daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2341
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNNG View Post
I think Wuxi and shuzou is already a city of their own(in term of population and size), if you force them to be included inside greater shanghai it would damage their city development and might end up to be shanghai satellite city where all the good development will focus mainly in shanghai. I also think these city is too far to be included inside greater shanghai.
Central Shanghai to central Suzhou is something like 90 km.
For comparison, the second city of Tokyo Metropolis is Yokohama, and the Yokohama Station is just 28,8 km from Tokyo Station. So Suzhou is much harder to merge with Shanghai.
At comparable distances from Tokyo, Odawara Station is 83,9 km from Tokyo by Tokaido Main Line, Utsunomiya Atation is 109,5 km from Tokyo by Tohoku Main Line, and Takasaki Station is 105 km from Tokyo by Takasaki Line.

But neither Odawara nor Utsunomiya nor Takasaki are anywhere as big urban centres as Suzhou is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNNG View Post
I think they could work together and form an economy strategic area between these city. Furthermore shanghai will be too crowded if people from these city coming in to work. I've been to shanghai twice and it is very crowded. Unlike Tokyo who have few big, famous and busy downtown area, shanghai also need to develop few more downtown area to "dissolve" the crowd in main city area.
There ARE downtown areas. Central Kunshan is 50 km from Shanghai. It also is 40 km from central Suzhou. Yes, Kunshan is administratively subject to Suzhou, but it is further from Suzhou than Yokohama is from Tokyo.
Does Kunshan have closer commuter, economic and social connections with central Suzhou or with Shanghai?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2342
ddes

Likes (Received): 253

You guys seem to keep revisiting this Tokyo vs Shanghai thing every once in a while. I get that both cities are in Northeast Asia, have a similar kind of dynamism, and have colorful trains running elevated sometimes. But beyond that, the two cities are very different places in their life, both in terms rate of development, and pattern of urbanization.

Anyway, it was posted way back that they were building a CRH track between Pudong and Hongqiao, or something to that effect. Is it still happening?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #2343
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2743

Well, that's my whole point in this whole thing, they are completely different and as such saying things like "almost the same as Tokyo" are pointless.

My Photo Tours: Singapore Dec 2013, Tokyo Dec 2013, New Zealand Dec 2013 and Jan 2014

YouTube Channel
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #2344
:jax:

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
There ARE downtown areas. Central Kunshan is 50 km from Shanghai. It also is 40 km from central Suzhou. Yes, Kunshan is administratively subject to Suzhou, but it is further from Suzhou than Yokohama is from Tokyo.
Does Kunshan have closer commuter, economic and social connections with central Suzhou or with Shanghai?
Kunshan is definitely in Shanghai's gravitational field. I haven't been to all parts of it, but the ones I have visited had the feel of an outer suburb of Shanghai, including the metro and buses going to Shanghai. Not very surprising given the relative size and importance of Shanghai and Suzhou.
:jax: está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #2345
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 3676

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post

Anyway, it was posted way back that they were building a CRH track between Pudong and Hongqiao, or something to that effect. Is it still happening?
Do you mean the 160km/h line connecting Pudong and Hongqiao bypassing the inner city areas? I was wondering what was happening with this one too. That's like one of the most important projects at the moment.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #2346
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 27245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Well, that's my whole point in this whole thing, they are completely different and as such saying things like "almost the same as Tokyo" are pointless.
Could you show me where I was saying that? I said SHANGHAI is turning bit by bit into Tokyo, which is completely different. And I didn't mean having dozens of lines. I meant that you will be able to see in Shanghai two trains of different lines trying to rival each other.

My LiveJournal (in Russian)

My Instagram (almost daily updates)
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai