replies 270 participants last post by  TayfunVural 
#1 · (Edited)
#1,578 · (Edited)
The very famous gate of two sphinxes of Hattusa, the capital of great Hittite Empire. This is the first empire was centered in ancient Turkey. Hattusa, the legendary city is more than 4 thousand years old!!!!! Hittites were the first every Indo-european people. Their language is related to Latin, Celtic, Germanic, Baltic languages, etc.

By Sr. Samolo

#1,579 ·
This Hittite hieroglyphics is from late Hittite kingdom, year 825 Before Christ! King Kilamuwa was talking about his achievements and was putting a curse on the people that can destroy the inscription!!!

By HEN-Magonza

"I am Kilamuwa, the son of King Haya'. King Gabar reigned over Ya'diya-(Sam'al) but achieved nothing. Then came Bamah, and he achieved nothing. My own father, Haya', did nothing with his reign. My brother, Sha'il, also did nothing. It was I, Kilamuwa...who managed to do what none of my ancestors had.

My father's kingdom was beset by powerful, predatory kings, all holding out their hands, demanding to be fed. But I raged amongst them like a fire, burning their beards and consuming their outstretched hands. Only the Danunian kings overmastered me; I had to call on the King of Assyria to assist me...

I, Kilamuwa, the son of Haya', ascended my father's throne. Under their previous kings, the people] had howled like dogs. But I was a father, a mother and a brother to them. I gave gold, silver and cattle to men who had never so much as seen the face of a sheep before. Those who had never even seen linen all their lives I clothed in byssus-cloth from head to foot. I took the people by the hand and in their souls they looked to me just as the orphan looks to his mother.

Whoever of my sons comes after me and interferes with this inscription, may he be dishonoured among the people... And if anyone should damage this inscription, Let Gabar's god Ba'al-Samad destroy his head, And let Bamah's god Ba'al Hamon destroy his head..."

#1,580 ·
A Hittite Priest-King (or Deity), around 1600 BC. This large basalt sculpture, with bone eyes, is rare in depicting a Hittite priest-king wearing a horned conical crown, false beard, and long robe. He holds a bowl in his right hand and once held something in his left, perhaps a staff or sword.

It is now in Cleveland Museum of Art, University Circle, Cleveland, Ohio.

Hittite statue by scazon, on Flickr