SkyscraperCity Forum banner

San José Development News

6M views 34K replies 245 participants last post by  dirt patch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
San Jose Development News

San Jose Skyline Panoramic by SkylineScenes (Bill Cobb), on Flickr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will downtown San Jose ever develop the type of height and density of the downtowns in San Francisco, Oakland, and Sacramento?

See less See more
#81 ·
I just read the rules you posted, so we should PM forum feedback right? Again, we don't want to cause any problems... we just want to contribute.

Can you guys just post relevant issues and stop complaining? No injustice to San José was shown here. No more issues with name changing and this is a fair warning to all of you. The admins have already thought of banning those who are still disruptive and I have told them to leave you guys alone.

Is it really a big deal to have San José to be the limelight? Just look up at the thread topics and everyone is treated equally. By the way, it was Jan's (forum owner) idea to name it "San Francisco" and I have told them to call it "San Francisco Bay Area" because its really what it's called and to keep it equal for everyone.

If you want more activity in the San José thread (its not a forum), then post more articles and projects instead of trolling around. I have checked some of your members IP's and I saw multiple accounts. I will lock this thread up if its just a topic about your bitching. This is a final warning.

#82 ·
Drove down Race St. today and saw construction in the lot bordered by Light Rail to the south between Parkmoor Ave and Saddle Rack. Does anyone know what's going in there? I was trying to look at the permits for the property but I couldn't find a recent one. Is it more apartments, since the Elements did so well?

BTW I started a blog thinkbiggersanjose.blog.com go check it out!!

#83 ·
Animo, with all due respect we are not the trolls here. We had a really good community going and have contributed a massive amount of data to this forum. All we want is a place that we can post information related to the development of San Jose and just an ounce of respect for what we spent 5 years trying to accomplish.

I kindly ask that you take a step back and try to see this from our shoes. Pretend you have spent hundreds of hours reading and contributing to a forum that has been locked. Of course there are going to be some complaints.

Also please try to understand that most of the people in the old forum did not want to be associated with San Francisco. We are our own city with a unique culture and development processes, so having to log into a main forum with the work San Francisco and seeing half a dozen stickied threads all saying San Francisco somewhere.

Please take this as constructive criticism. We are not trying to cause problems here but just want to have a community like we did before the changes. That is all we are asking for.
Amen!

#85 ·
Does it look like residential?

Drove down Race St. today and saw construction in the lot bordered by Light Rail to the south between Parkmoor Ave and Saddle Rack. Does anyone know what's going in there? I was trying to look at the permits for the property but I couldn't find a recent one. Is it more apartments, since the Elements did so well?

BTW I started a blog thinkbiggersanjose.blog.com go check it out!!

#88 ·
The San Pedro Square Market looks just about ready to start receiving tenants. At the next SJ Eats, anyone that asks should be able to get a tour of the interior. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full opening sometime in the summer to take advantage of the outdoor space.
According to the San Pedro Square Market Facebook page, training for the new bar will start in a week and a half for a July opening. They say that they are 65% leased and they will start having blog postings about the new tenants.

I don't know if the opening is just for the Bar but I would think that it will be a gradual opening for the tenants instead of all at the same time. The new bar will have a license that you can take your drink throughout the San Pedro Square Market as opposed to just the bar itself.

#89 ·
According to the San Pedro Square Market Facebook page, training for the new bar will start in a week and a half for a July opening. They say that they are 65% leased and they will start having blog postings about the new tenants.

I don't know if the opening is just for the Bar but I would think that it will be a gradual opening for the tenants instead of all at the same time. The new bar will have a license that you can take your drink throughout the San Pedro Square Market as opposed to just the bar itself.
I took a look around the site last week before going to the Arena for the Prince concert. It's looking nice, and there doesn't seem to be much work left. Hopefully, it will open soon. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that the main building is different than the one shown in the original designs. The original design showed the building with a rounded corner at the corner of San Pedro/St. John and the style seemed to match the area better. The finished design is more industrial looking than what I was expected.

Also, the original plans showed new building next to the Fallon house and some upgrades to the garage with some booths on the San Pedro side. Does anyone know if this is still in the works? Maybe a Phase II?

#90 ·
I took a look around the site last week before going to the Arena for the Prince concert. It's looking nice, and there doesn't seem to be much work left. Hopefully, it will open soon. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that the main building is different than the one shown in the original designs. The original design showed the building with a rounded corner at the corner of San Pedro/St. John and the style seemed to match the area better. The finished design is more industrial looking than what I was expected.

Also, the original plans showed new building next to the Fallon house and some upgrades to the garage with some booths on the San Pedro side. Does anyone know if this is still in the works? Maybe a Phase II?
They've said that the spot next to the Fallon will be built if first part is successful. They've also listed 13 tenants at sanpedrosquaremarket.com.

#91 ·
USF finds its way to San Jose

The University of San Francisco plans to move its Silicon Valley regional campus from Cupertino to downtown San Jose in August.
The Jesuit university, which has operated the approximately 11,000-square-foot facility at 20085 Stevens Creek Blvd. since 1978, plans to move into more than 14,000 square feet of office space on the second floor of 125 S. Market St. in Cityview Plaza. The building is perched on the western side of downtown’s Cesar Chavez Plaza, across the street from the Fairmont San Jose hotel and San Jose Museum of Art.
Representing USF in the transaction was Jon DeCoite and Erik Hallgrimson, vice president and partner, respectively, at Cassidy Turley CPS. Hallgrimson, a graduate of USF, said the university plans to expand its academic offerings in the larger new location. Representing the landlord, BPG Properties Ltd., in the lease deal were Susan Gregory, Dion Campisi and Jim Beeger, all senior vice presidents at Colliers International.
DeCoite said USF signed a 10-year lease deal for the San Jose location. He declined to discuss financial details of the lease. He said monthly asking lease rates for office space at 125 S. Market St. are around $2.60 per square foot.

Read more: Los Gatos Cinema looks to reel in new owner | Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal

#95 ·
Downtown San Jose parking garage rates likely going up

Great of the city to impede downtown's progress...I'm convinced that most people who work at City Hall never set a foot downtown except for photo ops.

For the record: I'm not a fan of encouraging people to drive downtown but I realize most people drive to downtown. Perhaps the city/VTA should have free Light Rail on nights and weekends?

#97 ·

Great of the city to impede downtown's progress...I'm convinced that most people who work at City Hall never set a foot downtown except for photo ops.

For the record: I'm not a fan of encouraging people to drive downtown but I realize most people drive to downtown. Perhaps the city/VTA should have free Light Rail on nights and weekends?
At least they are keeping the validation program. I agree though, this is very bad timing. I hope the metered parking will still be free on Sun.

#98 ·
South FIRST FRIDAYS Art Walk + SubZERO Festival June 3rd!
from Phantom Galleries by Cherri Lakey
This month's First Friday's art walk is also the 4th Annual SubZERO Festival!

Sean Sczepanik

Steven Sczepanik
Start off the art walk by parking at South Fourth & San Fernando garage and check out KALEID Gallery's feature exhibit (located on ground level of the garage). Sean & Steven have put together an amazing show not to be missed!

Layers of Age in Monster Land
New installation and paintings by Sean Sczepanik & Steven Sczepanik. An exploration of monsters and cartoons from the imagination, referencing mainly Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist, Fright Night, and Hellraiser. Also on view is a display of hands representing fellow artists. Each hand containing a characteristic of each artists’ style.
Artists' Reception: Friday June 3, 7-10pm, free & open to the public
part of the South FIRST FRIDAYS monthly art walk http://www.southfirstfridays.com
Feature exhibition on view through June 25, 2011
KALEID Gallery
88 South Fourth Street
San Jose, CA
info@KALEIDgallery.com / 408-947-1785
http://www.KALEIDgallery.com
Gallery Hours:
Tuesday - Friday, Noon - 7pm
Saturday, Noon - 5pm

Then take a short stroll to 2 new Phantom Galleries exhibitions!!

66 South First St.: Defragmentation 66 by Michele Guieu
Defragmentation 66 is an adaptation of the last installation I’ve made in San Diego: Defragmentation: Rearranging Bits and Pieces of Memory. It is an ongoing project and the occasion to reflect on bits and pieces of my memories, as I am recalling/documenting them. The project originated when I was about to leave San Diego after living there for 6 years. I thought about the different times I’ve left a place in my life. Defragmentation 66 is the first installation I am showing in San Jose since I’ve moved and it represents a link between the two towns – and beyond. The installation is on a smaller scale but uses some essential elements featured in the first version of the show: an ensemble of paintings, a painted background and videos. The videos in Defragmentation 66 are new memories and were taken here, in the bay area. The address number where the show is held, 66, is an interesting symbol in my life: the first time I came to the US, that’s the road I travelled on.
Exhibit on view through August 30th. Visible 24/7 from the sidewalk.

95 South Market St.: Roundels sculptures by Gianfranco Paolozzi

"I was looking in the recycle container full of paper from flexo printing presses.
That’s when I felt the passion again: round surfaces screaming to be used. I looked at them changing on the floor of my studio. I had to use my marks, my moments on the surfaces as a sign of me being there.
That’s when the roundels were born." ~Gianfranco
Exhibit on view through August 30th. Visible 24/7 from the sidewalk.

Then make your way over to the SoFA District for the monthly art walk and 4th Annual SubZERO Subculture Festival!

South FIRST FRIDAYS presents the 4th Annual SubZERO Festival
Focused on emerging and present subcultures thriving in our region, SubZERO is a diy, artistically bent, hi/lo-techno mashup where street meets geek. Come downtown on June 3rd to San Jose's SoFA District from 6pm 'til midnight for an inspired evening of arts & culture. In addition to the South FIRST FRIDAYS monthly art walk you'll find outdoor stages of entertainment plus artists, performers & musicians celebrating the indie creative spirit!

FRIDAY JUNE 3, 2011 from 6pm-midnight
SoFA district in downtown San Jose
(on South First Street between San Carlos & Reed Streets)

http://www.SubZEROFestival.com
http://www.facebook.com/subzerofestival

For full information on all the South FIRST FRIDAYS art venues' exhibitions, please visithttp://www.southfirstfridays.com

#99 ·

I just wrote a post on my blog about parking DT...
http://thinkbiggersanjose.blog.com/2011/06/01/downtown-parking-garage-and-lots-need-varying-rates/

#100 ·
San Jose is a total screw up! San Pedro is a failure from the start without even opening the place. No housing will get started to revive it, and on top of that, the city will charge more for parking. Didn't I say downtown is a failure. Santos, you just went to San Diego, and you just saw how good Downtown San Diego is. San Jose is 25 years behind it.