SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Welcome, everyone!

18K views 67 replies 22 participants last post by  Taller, Better 
#1 ·
Please join us in this exciting new forum dedicated to the San Francisco Bay region! I think it is long overdue, and look forward to seeing some news reaching the rest of us on developments there! :cheers:

#3 ·
Say Hi to your new moderator Animo!!

Animo has kindly offered to help us by moderating the new San Francisco sub forum! The forum has come about from his help and suggestions, and I have confidence that this is going to be an exciting new forum for Bay Area members. Feel free to contact Animo (or myself if you like) at any time with ideas and suggestions. :cheers:

#6 ·
I am going to clean it up since right now the current topics are a mess and too hard to maintain updates since all projects are grouped together in a single thread. Don't worry since it will be all sorted out once Taller, Better and I will be able to fix some issues regarding the new section. :)

#14 ·
Hmmm, I like the new location of this thread but does the forum have to be titled "San Francisco"?? Will it be changed to "SF Bay Area" with specific threads for SF, SJ and OAK?
This is a joke, right? Why does this "San Francisco" subforum even exist? None of the development threads contained within were that busy to begin with. We'd be better off with a California subforum.
Hi there!

Common guys its only been a day or two and we are still creating the proper sections. I am working with Taller, Better on improving this sub-forum and both of us are new to this so it will take some experimentation and lots of time to do it. :)

Some updates:

Yesterday, I just finished segregating and organizing all thread topics from the West Coast section for transfer to this section (i.e. photo threads, developments, categorizing it by SF vs. other Bay Area cities, etc.). Trust me it took a lot of time and I had 6 pages (Microsoft word) of thread links to be move by the Admin.

Changes will be made but it won't happen overnight. I would appreciate a little patience as this is kinda new to me too.

Thank you and have a good day. :)

#19 ·
I will say if it wasn't for San Francisco there wouldn't be a lot of other people living in the Bay Area. As such, this is a unique area in that the most populous city is no where near the most famous, visited or thought of city in this region. But finally the nation's 6th largest area of people in an area of land has its own thread.

#21 ·
Guys, please have a little patience with what Animo is doing here. If you look at the titles of the city subforums here, they are named after the main city of the metropolitan region:
New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto, etc.... This makes for an instant visibility for SSC viewers around the world. We know that all of those cities are made up of metropolitan regions all around them; New York alone has vast urban areas around it. In my city, Toronto, one of our suburbs called Mississauga is the fifth largest city in Canada, yet the title of the urban sub-forum is Toronto, because that is the urban city name that is most well known for the region.
This is a chance to show off your Bay area development and really make this sub forum shine, so please don't work against it simply because the title is not all-inclusive. If everyone in every city behaved that way, none of our SSC city sub-forums would work. So, please get behind Animo and work for the good of the new subforum. Thanks, all, and a big thanks to Animo for his hard work in getting this off the ground!! :cheers:

#22 ·
Guys, please have a little patience with what Animo is doing here. If you look at the titles of the city subforums here, they are named after the main city of the metropolitan region:
New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto, etc.... This makes for an instant visibility for SSC viewers around the world.
Thanks Animo!

But Taller, Better I have to respectfully disagree. The SF Bay is more analogous to the DC/Baltimore and Tampa/St Petersburg areas in that there is more than one major metro. And surprise! Both of those aforementioned areas have a thread heading that reflects more than one major metro.

#25 ·
Krudmonk, you seem to have misunderstood my analogy. The Greater Toronto Area is composed of many regions, including such places as Hamilton, Scarborough, Missisauga, etc... I have not forgotten about Hamilton, or any of the others, nor of their distinctive characters (and not only Hamilton has distinct characteristics). My point was the anchor city is Toronto, and that is why the subforum is called "Toronto". What city has more important suburbs than New York City? Yet, being the anchor city that is the basic name the forum is given. It is a tad insulting to refer to the entire SSC membership as "clueless rubes" simply because they know of the name San Francisco moreso than other cities in the region. I am sure those "clueless rubes" know more about their own regions than you do, too. This is an international website, not strictly a local one.

