SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Travel Questions: San Francisco Bay Area

156K views 369 replies 130 participants last post by  SutroTower 
#1 ·
I'm going to Santa Rosa in a couple weeks for business and I'm flying into San Fran. I've been to SoCal countless times, but I've never been to San Fran or anywhere in NorCal.

Any suggestions of where to stop on the way from SFO to Santa Rosa to get good pics of the city? I mapquested my trip to Santa Rosa, and it appears that I'm going to take the Golden Gate bridge, does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

#149 ·
First time in San Francisco... seeking advice

Hi, I'm leaving Saturday morning from New Orleans with three friends of mine and heading to San Francisco for vacation. I've never been there before, so I'm completely in the dark. Being from New Orleans, I wanted to go to a city that also has its own unique character... so SF is what we came up with. We're all in our late 20's. Just trying to get some suggestions on good areas to go bar hopping, etc... Would like to try to go to some areas that locals go. I guess I should clarify... sorry if this is offensive... but we're not gay, so steer us away from those areas. Also, are there any touristy things that you would NOT reccomend? Areas of town to avoid? We're staying at the Clift Hotel, which I've been told is a pretty nice place that is in a good central location. Thanks for any help.

#150 ·
Well I'm not much into night bar scene, but I suggest the Fillmore district if you are into the bohemian style, or North Beach, the Italian neigborhood with good cafés and more European style.

Other things you can do is visit famous landmarks such Coit Tower, Twin Peaks, the Bridges, etc. I don't recommend Fisherman's Wharf, it's too much touristy, and not local life, but you are free to go.

One thing to say, not all San Franciscans are gay.

Enjoy your visit your stay here in Bay Area.

#151 ·
Thanks for the tips. I hesitated to put the gay thing in there, but being from New Orleans, there are certainly large areas of this city that might make someone not of that persuasion a bit uncomfortable. I've heard people say the same thing you did about Fisherman's Wharf. But thanks again for the help... looking forward to the trip!

#154 ·
These are some of your best bets beautiful panoramic views

The only skyscraper that would offer great views from the top would be the Top of the Mark Bar on the top floor of the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel on Nob Hill. For other great spots try:

The Marin headlands just above the Golden Gate Bridge. Right below, the vista point, also on the north side of the bridge offers great views.

the top of twin peaks offers the almost 360 degree views.

Anywhere on the trail that circles Angel Island. from here every turn is a great view.

I've also seen some great shots taken from the hills above Berkley.

#157 ·
What to do in Seattle and San Francisco?

Hello :)

i am doing a round the world trip this december and my last two destinations will be Seattle and San Francisco
so i was wondering as a tourist what can i do in those cities? Can someone show me some pics of those cities?
any nice diners where i can eat? does seattle have a gay area? Thanks in advance

#158 ·
#163 ·
What sort of things are you seeking? When in Seattle, just be sure to pack light rain gear. Layer up, it can get chilly. Of course, while in Seattle, you can visit the top attractions (Pike Place Market, Space Needle, EMP). I'd check out the different museums. Seattle Art Museum, Seattle Asian Art Museum, the Frye, Henry Art Gallery, Northwest African American Museum, Wing Luke Asian Museum, Museum of Flight. The Washington Arboretum might be a great place for a winter walk, plenty of trees, winter blooming and it's free. You can also take a trip outside of the city. Go to Snoqualmie Falls or the Olympic Peninsula. Mt. Rainier is difficult to visit during that time of the year because of snow and harsh weather conditions. Oh yeah, ride the Seattle-Bainbridge Island Ferry. It's short (about 35 minutes one way) and scenic. I hope your trip goes well. If you want a personal tour guide for a day, let me know. It might sound odd, but I enjoy showing people around and love meeting folks from abroad as well. If you want a night out, my friends and I are active and loads of fun. I could PM my email to you. Good luck. Seattle and San Francisco are both great cities.

#164 · (Edited)
San Francisco is really pretty safe. I am just saying that there are alot of agressive panhandlers out there even in the tourist areas. San Francisco is now so gentrified that no really bad areas of town exist, outside of maybe parts of the Tenderloin or Hunters Point.

Just ignore them and you will be fine.

#169 ·
Seattle Diners:

Beth's in Green lake.
Roxy's in Fremont
Vera's in Ballard
5 Spot in Queen anne, although this one doesn't have that "diner feel" like the other three, in particular Vera's.

There's probably more, but these are the only three popping out at me at the moment. Seattle could actually use a couple more diners and about a dozen less (bad) pizza places.

#175 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.