SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San José Development News

6M views 34K replies 245 participants last post by  dirt patch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
San Jose Development News

San Jose Skyline Panoramic by SkylineScenes (Bill Cobb), on Flickr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will downtown San Jose ever develop the type of height and density of the downtowns in San Francisco, Oakland, and Sacramento?

See less See more
#24 ·
From 1st ACT's Downtown San Jose: Silicon Valley's City Center

These are part of 1st Act's vision of a new downtown:
Downtwon San Jose today-

Downtown in transition-

Downtown tomorrow-

No skyscrapers per se, but a much more crowded skyline nonetheless. (I really wish SJC would move to Moffet Field, btw). I'll post more pix in the SJ Development thread soon.

#25 ·
absolutely wonderful pictures metropolis thank you, 1st ACT is a welcome friend to SSC. It would be a nice idea to drive along 87 and see tall high rise buildings on both sides of the freeway. Anyone have similar renderings of Downtown San Jose but with some buildings popping out on North First Street as well?

#26 · (Edited)
I remember years ago there was talk of moving SJC to Moffett but it fell through because people under the new proposed flightpath complained. Imagine how much cooler DTSJ would look if the airport had moved. Arggggggggg.
But DTSJ's problems are not so much height-related (though I looooove skyscapers) as they are density related. It's ridiculous how many surface parking lots are downtown!!!!

#27 ·
Alots of short skyscrapers filled in there. I guess San Jose has no place to move the airport so they can go for taller buildings or something like that. I don't see anything taller than 300-350 feet tall. How embarrassing is that Bellevue, WA has a building which is 450 feet tall and have another 450 feet tall building under construction.

#29 ·
North San Jose Height Restrictions

does anyone know what the height limits are in the "Industrial Core" area of the North San Jose plan? It be nice if they could build few 400-500 footers there to headquarter some sillicon valley companies.
I believe the city has a limit of 150 feet in that area, however they can make exceptions in certain cases, there was a proposal for several 30 story high-rises at the site of the Hyatt on N. 1st st., haven't heard of the progress of that project though. I think that if it's not in the flight path there should be no limit but alot of people freak if they hear of anything higher than four stories proposed.

#35 ·
That's what I figured. I assume those NIMBY's were aware that their homes were under the flight paths of a military airfield when they bought their homes though. Modern commercial aviation is much quieter than military (non-stealth) aircraft by all means.

Have Santa Clara County ever really tried to push the case for Moffett Field? You'd think it would be an easy sell politically at the county wide as well as regionally.

#36 ·
I've always said that San Jose, in a way, was a super supped up suburban downtown. It always gave me that feeling of a high classed suburb, but super concentrated.

Saying super that many times in a sentence probably makes me sound stupid, lol.

#38 ·
I've always said that San Jose, in a way, was a super supped up suburban downtown. It always gave me that feeling of a high classed suburb, but super concentrated.

Saying super that many times in a sentence probably makes me sound stupid, lol.
Downtown is a world-apart from the rest of the city in terms of density. While most of downtown was built before 1930, the remainder of the city only appeared after 1975. The good thing is that many of the empty spaces created in the name of urban renewal are finally being developed. In ten years it'll be a much denser, livelier place.

#39 ·
Downtown is a world-apart from the rest of the city in terms of density. While most of downtown was built before 1930, the remainder of the city only appeared after 1975. The good thing is that many of the empty spaces created in the name of urban renewal are finally being developed. In ten years it'll be a much denser, livelier place.
I agree. DTSJ will be much more dense and vibrant in the coming years.