Animo is the moderator here now, and I am sure he will work with all the members to try and make everyone feel comfortable about the new subforum. I know everyone will want to have a say in the direction it goes, and we can iron out details as we go along. I do hope that no one has made up their mind to endlessly fight against the idea of a sub-forum, however, as petty regionalism can sink a forum faster than anything. If changes have to be made, we can work on them, but please give the fledgling forum a chance to sprout!
Thank you, and let's enjoy getting this forum on its feet!

#26 ·
It is a tad insulting to refer to the entire SSC membership as "clueless rubes" simply because they know of the name San Francisco moreso than other cities in the region. I am sure those "clueless rubes" know more about their own regions than you do, too. This is an international website, not strictly a local one.
Yeah, which is why I said this:
I find it absurd that you see it necessary to pander on a forum such as this, where people actually have a sense of geography beyond that of the laymen.

#28 ·
I know everyone is anxious for representation so to those who are complaining right now will have to wait for my detailed PM later in the afternoon. I'll give you guys the details from there and then I'll post a detailed plan here so that we can all get into the program: which is making this forum active and going!

Thanks.

#30 ·
Naturally, we welcome constructive suggestions and criticisms, as any new forum has to start somewhere, and then evolve. For those of you who do not know why I am participating, I'm one of the SSC administrators, and my primary responsibility is the North American forums. Please feel free to pm myself, or animo at any time if you have suggestions, or concerns, and let's look forward to seeing Animo's ideas for this new forum! If we need to make changes, we'll make them. Nothing is set in stone... we are just planting the seeds of a new sub forum! :cheers:
Thanks guys. I know this is still a work in progress.

#29 ·
Naturally, we welcome constructive suggestions and criticisms, as any new forum has to start somewhere, and then evolve. For those of you who do not know why I am participating, I'm one of the SSC administrators, and my primary responsibility is the North American forums. Please feel free to pm myself, or animo at any time if you have suggestions, or concerns, and let's look forward to seeing Animo's ideas for this new forum! If we need to make changes, we'll make them. Nothing is set in stone... we are just planting the seeds of a new sub forum! :cheers:

#31 ·
Proposed organization of the forum

San Francisco Bay Area

Urban Issues

• San Francisco Projects on the Rise
  • Bay Area Projects on the Rise
  • Transportation and Infrastructure

MEMO: These would be the following subsections within the San Francisco forum and its purposes.

San Francisco Projects on the Rise

- Proposals and U/C's in San Francisco
- SF Projects in all different phases, proposals, in-progress, completed.

Bay Area Projects on the Rise

- Proposals and U/Cs all around SF Bay Area
- All urban issues outside the SF city limits in all different phases, proposals, in-progress, completed.

The Economy, Transportaton and Infrastructure

- Urban Facilities (highways, bridges, tunnels, mass transit, aviation, maritime, etc.)
- Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues throughout the Bay Area

Main Forum

MEMO: The main forum will serve as our "Skybar" since I believe we all need to get along and start without the regionalism that is very prevalent in many of us. Plus, we need to attract more people and fellow SSC members to this section.

- Cityscapes/Photography threads
- Tourism Q&A's
- Greeting's
- Rules and Regulations
- Out of topic threads: sports, weather, skybar type questions, etc.

#35 ·
San Francisco Bay Area

Urban Issues

• San Francisco Projects on the Rise
  • Bay Area Projects on the Rise
  • Transportation and Infrastructure

MEMO: These would be the following subsections within the San Francisco forum and its purposes.

San Francisco Projects on the Rise

- Proposals and U/C's in San Francisco
- SF Projects in all different phases, proposals, in-progress, completed.

Bay Area Projects on the Rise

- Proposals and U/Cs all around SF Bay Area
- All urban issues outside the SF city limits in all different phases, proposals, in-progress, completed.
Am I to understand that there will only be two main threads for construction updates: One for SF and one for everyone else? If so will we have to create a new "San Jose" or "Oakland" thread within the "Bay Area Projects"?

URBAN ISSUES
-->SF Projects
-->Bay Area Projects
---->San Jose Projects
---->Oakland Projects
---->Santa Rosa Projects

If so this is a bad idea and I'll tell you why: I had the West Coast Dev thread as a favorite on my browser so I could easily access the SJ thread. Under this new scenario I will now favorite the Bay Area thread and completely bypass SF rather than clicking on "Bay Area" and "San Jose" to access the thread I want.

It should look like this:

URBAN ISSUES
-->SF Projects
-->San Jose Projects
-->Oakland Projects
-->Santa Rosa Projects
-->Other Bay Area Projects

#32 · (Edited)
My message to everybody:

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for being a member in this forum and participating in our section. It is an honour for myself to represent the SF Bay Area since this is where I grew up and I keep on calling as "home".

Secondly, I would like to ask everyone to participate in creating and making this forum alive and interesting since it's not just the job of the Administrators and the Moderators. Also, I know that everyone will like to be represented in here and that is all fine; but you also have to remember that its only been 3 days that this section was created. Plans are being made and ideas are all welcome! It would be great if people create threads that pertains to the proper proposed sections.

Thirdly, we all have individual lives and responsibilities outside this forum and I know that changes can be slow but I promise that its going to happen. We are still in the process of transferring and merging threads from the West Coast section to this forum and this can only be done by the Administrator. We have to give credit for Taller, Better since his going to do it. Also, its not an easy job and it takes up his personal time and let's wait for a couple of days or weeks until it gets done.

Finally, I still plead patience, patience, and more patience to everyone since threads such as "Development News" will be scrap and purge to oblivion to give way to a better format. Our forum is still a work in progress and it will surely be an interesting one when we are done will all the changes.

Thank you,

Animo
San Francisco Moderator

#34 · (Edited)
In lieu of the above, I just explained all my intentions about the original threads. They will be deleted or merge and I renamed those for reference purposes only, since the contents of those threads includes some topics from the West Coast section that has no purpose or already dead.

The name should include San Francisco or be called "San Francisco Bay Area" and not just the "Bay Area" since really this is a regional issue. The main purpose of this forum is to attract more users from SF Bay and not just people from San José.

"Development News" will be scrap and purge to oblivion to give way to a better format.
I agree with everyone that this subforum should be called Bay Area. All of the cities in the Bay Area comprise 4000 square miles. Of that, the city of San Francisco takes up less than 50 square miles, or less than 1% of the Bay Area. The total population of the Bay Area is 7.1 million. Of that, San Francisco has 800,000 residents, about 11% of the population. The vast majority of the people taking part in this subforum do not live in San Francisco.

Aside from that, why was "Santa Clara County" added to the title of the San Jose development thread? There was already a "Silicon Valley Development News" thread, was being used for the Santa Clara County topics. Now, which thread is supposed to be used for what?

Silicon Valley = Santa Clara Valley = Santa Clara County.... FYI.

#33 ·
I agree with everyone that this subforum should be called Bay Area. All of the cities in the Bay Area comprise 4000 square miles. Of that, the city of San Francisco takes up less than 50 square miles, or less than 1% of the Bay Area. The total population of the Bay Area is 7.1 million. Of that, San Francisco has 800,000 residents, about 11% of the population. The vast majority of the people taking part in this subforum do not live in San Francisco.

Aside from that, why was "Santa Clara County" added to the title of the San Jose development thread? There was already a "Silicon Valley Development News" thread, was being used for the Santa Clara County topics. Now, which thread is supposed to be used for what?

Silicon Valley = Santa Clara Valley = Santa Clara County.... FYI.

#38 ·
One member of the San José thread even suggested it:

someone should make forums for the earthquakes stadium, convention center expansion, and the Diridon station... having all this stuff in one forum makes things boring and difficult to find information about projects....
This will make everyone participate in other projects and explore the rest of the Bay Area. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.