SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Santa Rosa: Infrastructure and Urban Planning

102K views 175 replies 14 participants last post by  ElDudarinodotcom 
#1 ·
Santa Rosa bike bridge could cost $20 million
By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

The projected costs of a pedestrian and bicycle bridge spanning Highway 101 between Santa Rosa Junior College and Coddingtown mall have soared to as much as $20 million, more than double original estimates.

The new projections may be a significant factor in the Santa Rosa City Council’s decision Tuesday night about whether to move forward with the project, long sought by the city’s cycling community.

A model of the proposed bicycle and pedestrian bridge over Highway 101

Councilman Gary Wysocky, an avid cyclist, said the project would be an important way to link the college, a key retail shopping area, and the likely future location of the northern Santa Rosa SMART rail station.

“A pedestrian and bicycle bridge connecting to a light rail station — you show me a greener project in America,” Wysocky said.

In 2009, when the city first held community meetings on the project, initial estimates ranged from $5 million to $9 million. The city then commissioned a just-completed feasibility study that put the numbers between $10 million and $14 million.

But a city staff report before the council Tuesday notes that the “full cost to deliver a complete bridge project could be closer to $20 million.”

That’s due to a number of “unknown costs” that could be associated with getting people to and from the bridge, such as bike and walking paths and signs, and higher potential construction costs if funding challenges delay the project further, according to the report.....
source and full article: http://www.watchsonomacounty.com/2010/11/cities/santa-rosa-bike-bridge-could-cost-20-million/

#94 ·
I've been to the "temporary" Santa Rosa Transit Mall across from City Hall, and I took quite a lot of pictures of the CityBus, Sonoma County Transit, and Mendocino Transit Authority. Yet, I still need to see what kinds of improvements will eventually be added to the Transit Mall: will it have attractive art pieces? Will it have better toilets? Will it have better access for the handicapped? Too many questions still linger over my head on that one.

#95 ·
Boudin coming to SR

Design board OKs revised plans for Montgomery Village Boudin SF bakery

An artist's rendering of the proposed Boudin SF bakery site at Montgomery Village.

By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 4:09 p.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 4:09 p.m.

A revised plan to build a Boudin SF bakery at Montgomery Village Shopping Center in Santa Rosa has won final approval from the city's Design Review Board.

The board voted 5-0 last week to approve David Codding's plans for the new 7,000-square-foot building, which will be leased by the restaurant chain known for its chowder-filled bread-bowls.
The new plan includes more trees, wider building overhangs and additional outdoor seating, Codding said.
The building will be 36 percent smaller than the former home of Copperfield's Books, which Codding demolished earlier this year to make way for Boudin and additional parking.
About 1,800 square feet of the building has yet to be leased, and would be appropriate for a coffee or juice shop, Codding said
A previous version of the project modeled after the chain's popular bakery at Fisherman's Wharf was rejected by the board as "corporate," "hokey" and a poor fit for Santa Rosa. Codding Construction broke ground on the project Tuesday. It expects to have the shell completed by January and the bakery open by April, Codding said.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...?Title=Montgomery-Village-Boudin-SF-design-OK

#96 ·
Woohoo! Boudin at last in Sonoma County! That would be a fun addition to Montgomery Village indeed, making it a better place to shop and dine. I just hope though that La Boulange will also head to Santa Rosa too.

#97 ·
I agree La Boulange would be nice. I think Santa Rosa also needs a Elephant bar or Cheese Cake Factory. Something big like that needs to go in by the coddingtown mall where the los robles was demolished. There would be ample parking and plenty off room. Plus right off the freeway!

#98 ·
^^ Sounds good for a location. And by the way, what shops could be heading to Coddingtown because when I went there the last time, it seemed like it's still "dead"? I mean, Gottschalks was gone, so were Life Uniform and other good shops, and what's left: discount stores, something that Simon Malls may not be satisfied to have.

#99 ·
Target is planned to open in the Gottschalks building, and BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse recently opened up. Along with Whole Foods, which opened in 2010, these stores should bring many more people to the mall which should in turn attract new retail. Codding town is going for the 30 to 60 crowd and plans high end retail stores.

#100 ·
ElDudarinodotcom said:
Target is planned to open in the Gottschalks building, and BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse recently opened up. Along with Whole Foods, which opened in 2010, these stores should bring many more people to the mall which should in turn attract new retail. Codding town is going for the 30 to 60 crowd and plans high end retail stores.
Ah awesome. It will be a contrast to Santa Rosa Plaza where the target demographic seems to be the younger crowd... a good mix indeed. I think the Target at Coddingtown would be a good location since it has a lot of gross leasable space, but there are still a lot of empty stores that need to be filled.

#101 ·
Welcome Target!

They have officially demolished the gottshauks building to prepare for the new Target coming to Coddingtown.

What are your thoughts on Target coming to this part of Santa Rosa?

Any fun memories from Coddingtown you have?

I always enjoyed Christmas Shopping there but i think Target will be a great fit and will bring in a bunch of traffic for that mall and hopefully new development for the area.

#102 ·
The Target is great for the mall and that area. The Coddingtown Area certainly isn't upscale, so the Target is a perfect fit for the Demographic. I was in Rosa for Thanksgiving and took a drive to Coddingtown. It's great to see how much it's changed. The Whole Foods, BJ's, and the remodel of the exterior of the mall are really changing the feel of Coddingtown. Things are looking up. Now if only we could get a Nordstrom and some upscale stores to either Coddingtown or the Plaza....

Speaking of the Santa Rosa Plaza...the remodel of that mall looks great too.

While cruzing downtown I saw that a new headquarters for the Luther Burbank Savings was nearly completed at the old Traverso's site, and the five story low-income housing project on Riley being built by Futrell (same developer as the hopefully soon to be built Museum on the square) was up to the first floor.

#103 ·
More development in the works for Coddingtown

Dick's Sporting Goods eyes Los Robles site at Coddingtown

By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 4:17 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 7:10 p.m.
Dick's Sporting Goods, the nation's largest sports and outdoor-gear chain, is planning to open a store in Santa Rosa just south of Coddingtown Mall, on the site of the former Los Robles Lodge.

The company recently signed a lease to occupy a 50,000-square-foot building to be constructed at the intersection of Cleveland and Edwards avenues, Kirstie Moore, development director at Codding Enterprises, confirmed Thursday.

Codding Enterprises' desire to construct a new retail building at the site is no surprise. The company submitted preliminary plans for a retail project to the city earlier this year, but didn't name a tenant.

Moore said the project was "consistent with the neighborhood." The property just south of the mall fronts Highway 101 and backs up to a small apartment complex.

Dick's, a publicly-traded company based in Pittsburgh, has more than 500 stores around the United States. Next year, it plans to open its first Sonoma County store in the East Washington Place shopping center in Petaluma.

The Coddingtown location is expected to open in the first quarter of 2014, Moore said. It will be built by Codding Construction, which is also removing the former Gottschalks building nearby to make way for a Target.

The venerable Los Robles Lodge was an 85-unit hotel and restaurant built in 1962. Long a hot-spot in the city's social scene, it closed in 2006.

Oakland-based developer BayRock Residential first proposed building 80 units of housing, then 102 on the 3.5-acre site. But in the midst of the recession, the city rejected the project with an eye toward preserving the site for a retail project that would someday bring in sales tax revenue.

Codding Enterprises purchased the site in 2010, demolished the vacant building, and began planning to develop it.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20121220/BUSINESS/121229935/1036/business?Title=Dick-s-Sporting-Goods-coming-to-Santa-Rosa-

#104 ·
^^ Very interesting. I didn't know that Dick's is opening up shops in Petaluma and Santa Rosa... I saw one being constructed right now in Daly City at Serramonte Mall. Perhaps this will ramp up the competition for sports stores even more, with Sports Authority and Big 5 already doing well in that category.

#105 ·
First some really upsetting news...then some not so upsetting, but not that exciting news. Both are on the Hugh Futrell front. Futrell really is a weasel of a developer. He has no problem screwing over Santa Rosa and its residents, so long as it benefits his bank account.

Residential component dropped from proposal for Santa Rosa's former AT&T building

By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 3:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, May 3, 2013 at 7:08 a.m.

A downtown developer is downsizing his plans for the former AT&T building in Santa Rosa because he's under the gun to get the long-delayed project moving this summer.

Hugh Futrell is asking the city to let him chop five stories off what had been a 10-story mixed-use tower dubbed Museum on the Square, eliminating entirely the project's residential component.

The change is needed to simplify the financing and speed up construction of the project to prevent tenants for the office space from pulling out of the deal, Futrell said.

"We still believe this is a critically transformative project for downtown Santa Rosa," Futrell said.

The city's former redevelopment agency purchased the long-vacant AT&T building in 2007 for $3 million. The plan was to find a developer to revitalize the windowless concrete structure, which many viewed as an eyesore in the heart of downtown.

Futrell partnered with TLCD Architecture to design a glass-clad building housing the Sonoma County Museum and a restaurant on the first floor, with four stories of offices above. On top of that, they proposed five stories with 43 apartments.

But the challenging financing environment and demise of the redevelopment agency conspired to repeatedly stall the project. The 2010 contract to sell the building to Futrell for $2.1 million has been extended three times, most recently through the end of this year...
Full article: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130502/ARTICLES/130509881/1350?Title=Residential-component-dropped-from-proposal-for-Santa-Rosa-s-former-AT-T-building

Six-story apartment building for seniors proposed for Santa Rosa

By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.

Santa Rosa developer Hugh Futrell is planning a six-story downtown apartment building for 140 low-income seniors.

The $30 million project on Fourth Street near Brookwood Avenue will include a medical center and other services for seniors on the first floor, features Futrell says are crucial for an aging population.

“The exploding demographic of low- and very-low income elderly has created an urgent need for affordable housing linked to affordable preventive medical care and supportive services,” Futrell in a statement.

The project is another example of how developers are rethinking what they can build in response to a real estate market still recovering from a historic collapse and a tight lending environment heavily reliant on tax credit financing for low income housing.

Futrell is currently building a five-story low-income project on Humboldt Street. He also recently scaled back his Museum on the Square project at the former AT&T building, eliminating five stories of apartments in an effort to close the deal and begin construction in August.

Futrell has owned the vacant three-quarters-acre lot at 888 Fourth Street for about five years. In 2008 he won approval for build a seven-story building with 52-market rate condominiums. The recession killed that deal, so Futrell later tried to resurrect it as 116 units of rental housing. That also went nowhere.

Then last year, he began talking to two potential partners to take the project in a new direction...
Full article: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130504/ARTICLES/130509762/1350?Title=Six-story-apartment-building-for-seniors-proposed-for-Santa-Rosa
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#106 ·
Santa Rosa council approves scaled back Museum on the Square project

By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 3:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 9:39 p.m.
Though disappointed to see the top five stories disappear, Santa Rosa City Council members unanimously supported a scaled back version of the Museum on the Square project Tuesday.

The council agreed to sell the windowless former AT&T building downtown to developer Hugh Futrell even though he is no longer proposing to turn it into a 10-story tower topped by 43 apartments.

Instead, Futrell says he'll turn the concrete structure into a glass-clad building with museum and restaurant space on the first floor and four stories of office space above.

Councilwoman Julie Combs said she was “experiencing a tremendous sense of loss” from the elimination of the residential units, which she said could have brought “excitement and vibrancy” to the downtown. Nevertheless she said the smaller project would go a long way toward improving that area of Courthouse Square.

“I think this is one of those instances when we don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good,” Combs said.

Futrell explained that he needed to simplify the project to get it financed, purchased and under construction by August to ensure his anchor tenants can occupy the building by next year.

Council members praised Futrell for his commitment to downtown and his tenacity for the sticking with the project despite many hurdles. The building was purchased by the city's redevelopment agency in 2007 and was in the process of being sold to Futrell and his partners when the state eliminated its 425 redevelopment agencies. The resulting bureaucratic morass has bogged down the project ever since.

“To have the state turn around and kick him in the butt the way it did, it amazing that he's still involved,” Councilman Jake Ours said.

The financing for the residential component of the project was complex and was also impacted by the federal sequestration affecting the timing of special tax credits for such infill projects, Futrell said.

The amended agreement calls for Futrell to close escrow by the end of August. The new sale price will be based on a new appraisal that is underway. The proceeds will not go directly to the city, but will instead be distributed among various taxing agencies in the area, including schools and other districts.

Even though it won't build housing, the project will spur demand for housing downtown, Futrell said.

“We need both jobs and housing. But jobs are the fundamental determinant of housing demand,” Futrell said.

The long vacant building is considered by many to be an eyesore and a major impediment to energizing the downtown. “We need to make that corner vibrant. That corner has been hamstringing our ability to revitalize Courthouse Square for how many years?” Councilman Gary Wysocky said.

City staff estimate the revised project could create 600 jobs and generate $60 million of annual economic activity for the city. Instead of $26 million, the new project will cost $16.5 million.

Mayor Scott Bartley praised Futrell for his personal investment in the project and supported the goal of keeping good-paying jobs downtown. But he said he worried that time was running out for the project.

“I hate to say it, this is sort of a hail Mary attempt to save this,” Bartley said.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130507/ARTICLES/130509622/1350?Title=Santa-Rosa-approves-scaled-back-Museum-on-the-Square

#107 ·
Question then: for the former AT&T Building, what kinds of offices and/or shops will be placed in there? It is located next to the Transit Mall and across from Santa Rosa Plaza, so I can see a lot of commercial activity that the building can be used in the future... Plus, I wonder who are the most influential developers in Santa Rosa because it is pretty close to Novato, has more people than San Rafael and Novato combined, and I like the commercial vibe it offers.

#108 ·
A large chuck of the office space is going to be leased by TLCD architecture, which designed the building. The bottom floor is planned as an art gallery for the Sonoma County Museum, as well as a yet unnamed restaurant space.

Recently Hugh Futrell has been the most active developer in the downtown area. He has recently built the The Burbank condo building, the Downtown Apartments, 201 3rd St office building, 123 4th st condo/retail, 200 4th st office building, and under contruction is the 499 Humboldt st affordable apartments. However, he has fallen through on many of the larger projects.

I guess I can't complain too much about the downsized museum project. It will certainly improve the windowless eyesore that is the AT&T building. I am just frustrated and disappointed that all the large scale, high density projects have gone by the wayside. We just have to hold out hope that with the improving economy a developer will actually move forward with a tall, mixed-use project that the city has been looking for.

#111 ·
Former AT&T building in Santa Rosa cleared for sale
August 30, 2013

Santa Rosa has been cleared to sell the former AT&T building downtown to a developer with long-delayed plans to transform the concrete monolith into a modern, glass-clad office building.

The state Department of Finance on Friday afternoon informed local officials that the sale, held up for more than a year by the demise of the city's redevelopment agency, could proceed.

“It feels good to be at this point,” said a relieved Dave Gouin, the city's director of economic development and housing. “If we can close in the next two weeks, it'll be huge for this community.”

The project, known as Museum on the Square for the gallery space once planned for the ground floor, has been the city's highest profile economic development effort for years.

Mayor Scott Bartley said the prospect of finally getting new businesses into a remodeled building in what is now the “deadest part of our downtown” would be a huge boost for the city.

“It's fantastic news that this thing came together and we can get moving on it,” Bartley said.

The decision from the state comes not a moment too soon. Developer Hugh Futrell has said he needed to complete the sale by the end of August in order to keep a key anchor tenant. The city now anticipates closing the deal by mid-September, which Futrell has indicated would satisfy the tenant, Gouin said.

Futrell was out of town and could not be reached for comment.

Now that the sale has been approved, Gouin said he was free to identify the anchor tenant as Luther Burbank Savings. The fast-growing bank, which is expanding its mortgage lending business, is looking to move out of offices it leases on Fourth Street east of D Street, Gouin said.

The other major tenant is TLCD Architecture, which designed the project. It started out as a 10-story tower with five stories of residential atop five stories of office and commercial space in the existing structure. The city redevelopment agency bought the eyesore for $3 million in 2007 and agreed to sell to Futrell in 2010 for $1.9 million.

But the tight lending environment and challenges inherent in financing a mixed-use building were compounded by the demise of the state's redevelopment agencies. In May, Futrell was forced to lop the apartments off the top of the building and focus on remodeling the existing structure. At the time Bartley likened the revised project to a “Hail Mary.”

Weeks later, the Sonoma County Museum, which had plans for a first floor art museum, pulled out of the project, citing the delays and continued uncertainty surrounding the project.

Futrell has said he's not worried about finding a new ground-floor tenant for the building.

State finance officials had called into question the extensions the city had granted to Futrell for the sale, arguing that it should have been moving more quickly to liquidate the property to generate funds to be shared among various taxing districts, such as schools.

Gouin said the city stressed to state officials that the best way for the city to carry out its obligations to wind down its redevelopment agency and disperse the former agency's assets was to let the sale to Futrell move forward.

The state required the city to get an updated appraisal for the property, which it did, Gouin said. The new appraisal came in lower than the old one, however. The new appraisal sets the vacant building's value at $913,000 to $1.2 million, Gouin said.

That means the city will have to renegotiate the $1.9 million sale price with Futrell and his lenders, likely settling on a price somewhere within the appraisal range, Gouin said.

Bartley said he believes Futrell has completed construction drawings and review by the city building department and things should start happening on the property soon after the sale is complete.

“I think he's going to be getting things moving as quickly as he can,” Bartley said.
http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20130830/articles/130839943?title=Former-AT&T-building-in-Santa-Rosa-cleared-for-sale

#112 ·
#114 ·
South Santa Rosa Plans:

Kaiser plans new medical building in Santa Rosa
By MARTIN ESPINOZA
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
October 9, 2013, 5:39 PM
link: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20131009/business/131009473

Kaiser Permanente is working on plans to build a new medical hub in southwest Santa Rosa, a move that would provide greater medical services to its members in that part of the city and improve its position to serve newly insured patients under President Barack Obama’s health care law.

Sources say Kaiser is considering erecting a medical office building in a business park along Northpoint Parkway, off Stony Point Road. Kaiser officials have been in talks with Santa Rosa community development officials for several months.

Kaiser looked at multiple sites before zeroing in on Northpoint Parkway, said Chuck Regalia, the city’s community development director. Kaiser has had several discussions with the city about the project, but has not yet submitted an application for design review, he said.

“They have to go where land is available, so this is a good spot,” Regalia said. “That area hasn’t seen much development for a while. ... It’s ready for that sort of thing.”

Kaiser is conducting due diligence on a local property where it hopes to construct a “medical office building of some type,” spokesman David Ebright said. He would not reveal any details about the project because it had not yet received approval from Kaiser’s corporate board of directors.

“Without board approval, nothing is going to happen,” Ebright said, adding that Kaiser’s board of directors could take up the matter in November.

The building would serve both existing and new members, he said. Regalia said he was told the building would accommodate 40 to 45 health care providers.

Kaiser’s plans for a medical office building come at a time of increasing competition between the largest health care providers in Sonoma County.

Next week, Sutter Medical Center of Santa Rosa will break ground on a three-story, 80,000-square-foot medical office building that will be located next to its new hospital under construction on Mark West Springs Road.

Last month, Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, which is owned and operated by St. Joseph Health of Sonoma County, completed the first phase of its $15 million emergency department renovation and expansion.

A Kaiser medical building on Northpoint Parkway would give it a beachhead in an area served by Santa Rosa Community Health Centers, which operates several clinics in southwest Santa Rosa, including a general medical clinic on Lombardi Court, a teen clinic at Elsie Allen High School and a children’s clinic near Stony Point and Sebastopol roads.

St. Joseph operates a dental clinic on Lombardi Court as well as an urgent care center off Sebastopol Road on Corporate Center Parkway.

A Kaiser campus at Northpoint Parkway would also put the health care giant closer to Palm Drive Hospital and its affiliated physicians in Sebastopol. Tom Harlan, Palm Drive’s CEO, said he didn’t think a new Kaiser medical office building in southwest Santa Rosa would hurt Palm Drive.

“I don’t think it will have a significant impact on us,” Harlan said. “They already have a huge market share in this region, and I’m sure they need the facility.”

#116 ·
Not sure about the wine museum, but it could be a good tourist draw. From the second page in the article it sounds like it could have a goof collection. Hopefully it really gets started in 8 weeks :cheers:

Wine museum planned for old AT&T building in downtown Santa Rosa

A 15,000-square-foot wine museum will be featured in a renovation of the former AT&T building in downtown Santa Rosa, a long-awaited project that is now expected to start work in about two months.

The proposed California Wine Discovery Museum, occupying the building's lower level, would portray the past, present and future of California winemaking and would include wine tasting, said Lindsay Austin, a tech entrepreneur who is heading the nonprofit museum's board.

“It's a big mission,” Austin said, and it depends on raising $2.5 million to acquire the exhibits and build the museum.

If the plan stays on track, the museum will open in early 2015 and would serve as a “good first stop” for the 5 million people who come to Sonoma County for wine tasting each year, Austin said.

Santa Rosa developer Hugh Futrell said his purchase of the five-story concrete monolith on Third Street is expected to close on Wednesday.

Futrell is buying the long-vacant building from the city for $1,046,000, which he said was the midpoint of its appraised values.

City officials are reviewing plans for the demolition and construction permits needed to transform the windowless structure into a glass-clad office building. Futrell said he expects to start work in eight weeks....
full article: http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20131015/articles/131019700?title=Wine-museum-planned-for-AT&T-building

#117 ·
Seems like it could drive some traffic to downtown. Very cool museum IMO. Wouldn't that be cool to finally see it in action! Keeping them crossed. :cheers1:

Not sure about the wine museum, but it could be a good tourist draw. From the second page in the article it sounds like it could have a goof collection. Hopefully it really gets started in 8 weeks :cheers:

full article: http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20...0?title=Wine-museum-planned-for-AT&T-building

#119 ·
The museum project has been value engineered. It seems all the construction in SF has made the cost of glass cladding skyrocket. It still looks alright to me, but compared to the original proposal it is a big disappointment. Still, it is a big improvement over the building's current appearance. The article says consturction should start early 2014....we'll see.

Plans for Santa Rosa's Museum on the Square revised again
By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
December 1, 2013, 1:45 PM

The Museum on the Square is getting yet another make-over, this time a scaling back of a glass facade that is proving too pricey.

Developer Hugh Futrell on Tuesday will ask the Santa Rosa City Council to sign off on a new design for the vacant former AT&T building, slated as the future home of Luther Burbank Savings.

The previous design called for the north side of the building to be covered in a curtain wall, a modern non-load-bearing wall of glass.

But the feverish pace of development in San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area has put a high demand on the window glazing required for that feature, Futrell explained in a letter to the council.

This could delay the project further and jeopardize the ability of Luther Burbank Savings, which must move in by 2014, to occupy the building, he wrote...
full article:http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20131201/articles/131209989

#125 ·
SMART on track for airport station

Looks like we got some movement with SMART

SMART on track for airport station

By Eric Gneckow, Business Journal Staff Reporter
Article: http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/84741/smart-on-track-for-airport-station/

SANTA ROSA — Construction of the North Bay’s commuter rail system took another significant step forward on Wednesday after a major Bay Area transit committee approved $16.7 million in new funding to construct a station near the Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport north of Santa Rosa.

If finalized by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, that regional transit funding would be the final piece in the estimated $21.8 million project to extend Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit’s northern terminus four miles north to Airport Boulevard. . .

Read more

#126 ·
TLCD architecture seems to be becoming the go-to firm for good design in Sonoma County. I'm liking alot of the projects they have on their website. They also designed the 'Museum on the Square' and the nearby Luther Burbank Savings branch.

More renderings here http://www.tlcd.com/americanagcredit.html

Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 1:14 pm
AgCredit plans 120,000-square-foot ‘ag center’
Lender would co-locate with farming trade groups
By Eric Gneckow, Business Journal Staff Reporter

SANTA ROSA — American AgCredit is moving forward with a long-held vision to cast its new Santa Rosa headquarters as a hub for other agriculture organizations, more than doubling the planned size with a single 120,000-square-foot office building near Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport.

