daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #2501
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 369

Yes, the ridership is lower than most would like. The trains typically get about 80-150 passengers from what I have seen (I have ridden the train about 30 times over the past 9 years. When I ride, I generally walk to the far end of the train where the trains are more empty.

The ticket price is too expensive for many local people and airport workers and now the Subway Line 2 makes a direct run from People's Square and the other airport and train station. That ride takes about 1 hour or more, but it is a cheaper ticket price.

The Shanghai Maglev was built as a demonstration line and its been working great for all these years.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 8th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2502
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 36795

Locals don't use it right because they don't need to. As for foreigners many just don't know it exists or don't know where it goes. They prefer taxis that are way slower.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(in Russian)

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(almost daily updates)

Жё сюи Кобзон

lkstrknb, Импозантный liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #2503
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 11154

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...dis-order.html

Shanghai places first Chinese Citadis tram order
09 Apr 2015

CHINA: Shanghai Songjiang Tramway Investment & Operation Co has awarded the Shanghai Alstom Transport joint venture of Shanghai Rail Traffic Equipment Development Co (60%) and Alstom (40%) a €72m contract to supply 30 Citadis trams for use in the Songjiang suburb of Shanghai.

Announcing the order on April 9, Alstom said it was the first order for Citadis trams in China. SATCO is to manufacture the vehicles, with Alstom’s La Rochelle plant in France providing the control and monitoring software and Villeurbanne the hardware, Le Creusot the bogies and Tarbes technical support for the power modules. Alstom’s Sesto site in Italy will provide technical support for the traction inverters

WingTips, _Night City Dream_ liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #2504
_Night City Dream_

Are they importing technology or this is just assemnblage?

Dymlis1994, please, do not quote the news, place them as a normal text. I sometimes want to copy it to our Russian section but I can't do it quickly.

My
(in Russian)

My
(almost daily updates)

Жё сюи Кобзон
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #2505
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 1208

As a compromise, I suggest quoting the news in the international forums and doing what you want in the Russian forum. Thanks.

dimlys1994, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #2506
reinhart87
heal the world

Location: Jakarta, Seattle, Toronto, Groningen, Leuven, Tilburg, Rotterdam, Shanghai
Likes (Received): 7

As a foreigner living in Shanghai, I am a big fan of using the Maglev. Whenever I need to go to Pudong airport alone or with another person, then Maglev is always the first choice. Only when I go with a two or three other people then taking a taxi or hiring a private car makes more sense. Taking Maglev is fast, I always get a seat, and just so easy

From where I live, I only need max 35 mins door to door to Pudong airport if I use Maglev. I get a taxi from my apartment and go to Longyang Lu station and from Longyang Lu station to Pudong with Maglev. If I used taxi from my apartment to Pudong, it will take at least 1 hour and the cost ranges around 170-180 RMB.

It is a pity that Shanghai Maglev stops at Longyang Lu station as it is no where near Lujiazui CBD and Puxi. Plus, the management needs to do some serious cleaning, cabin refurbishment, and just better maintenance as signs of wear and tear are so obvious

_Night City Dream_, dewlin07 liked this post
reinhart87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #2507
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
As a compromise, I suggest quoting the news in the international forums and doing what you want in the Russian forum. Thanks.
You'd probably misunderstood me. I didn't mean I don't want him to post the news.

Every times Dymlis1994 posts the news, he puts it between QUOTE tags. As a result, I can't re-quote it to easily copy to the Russian thread.

My
(in Russian)

My
(almost daily updates)

Жё сюи Кобзон

dimlys1994, Peloso liked this post
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #2508
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
It looks like the Maglev Line will never be extended in the foreseeable future. Oh well.....
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #2509
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
It looks like the Maglev Line will never be extended in the foreseeable future. Oh well.....
Which is a shame, because every extension you can make on that line will increase its usefulness tenfold, and enhance the network as a whole.

To Lujiazui: lots and lots of business travelers will use it more.
To People's Square: all other travelers plus business travelers will use it more.
To Hongqiao: all people coming from Hongqiao (airport or HSR) can now also use it. Would make Hongqiao-Pudong transfers a lot more feasible.

So you don't have to extend the line to Hongqiao right away (expensive): you can extend it in small phases, step by step, each one being useful.

Pansori, Swede liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #2510
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Which is a shame, because every extension you can make on that line will increase its usefulness tenfold, and enhance the network as a whole.

To Lujiazui: lots and lots of business travelers will use it more.
To People's Square: all other travelers plus business travelers will use it more.
To Hongqiao: all people coming from Hongqiao (airport or HSR) can now also use it. Would make Hongqiao-Pudong transfers a lot more feasible.

So you don't have to extend the line to Hongqiao right away (expensive): you can extend it in small phases, step by step, each one being useful.
At the very least, a short extension to the Disney Site would make it exponentially more useful, and offer a quicker connection into the city via Line 11
Old April 19th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #2511
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 4235

I've finally got round to putting my videos of Shanghai up on my channel. So to start things off, here is Line 2 of the metro at Nanjing Road East station.

Lots to come.

My Photo Tours:

dimlys1994, dewlin07 liked this post
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #2512
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

More videos of the Shanghai Metro.

First a video of the interchange between Line 2 and Line 9 at Century Avenue Station.

Xujiahui station interchange between Line 9 and Line 1 - this interchange is INCREDIBLY long!

Platform view and view of a train leaving Xujiahui station and platform views (including platform information screens).

Shanghai Jiaotong University Station. Line 10 platforms.

My Photo Tours:

Old April 24th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #2513
Northridge

Likes (Received): 68

What do you think of the differences between Shanghai and Beijing metro?
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #2514
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
What do you think of the differences between Shanghai and Beijing metro?
Shanghai - obviously newer. Not only that but they seem to rely less upon interchanges compared to Beijing. Seems to be an unequal distribution between the "useful" lines and less useful - I mean look at the massive trip generators along line 2.

Beijing - Clearly designed for interchanges on a grid-like set up. Very logical but often massively long interchanges. There seemed to be more variability in the size of the trains too, Shanghai seems to be a higher capacity system.

The biggest difference, however, was in the attitude of the people. Beijingers have embraced subway etiquette far more than Shanghai has. I really preferred the Beijing subway for this reason.

My Photo Tours:

Northridge liked this post

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram