daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Beyond Australia & New Zealand

Beyond Australia & New Zealand A local perspective on what's happening overseas

Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #1
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 24

Walking in NYC (Mott Haven, The Bronx)

Hey guys, welcome to another of my NYC neighborhood photo tours. These were taken in early March. This neighborhood is in the Bronx. This is one of the most talk about neighborhood in NYC. This is the neighborhood that in the 60's to the 90's, Hollywood portrayed as the worst part of NYC. Yeah during the 70's and the 80's, the Bronx was looking bad. It had too many fires and some of the areas did look like the aftermath of a warzone. People were indeed escaping the South Bronx if they could. By the 90's the South Bronx had one of the highest crimes in NYC. Today the South Bronx has low crime and it looks so much better and more vibrant. New immigrants are moving to the neighborhod because it is an affordable option in the city. Please enjoy my pics!

Mott Haven, The Bronx:

• Mott Haven is a neighborhood of Bronx.
  • The community was named for Jordan Mott, who built an iron works here in 1828.
  • Elevation is 36 feet.
  • Bounded by East 149th Street, Saint Mary's Park, the Harlem River and the East River.
  • Piano manufacturing was an important industry from the late 1800s to the 1940s
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genIn...?locIndex=1208

Mott Haven was the first neighborhood to give rise to the term "South Bronx". In the 1940s when the Bronx was usually divided into the East Bronx and West Bronx, a group of social workers identified a pocket of poverty in Mott Haven and called it the South Bronx. This pocket of poverty greatly expanded northward, following the post-war phenomenon colloquially referred to as white flight, reaching a peak in the 1970s when the North Bronx-South Bronx boundary reached Fordham Road. Today the North Bronx-South Bronx distinction remains more common than the traditional East Bronx-West Bronx distinction, and some still regard Fordham Road as the boundary.

http://www.answers.com/topic/mott-haven-bronx

* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." - In record numbers, city's residents say they 'love' New York

Last edited by krull; April 2nd, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM   #2
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Looks ok. Not as nice as the other areas but you wouldn't want every area the same. Looks great in terms of the urban environment. Btw where is Jenny from the block??? = Hollywood :P

Krull i'm really loving your threads keep them up. Do you take requests for your next one??
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #3
krull
In Time

Glad you enjoy the pics. This is actually one of the poorest areas in the country. Most People here make less money compare to other areas of the city. But yet the area does not look like any other poor area in any city of the USA. Most of those other poor areas look pretty much half abandon. I like the South Bronx and its vibrancy.

Sure zulu69 tell me what is your request.
* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." - In record numbers, city's residents say they 'love' New York
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

^ cheers mate. I would love a stroll around the financial quarter/downtown. I love that area and it is what i think of when i think of the quintessential NYC with all those movers and shakers' .
No rush at all, and thanks for these fab threads once again.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Shumway
Overwatch Nexus

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull View Post
Sure zulu69 tell me what is your request.
Great pics Krull. I'll pop in a request to see some pics of Greenwich Village if you can?? Nice work, you're lucky to be able to walk NYC!
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #6
wenxe
wenxe

Likes (Received): 1

I enjoyed a lot these photos !! .. i think that The Bronx has his own magic ! (( sorry for my english xD )) ,, greetings from Argentina _lucaS
wenxe no está en línea   Reply With Quote