SkyscraperCity Forum banner

INFRASTRUKTUR | Norske jernbaner | Railways

184K views 1K replies 81 participants last post by  Never give up 
#1 ·
#971 ·
#982 · (Edited)
^^Posted some of the pictures here:

The new platforms should be put into use from Aug 2019, which also marks the construction start of the eastern side of new Ski station.

The northbound track of Østfoldbanen will be running above Follobanen as it does in the middle of the picture here. Follobanen will be running into a tunnel where you see a rock wall in the back (breakthrough expected next year).

Follobanen is cutting travelling time for all express services on Østfoldbanen from 2021 till 11 minutes (around 23 min today), while an increase in frequency on the Moss-line won't happen till 2024 when the project is completed past Moss.
As said, there are further plans on Østfoldbanen with various time scales; 2029 to Sarpsborg and 2034 to Halden, but I would say all of them are on the optimistic side as they are in the very early stages of planning, with Sarpsborg - Halden even without a plan.
The rest of the projects are on the level of preliminary hearings of area plans; Fredrikstad - Sarpsborg (Seut - Rolvsøy) is expected to be on hearing summer 2019, and south of Moss - Fredrikstad (Haug - Seut) is currently on hearing (see the plan here).

#984 · (Edited)
I think the new name and profile will be a good match for the company.

People are so short sighted and conservative. One can't measure the success of a profile by one's own non-professional knee jerk response.

Give it a few years and then we'll see..

There was a lot of criticism of the new name when Oslo Sporveier changed name to Ruter as well. I think today most people agree that there was value in that decision. The best brand is not necessarily one that is easy to digest in the beginning. You need to work with it..and that can be good. This is done by professionals, granted not every re-branding is succesful, but they usually know what they're doing.

And the same can obviously be said about Televerket-->Telenor, and I'm sure there won't be long until no one misses the name Statoil.

#985 ·
I got to news story drom Instagram (following Snøhetta) and already knew all other medias would be full of unfunny comments about that for the rest of the day.

I dont care about the name, just as i dont care about Equinor. But it seems very Pr-ish and i dont understand the reasoning. They got the nsb name in the 1850ies (!) while they were focusing on transport of people, and they are changing the name because they want to focus more on transport of people. Nettbuss has been transporting more people than the train services for decades and have been around since before the war. I think just as the papers show, most people including nsb employees see that nsb has challenges far exceeding the company's profile and the amount of money and resources going into this is out of proportion to anything in the business.

#990 · (Edited)
I’m split on the rebranding. On the one hand I think that NSB was in dire need of a makeover. Their current design profile is probably the least inspiring and confidence inducing that they have ever had. Compare their current logo with one of their historic ones. I think the 1970s-2000s one was really cool. Simple and modern, yet with a clear reference to the past. Then they had to cheapen it a bit in the 2000s, for some reason. Or take their horrible and messy use of contrast colors in the current train liveries, compared to the smooth dark red and black of the 90s, or the dark red and gold of the 70s and earlier. And then there is their baggy and unprofessional looking uniforms, compared to the former stylish and professional ones. If you take this in to account I think the new livery and even the logo is a big upgrade.

However, as mostly everyone else I am extremely disappointed by the name change. I would have loved to know if this decision was driven primarily by Snøhetta themselves, or by some “new public management” philosophy within NSB. Especially after the debacle of OsloMet, BaneNOR, Equinor, Sørbanen etc. I would expect someone like Snøhetta to understand that the most refreshing and original approach in this day and age would have been re-imagination and continuity, rather than a complete neglect of history. I mean, this is the company that came to existence through their sublime mix of modern and ancient history in the library of Alexandria. Otherwise they did a decent job with the new Norwegian currency and passport, which both have clear historical references.

After this what is there really left of continuity in the public companies that built modern Norway? NRK? I hope at least they, by virtue of being an organization consisting of mostly journalists, who are professionals in language and communication, can understand the value of their heritage, and fight this never ending trend of nondescript branding.

#1,006 ·
I can't believe they are even thinking of going that route, look at the mess in the UK after the govt cut up and privatised British Rail. I also think Norway's rail network is far to small to allow effective competition, we'll just end up subsidising the operators who will provide and inferior service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.