The lender had originally planned a multibuilding campus at the site, located at the corner of Aviation and Airport boulevards. A 50,000-square-foot headquarters building would have been the first of a two-phase approach, located on a 3.5-acre parcel the company purchased for construction at the corner of Skylane and Aviation Boulevard in October of last year. That acquisition included a two-year option to purchase an adjacent parcel of the same size.

Yet the rapid growth of the institution, which has $6 billion in assets, helped inspire talk of accelerating those long-term plans with a single large structure. The institution purchased the adjacent parcel this year and plans to break ground in spring, according to Terry Lindley, senior vice president of marketing...
Full article: http://www.tlcd.com/americanagcredit.html

#127 ·
Target at Coddingtown to open in July
PRESS DEMOCRAT STAFF
January 17, 2014, 9:52 AM

Target announced Friday that its new store under construction at Coddingtown Mall in Santa Rosa will open in July.

The store will employ about 200 workers, said Cary Strouse, Target's senior vice president of stores in the Western region.

Target will host job fairs for candidates to apply and interview for open positions about two months before the store opens. Candidates may also apply online at Target.com/careers or at kiosks in all Target stores approximately three months before the Coddingtown store opens.

The 143,000-square-foot store will include fresh produce and meat, pre-packaged baked goods, a pharmacy, optical department and a Starbucks.

The store will be the fourth Target in Sonoma County, joining stores in Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park and Petaluma.
More Info: http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20140117/business/140119641
Seems they are picking up the pace a bit on this target. Looking forward to seeing Coddingtown to be complete again. Anyone have update on the Dick's Sporting Goods that is suppose to be build where Los Robles was?

#128 ·
Looks like this is the answer to my question on my last post!
Los Robles sign makes way for Dick's Sporting Goods
By CHRIS SMITH
January 29, 2014, 5:49 PM

A tired yet towering piece of Sonoma County history came down Wednesday with demolition of the sign that for decades drew discriminating diners, dancers, drinkers and denizens of every conceivable banquet-hall assembly to the former Los Robles Lodge.

The sign was removed to make way for a new Dick's Sporting Goods store, which will be built outside Coddingtown Mall at the intersection of Cleveland and Edwards avenues.

Wreckers atop a cherry-picker tore away at the landmark sign that, along with two heritage oaks or robles, were all that remained of the restaurant, bar and 105-room motor lodge alongside Highway 101 just south of Coddingtown.

The sign went up in 1962, the year the late Claus Neumann and Tony Vicini opened the lodge and welcomed the public into its elegant dinner house.

All of the buildings were scraped away more than three years ago. The city has required the preservation of the pair of 150-year-old oaks that inspired Los Robles' name.
Read More: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20140129/business/140129496

#130 ·
Work to start soon on Museum on the Square in Santa Rosa
By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
March 15, 2014, 3:00 AM

Construction is to begin soon on the long-delayed Museum on the Square project, which even in its scaled-back form is expected to stimulate revitalization of downtown Santa Rosa.

City building officials issued a permit last week for the project, which promises to transform the vacant former AT&T building into a glass-clad office building and wine museum.

Developer Hugh Futrell signed closing documents on his $11 million construction loan Friday afternoon and expects work on the interior of the building to begin this month, he said.

“My partners and I are extremely excited about the project, more so than ever,” Futrell said. “We think it will be transformative, and we know our tenants agree.”

Work on the shell of the hulking structure should be finished by the end of the year, with tenants in place early in 2015, he said...
Full Article: http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20140315/articles/140319654

#131 ·
American AgCredit is also set to break ground on their new headquarters...
A lot of new office space in the near future for Santa Rosa :)

American AgCredit plans to give the green light to project general contractor Jim Murphy & Associates of Santa Rosa to break ground on the office building at the end of April, according to Don Tomasi, a principal architect of project designer TLCD Architecture.

Based on favorable preliminary design review meetings with county officials and limited comments received on needed changes, the project team is moving forward with design review and building permit processes simultaneously, he said.

“The owners had a tight timeframe from day one,” Mr. Tomasi said.

Completion of the three-story structure, to be built on 7.5 acres at the northwest corner of Airport and Aviation boulevards , is anticipated in November 2015...
Full Article: http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/89045/large-santa-rosa-office-projects-to-begin/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.