SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Travel Questions: San Francisco Bay Area

156K views 369 replies 130 participants last post by  SutroTower 
#1 ·
I'm going to Santa Rosa in a couple weeks for business and I'm flying into San Fran. I've been to SoCal countless times, but I've never been to San Fran or anywhere in NorCal.

Any suggestions of where to stop on the way from SFO to Santa Rosa to get good pics of the city? I mapquested my trip to Santa Rosa, and it appears that I'm going to take the Golden Gate bridge, does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

#55 ·
If you stay in the Nob Hill area or Union Square area it's close to a "center feel" to all other parts of the city that you might like to go to for a relatively short walk or commute. I stayed in Nob Hill on Powell Street. A wonderful central location to all the areas that are traditionally visited. When I go back I'll search for a room in that area again. :)

#64 ·
vadin said:
I don't think that is "wilderness". If I'm not mistaken, that picture looks like it was taken from Alcatraz.
it must be. if not, Alcatraz would have to appear in the waters north of the Wharf/Pier 39 area and clearly it does not. Yet from sheer perspective, the picture looks so much further out than Alcatraz, almost an Angel Island perspective.

#68 · (Edited)
Are there any good areas of SF that aren't horribly touristy?

Whenever I am in SF, I feel like everyone I see in a tourist. I feel like it's Prague or something. The area around Pier 39 (or whatever) just seemed very tacky and fake, and although I loved the city (and especially Golden Gate Park), it just seemed like either I hadn't seen it all, or it was kind of a fake city like Las Vegas.

#72 ·
Badgers77 said:
Whenever I am in SF, I feel like everyone I see in a tourist. I feel like it's Prague or something. The area around Pier 39 (or whatever) just seemed very tacky and fake, and although I loved the city (and especially Golden Gate Park), it just seemed like either I hadn't seen it all, or it was kind of a fake city like Las Vegas.
Do you go anywhere in SF besides the tourist areas? That might explain something.
For future reference, SF residents basically never go to Pier 39/fisherman's wharf (because yes, it IS fake. Very fake). Except with visiting friends...or to go to In and Out Burger.

And you kind of answered your own question...You said you liked the city, but you hadn't seen it all. Next time be more adventurous. Most tourist maps neglect to show or even mention almost half of the city, afterall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.