daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News

Old May 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #1
MAH45462

Likes (Received): 94

1,200 footer proposed

It will be in today's Miami Herald!

A proposal will soon be submitted for a 1,200 foot condo tower on Biscayne Blvd. and Northeast 4th Street. The L-shaped building will have 1,000 condos and 500 apartment-hotel rooms.
MAH45462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 593

HERE IT IS.....UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Posted on Thu, May. 05, 2005
DOWNTOWN MIAMI
Plans for world's tallest condo tower unveiled

Miami's new landmark? A developer is proposing to build the world's tallest condo tower -- 1,200 feet and 110 stories high -- on Biscayne Boulevard.
BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN
mhaggman@herald.com

The South Florida building boom may be reaching new heights, with a developer proposing what could be the world's tallest condominium in downtown Miami.

Leon Cohen is preparing to submit plans with the city of Miami to build a condo tower and apartment-hotel tower that would each rise 1,200 feet along Biscayne Boulevard.

If built, both 110-story skyscrapers would be the tallest in Florida, and the condo tower would rank as the tallest residential high-rise in the world, Cohen said.

The 21st Century Tower in Dubai, 883 feet tall, is currently the world's tallest residential building, according to Germany-based Emporis, which tracks high-rise construction. Florida's tallest high-rise is the 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel & Tower on Brickell Avenue in Miami.

But Cohen, who grew up in Paris and moved to Miami Beach in 2000, faces severe hurdles in getting approvals to build so high. The Federal Aviation Administration has limited the height of new buildings along Biscayne Boulevard so as not to interfere with planes flying into Miami International Airport.

Called Empire World Towers, Cohen's development would rise on an L-shaped, roughly two-acre parcel at 330 Biscayne Blvd. The two towers, projected to include 1,000 condo units and 500 apartment-hotel units, would wrap around the Holiday Inn hotel at the corner of Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast Fourth Street.

MIAMI = NEW YORK

''Miami is what New York was in 1945,'' Cohen said Wednesday, who shrugged off any concerns about too many new condos being built in downtown Miami. ``Biscayne Boulevard will become Fifth Avenue.''

On Monday, the developer formally purchased the property from Allen Greenwald for $31.7 million, he said. Demonstrating how Miami's prices have raced upward amid the region's ongoing condo boom, Greenwald purchased the site in April 2004 for $16.5 million.

Edie Laquer of Laquer Corporate Realty in Miami, who called the project ''innovative,'' brokered the sale.

AIR NAVIGATION

FAA public affairs manager Kathleen Bergen, who works out of the agency's Southeast region office in Atlanta, said the heights of all buildings are considered on a case-by-case basis. FAA staffers perform a computer analysis studying the longitude and latitude of a structure to determine if a building is a hazard to air navigation. It is not uncommon, she said, to negotiate with developers over height, markings and lighting.

''Miami is a very busy place for us for airspace studies,'' Bergen said. ``That is much taller than what has been proposed. But we would take a look at any proposal that came in.''

Developer Pedro Martin, who plans to build high-rise condo towers nearby at 600 and 900 Biscayne Blvd., said his building heights were limited to 649 feet.

''Would they go to 1,200? I have no idea,'' Martin said, who added that projects like Cohen's, which are located closer to downtown Miami, may be allowed to rise higher.

Cohen insists he can win approvals for the two towering structures -- and expressed total confidence he can build at least 900 feet high.

''I would not be talking about this if I didn't think we could do it,'' he said.

Cohen, whose company is Maclee Development, said this would be his biggest project. He completed a partially built, 52-story hotel in New York, the Flatotel Building. He's now constructing a six-story condo hotel, the Empire Ocean Residence, at the site of the former Charles Hotel at 1475 Collins Ave. in South Beach.

The developer hired Alexandria, Va.-based Aviation Management Associates to conduct a study on the project. In the report, Aviation Management concluded Empire World Towers would create some problems for aviation but that those issues could be solved.

BUILDING CHALLENGES

Meanwhile, the building creates significant engineering challenges. Cohen, for instance, said the building will be the tallest concrete structure in the world. ``This is due to the hurricane weather in South Florida.''

Still, some are skeptical.

''Why so high?'' said real estate analyst Michael Cannon, who also questioned if condo buyers would want to live so high. ``I hope they do a good wind test because you have some major atmospheric pressure on a building that high.''
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
MIAballinboi

Likes (Received): 217

wheres the rendering, its in the paper, ill scan it when i get home 2day
MIAballinboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #4
BHK25
Used to be BHK24!!

Likes (Received): 2

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Hopefully the FAA will let it rise.
BHK25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 593

MIAballinboi I didn't see a rendering in the online edition of the Herald.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #6
eatbiscuits

Likes (Received): 0

*anxiously waits for a rendering*
eatbiscuits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #7
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

Wow. Two 1,200 footers. That is awesome.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #8
Aessotariq
esoteric to the max!

Likes (Received): 5

Kinda dark and grainy, but...

Old May 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Dale

Likes (Received): 792

You know, I dont think I'd mind if they were a dark-green or a blue. i just don't want them to be black.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #10
brickell

Likes (Received): 573

I agree with Dale. Black may work in New York and Seattle, but Miami is the anti-black when it comes to architecture.
brickell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #11
south florida dave

Likes (Received): 32

wow, how about that? 1,200 ft.

i hate to say it though, i seriously doubt these will get built at 1,200ft. sounds like the developer has already conceded he'd live with 900ft. not that i'd complain about that, mind you.

i really hope the faa let's this pass. i'd love to see miami with a 1,000 footer. or in this case, 2 1,000 footers.

awesome news!
south florida dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #12
south florida dave

Likes (Received): 32

& i agree with dale & brickell, black just doesn't work in miami. i doubt black would be the color they use, though. probably just a poor rendering or poor copy of the rendering.
south florida dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #13
lazar22b

This is incredibly great news for Miami. I really hope the FAA will allow this structure to rise.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #14
Rx727sfl2002
BANNED

the rendering i saw looked much better than that and the buildings where connected similiar to the lynx project....
Rx727sfl2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #15
JEmanuel56

Likes (Received): 18

@@@@@ man mouths would drop when people drive from sobe to cbd and see the miami wall and in the middle of it all BAM these two GOD-FATHER of them all buildings @@@@@@@
JEmanuel56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #16
Aessotariq
esoteric to the max!

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell
I agree with Dale. Black may work in New York and Seattle, but Miami is the anti-black when it comes to architecture.
Black isn't "tropical" enough.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #17
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx727sfl2002
the rendering i saw looked much better than that and the buildings where connected similiar to the lynx project....
What color were they ?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #18
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 96

whoa but i must warn people every big boom always gets atleast one big project like this and it never gets built.but lets hope.and isn't cohen one of the partners with leviev and boymelgreen.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #19
Dale

^ Well, maybe we can now take Met 3 for granted and then proceed to stress out about this project.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #20
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 96

I WISH THEY just build the circular tower,because it reminds me of westin peachtree
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote