SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SF 49ers and OAK A's to move to South Bay

14K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  seattleskyline 
#1 ·
I'm actually alright with this, but for whatever reason, probably because I like the SF giants more, and it'd be hard for me if they left lol..

Anyways this is the latest news i'm hearing. Apparently the mayor of SF isn't happy about it, and it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, but it's a problem because the proposed new stadium is said to be a possible location for the Olympics...

Yep, this is getting pretty heavy lol.

The location is supposed to be right next to Great America, with easy access to bart, the freeway, and other various forms of transport.

Here's a video http://cbs5.com/video/?id=18042@kpix.dayport.com

I wanna see some pictures of the area as it is now, I couldn't see much from the video, but it looks pretty. Anyone have some pics they could share?

#6 ·
Me.

San Francisco tried to sue them to stop them using the name.

As far as I'm concerned, they have nothing much to do with the city any more. It would take hours for a city resident to even get to a game.

San Francisco football fans (of which I am NOT one) with any sense now root for the Raiders--those games are a quick BART trip from downtown.

#8 ·
I have a life by the way!

I have no intentions of upsetting any one,and i am sorry if i did upset someone.

I am just stating some facts.

Fact: the 49ers should be called the Santa Clara 49ers, not the San Francisco 49ers

Fact: The 49ers are a pretty good team,
So are the seahawks.

I am just stating facts!

No need to get upset! After all this is just a website on the internet were people can talk about things!

I am not wasting any ones time, if you have time to spend on the internet,then i am sure
a few posts won't be much of a factor!

#19 ·
I have a life by the way!

I have no intentions of upsetting any one,and i am sorry if i did upset someone.

I am just stating some facts.

Fact: the 49ers should be called the Santa Clara 49ers, not the San Francisco 49ers

Why? New England plays at Foxboro; the Cardinals play in Tempe. the Cowboys play in Arlington. The Bills play in Orchard Park. The Redskins play in Landover, Maryland. The Giants and Jets play in New Jersey.

FACT!

#16 ·
While the original post says nothing about the A's the title does. It has been 8 years sinc that post and not much has changed for the A's, they did propose moving to Fremont at one point, but the voters there said no. It seems the A's are keeping their options open at this point, choosing to lease the land in San Jose they would like to use for a stadium, they are likely making their negotiating position better.

The more likely scenario is for the Raiders to leave for LA or San Antonio, and with the municipal land Oakland will then negotiate a better deal with the A's. The A's would like a baseball stadium to be built for them, or to get the development rights around it. Most likely they will stay in Oakland once the Raiders leave.

#23 ·
I agree it's stupid for them to play closer to here than there, but it is what it is now thanks to NFL money's influence. The San Jose Sharks played two seasons in Daly City, the Quakes have played in SF and Oakland, the former and future San Francisco Warriors have played in Oakland and San Jose among other places, the Oakland Raiders began at Kezar, so on and so on...

When the Niners win another Super Bowl, the parade will be down Market Street and a lot of the whining will die down.

#24 ·
I agree it's stupid for them to play closer to here than there, but it is what it is now thanks to NFL money's influence. The San Jose Sharks played two seasons in Daly City, the Quakes have played in SF and Oakland, the former and future San Francisco Warriors have played in Oakland and San Jose among other places, the Oakland Raiders began at Kezar, so on and so on...

When the Niners win another Super Bowl, the parade will be down Market Street and a lot of the whining will die down.
Unless you mean Market St. in SJ, Ca Escapee isn't going to like that. :lol:

#42 ·
I'm not sure if this is just trolling or an inferiority complex, but you have to admit, having 5 Super Bowl trophies is a pretty big deal when you consider only 3 teams (Dallas, SF, Pittsburg), out of 32, have 5 or more trophies.

The older the team = more super bowls!
And by this logic, the Bears (est. 1920) should have more than the 9ers, yet they only have 1. The Lions (est. 1930) are one of the oldest teams in the league and they still haven't won a Super Bowl.

#56 ·
Meanwhile, San Francisco's team, the Raiders, had good news:

The Raiders were poised and energized, and the crowd at the Coliseum was a loud asset. Though there were plenty of red-clad 49ers fans, there didn’t seem to be any of the violence that had been feared. By the end of the game Raiders fans were delirious with happiness and 49ers fans were on their way to the parking lot.

. . . Before the game, owner Mark Davis had a brief and friendly exchange with Harbaugh on the field . . . . ESPN reported last week that the Raiders would be interested in trading for Harbaugh, a deal that would require Harbaugh’s consent.

There were signs in the stands imploring Harbaugh to come to Oakland. Harbaugh declined to entertain questions about his future . . . .

No one knows what Harbaugh’s future is, or what the 49ers’ future is. Because right now, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel.
http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Killion-49ers-show-no-signs-of-life-in-a-5942077.php

#57 ·
Looks like the Raiders may be closer to moving to LA than expected, though they seem to be flirting with San Antonio.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matie...hips-for-Oakland-officers-working-5940058.php

Goal line stance: The Oakland Raiders are sending mixed signals about whether they intend to extend their lease at the Coliseum next year.

According to Chris Dobbins, a member of the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum Authority, which oversees the stadium, the team isn’t accepting season ticket renewals for next year — with just two home games left this season, including Sunday’s stand against the 49ers.

Dobbins, who also belongs to Save Oakland Sports — a booster group dedicated to keeping both the Raiders and Oakland A’s playing in town — said two of their members showed up at the Raiders box office this past week hoping to renew their season tickets. Instead, they were turned away.

Another member of the group then contacted Raiders executive Marc Badain, according to Dobbins, “who confirmed they were not accepting season tickets deposits because there is no stadium deal in place.’’

The Raiders did not immediately respond to our calls seeking comment.

The Raiders have let it be known they are in talks with San Antonio officials about a possible move to the 65,000-seat Alamodome, and they are also reported to be eying a possible move back to L.A. if a new stadium is built there.

The city of Oakland, meanwhile, has given a group planning a Coliseum City development, possibly with new homes for both the Raiders and A’s, until the end of the month to come up with an agreement to finance the project. But neither team has officially gotten behind the effort.
If the Raiders leave for LA, Oakland will likely give development rights to the A's to keep them in Oakland, so they won't move. Otherwise if Raiders were to get the deal with Oakland, the A's will want to move, if they can't get San Jose they may move out to another market, but that is way off.

#59 ·
Looks like the Raiders may be closer to moving to LA than expected, though they seem to be flirting with San Antonio.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matie...hips-for-Oakland-officers-working-5940058.php

If the Raiders leave for LA, Oakland will likely give development rights to the A's to keep them in Oakland, so they won't move. Otherwise if Raiders were to get the deal with Oakland, the A's will want to move, if they can't get San Jose they may move out to another market, but that is way off.
No chance of the Raiders moving to SA; not a single owner would vote in favor.

The Raiders would already be in LA but the NFL is holding out for the best possible deal down there. The latest seems to be Davis giving up a piece of ownership for a place to play in, either downtown or Inglewood.

As you say, the last chance for keeping one team is to fund the stadium through giving away development rights. Much less obvious to the electorate that a billion or so of their money is being given away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.